Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOLBB Plus Trial and uprgade....

• 04-04-2005 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭

let me see where do i begin....

ok, you know the way alot of people on iolbb plus are saying that they have been upgraded to 1024 instead of 2048...i may know why.

I ordered IOLBB+ last october and had it by the end of the month, got my 3 month free trial and swapped the phone line rental and calls all to esat. I've had no complaints from the service everything has been working fine on the plus package until this upgrade left me with a 1mbit line instead of 2mbit.

Today i rang up IOL tech support to report/find out what was going on with it all, it seems that although i ordered the IOLBB+ pack and have been working from the plus pack since end of october, well they only have me down as being on IOLBB not on Plus.

Now i went through the 3 month trial and stayed with them so got the 4th month free, we've have a phone bill or two from them but our next bill would have been the first to include internet charges for the broadband. I was told that IOL were only billing me for standard broadband and that's why i only got the 1mbit upgrade. So now i have to go and request the upgrade to IOLBB+

Having said all that the really bizarre thing is that i have been physically connected to the plus package just their system shows me as standard broadband. I can tell i'm on broadband plus in a few ways.

1) Pings
    i can ping boards with an average of 26ms and yahoo.co.uk on average of 34ms
    if i go to either my brother or my girlfriends house (both on IOLBB not plus)
    they both ping boards at approx 38ms and yahoo at approx 47ms

2) Games
    pings to uk servers for me here average 40ms while playing a jolt server with approx 10 people in it
    brothers/gf's house on the same server starts hitting 60-70ms

3) The Cap
    iolbb is 8gb, iolbb+ is 16Gb
    throughout the last 5 months i've been keeping an eye on what i download and making sure not to go over the limit, never got a warning going over 8Gb's, got it when i was over the 16Gb though

I explained all of this while on the phone today and was told that they only do a trial on IOLBB and not on BB+, at the end of the trial you are supposed to request the change and then it will be done, she could'nt explain how i seemed to physically have been connected to the plus package but on their systems i was down as a starndard BB user, said i was very lucky but if i wanted the 2mbit line i would have to request the upgrade so that it could be done.

This might just go a long way to explaining why alot of people only got 1mbit instead of the 2mbit for the plus package, it seems they may have you down on the system as a standard IOLBB user and not a IOLBB+ user after all.

My advice, ring them.

Anyone else had this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Eye wrote:
    I explained all of this while on the phone today and was told that they only do a trial on IOLBB and not on BB+
    That person is telling you crap, im in my second month of the plus package right now and i can tell you i have 2mbit.

Btw your advise is good to the people that may have the same issue as yourself.

One other thing when you ordered the trial last year did you get a webcam and a norton cd, because if you did you were on the bb+ package

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Sparky_S wrote:
    One other thing when you ordered the trial last year did you get a webcam and a norton cd, because if you did you were on the bb+ package

Is that true? Then I am obviously on the BB+ package and the IOL Tech Staff are just talking jibberish to me. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Winters wrote:
    Is that true? Then I am obviously on the BB+ package and the IOL Tech Staff are just talking jibberish to me. :mad:
    Unfortunately that's what they're trained to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Eye

yeah i got the whole webcam and internet security package from them.

funny this is my girlfriend just got the standard iolbb in february and she got the cam and norton internet security to, they must be just getting rid of the things up there or something ;)

but yeah i know i've been on the plus pack, get the warnings about exceeding the limit when i'm downloading alot of stuff, so i back off a bit then try to keep within the 16Gb's and ususally i can, but last month i went to about 17Gb and was getting the message "You have exceeded you download limit for this month!!!" LoL

just wanted to warn people that even if you have ordered and been sent the plus pack, check and make sure they have it on your account coz this is just turning out to be a right pain in the a$$ now

The thing about this however is the fact that we were clearly 'downgraded' with the 'upgrade'. Before the weekend I would never get a warning unless I was close to 16GB which points out that I was on the plus package. Since the weekend I now have warnings telling me I'm going to go over my cap in 20 days or so.

I'll be calling IOL to sort this out later today hopefully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Winters wrote:
    I'll be calling IOL to sort this out later today hopefully.
    Don't! I get those warnings and they are normal you should have been getting those warnings before. There is no need to worry about them, they are normal.

Don't! I get those warnings and they are normal you should have been getting those warnings before. There is no need to worry about them, they are normal.

I think you mis understood me. The cap example shows that I have always been on the 16GB cap and therefor always been on the BB+ / Enhanced package.

If I was on the regular (8G cap) for the last 8 months or so I would have got those warnings a lot more (every month), and I would have also got the 'You are over your cap' warning too (every month).

Winters wrote:
    If I was on the regular (8G cap) for the last 8 months or so I would have got those warnings a lot more (every month), and I would have also got the 'You are over your cap' warning too (every month).
    Well I have the warnings right now, but that's because I'm in danger of breaking my cap right now. Are you sure you are not?

I've only ever got those warnings before once when I was on about 15GB and still had a few days left in the month. Thay was towards the end of last year however.

I havn't been doing any excessive or out of the ordinary downloading so far this month, actually, probably less then normal so Its odd to see the warnings up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭julius

Well I have the warnings right now, but that's because I'm in danger of breaking my cap right now. Are you sure you are not?

Your in danger of breaking a 8GB or 16GB CAP already!!!

Tsh...tsh...tsh....I hope you dont get a nasty surprise in your next bill when you go twice over your CAP this month!!!

• Advertisement

Winters wrote:
    I havn't been doing any excessive or out of the ordinary downloading so far this month, actually, probably less then normal so Its odd to see the warnings up.
    All right then, I have 6GB downloaded that's why I have the warning, I suppose you're not quite that badly off :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Yeah I'm pretty sure there is a mixup. People thinking they are on the plus package because they get the 16gb cap, but only getting 1mb. I'm going to ring soon. I'll get back to you all soon. Oh and the reasons you may be getting a warning now rather than before is because I think they fixed it. I got a 24 days left warning after downloading 2 gigs in four days. Which is about right. I used to never get these warnings til I was about 12gigs in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭NóMur

I was on the plus package but only getting the standard package I posted the details in the other thread here

Advertisement