Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible to split cable modem nto two computers?

Options
  • 04-04-2005 11:56pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Am getting a second computer and going to put it upstairs,
    My question is fairly simple. am I able to get a two way splitter for the network cable from the cable modem and plug it into the computer upstairs? like it used to be possible with two phone lines, would both computers have net access?
    if not, what would be the cheapest way of networking both of them
    appreate responces
    (also its NTL bb modem)

Comments

Lenny wrote:
    Am getting a second computer and going to put it upstairs,
    My question is fairly simple. am I able to get a two way splitter for the network cable from the cable modem and plug it into the computer upstairs? like it used to be possible with two phone lines, would both computers have net access?
    if not, what would be the cheapest way of networking both of them
    appreate responces
    (also its NTL bb modem)

In theory It should work. If wired correctly the two computers will broadcast onto the same cable. Ethernet should handle the collisions as it is designed to do.

Why not just spend 50 quid on a mini switch?

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Sysiphus

Go on ebay and buy a nice cheap wireless router with hub / switch and wireless pc card and save running cables altogether!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

If I did it that way, what would the computer be like for online gaming upstairs?
    I don't have a notion of networking pcs, so this switch thing.. I basicly have the two of them hooked up to it, and whenever I want to go on the net on one of them I flip the switch over to pc1 or pc2 whichever I want to browse the net on?

If you want gaming then forget the wireless solution.

Get an autosensing switch, connect the ethernet cable from your modem into the switch, run another cable from the switch to your pc downstairs and another from a seperate port to you pc up stairs and you should be sorted (presuming that your modemm is set to give out dhcp address! did you need to change the IP setting on your pc to get web access?? if the answer is no then, your sorted)

Also you can browse on both at the same time, network just like in an office, all in tandem.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

I like the sound of that idea, and gaming would be pssible, netowkring gaming betweek the both of them and online?
    I do not have to change any settings with this cable modem when I plug it into different computers
    I may take the easy way and just apply for that eircom free 3 month trial for the pc upstairs

• Advertisement

If you have bb downstairs the switch will provide bb to both pc's, so you don't need to get a second eircom connection, if that is your intention.

Yea but I have ntl bb. so I think I may take advantage of eircoms/esats free 3 month trial for the computer upstairs and just get rid of it when its up. but would like the two netwoked aswell so i can transfare files between the pcs too

just go with the switch and don't bother with eircom, as then you'll have two dhcp servers, two gateways, might cause a few problems as regards the pc's talking to each other

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

You can't just plug a modem into a switch. There has to be a router. I don't know what sort of modem NTL give out, but it may also function as a router. In which case a switch (like this) will do. If not, you need something like this. They both cost about the same any way.

As for a wireless solution, the main drawback is that it will cost a bit more, but it will not increase your ping times for gaming in any way. Network transfer speeds are a bit lower, but nothing major. The obvious advantage is not having to run cables.

I was assuming that since the modem is giving a dhcp it is acting like a router a la the eircom netopia box. mos dsl modems do.

as for wireless, sometimes the latency is a drag for fast games, as it tends to packet burst, like sat, and not stream like cable. Should be usable but every now and then with interferance may stutter.

• Advertisement

Not all do though, especially with single port ethernet modems where there's no need for the manufacterer to add it. The netopia can connect two pc's iirc, so it has to have it. I wouldn't assume it with any single port modem.

EDIT: NTL's modem will not function as a router according to their faq, you'll need to buy one. http://www.ntl.com/locales/ie/en/athome/internet_faqs_technical.html#38

For normal operation, the wireless latency will be <1ms. If there are spikes, then I certainly haven't noticed them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

meh edited becuase I'm being narky towards the poster who said wireless isint viable.

Simply that information is totally incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

802.11b is pefectly ok for playing games with. I've a wifi network running two miles here, Getting pings of 1ms from dos ping and 4ms from Counterstrike Source. Now that ping is unbeatable. I have a internal wired ethernet network here and i'm getting pings of 10ms through a switch. Now Having computers directly connected closly in my room are getting over twice the size pings as my 2Mile long Wireless network running on 11mbit 802.11b. I'll admit though I have good technology with the wireless but still you should get good latency with normal wifi products.
    People think because wireless can't take as much bandwidth that its 'slower'. this is not through, speeds and bandwidth are a totally seperate issue. with 11mbit you can transfer roughly 1.5 - 2MB/SEC, this is plenty for Games!, all they transfering mostly is numbers, no textures are transfered (afaik anyway).
    I would go ahead with WiFi if its just games and internet you planning on using. If your sharing music and files etc, then a wired network might be considered, but even at that it is still not that bad. You could go with 802.11g and have 54mbit speeds or some devices will allow turbo at max 108MBit.

.. and by the way sat is a totally different scenario.

Hope this helps a little.

Webmonkey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭BigO

Webmonkey wrote:
    802.11b is pefectly ok for playing games with. I've a wifi network running two miles here
    Yeah wifi is grand for games!

btw what type of aerials/router are you using for that ?

If I went the wireless(is this the same as wifi?) way, would the two computer be networked for play network games? I know what you mean about it being a bit slower for the transfare of music/films from each pc but I doubt I would be doing this much. is cat5(network) cable expensive? as if I was going to go wires I'd need 10+metres maybe near 15 cause I'd be trying to hide the cables going through rooms. Is there a compleate package on komplett for the wireless option with two wireless network cards.
    I think I understand what you mean in fps games on the net, my ping would be the same, but there would be a latency from the wireless to the other comp, 1-4ms doesn't soud to be that much of a problem tho is I was playing a fps game an was already getting about 20ms to the server

Lenny wrote:
    If I went the wireless(is this the same as wifi?) way, would the two computer be networked for play network games?
    Yes to both questions
    Is cat5(network) cable expensive? as if I was going to go wires I'd need 10+metres maybe near 15 cause I'd be trying to hide the cables going through rooms.
    You can get 10m, 15m or 20m cable from peats at €1 a metre.
    Is there a compleate package on komplett for the wireless option with two wireless network cards.
    Take your pick. Any of the PCI or USB bundles will do, depending on whether you want to go internal or external. They all seem to include a 4-port switch, so you only need one wireless card. One PC gets the card, the other connections directly to the access point.

Looking at those wirelss kits look a tad bit expensive for now, and I had heard ethernet cabling was expensive, but seems like peats are cheap enough for it.
    Will try pop into peats this weekend and get 15metres of ehternet cable and the modem that you said on komplett for 30 would be around the same in peats.
    The cable peats supple, does it have the phone ends bit already on them or do I have to put them on myself?
    so thats basicly all i need, that modem. 2 nic cards and the cat5 and then a bit of knoledge and fiddling about and should be up on ruuing, right MrPink? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

The cable from peats should have the RJ45 plugs on it already - unless you're buying a big reel of it to make your own cables.

Lenny wrote:
    so thats basicly all i need, that modem. 2 nic cards and the cat5 and then a bit of knoledge and fiddling about and should be up on ruuing, right MrPink? :)
    Correctamundo. The bit of knowledge is even optional if you're using Win XP which will do most of the work for you. Just ask for the cheapest broadband router that they have. Be prepared to spend more like €50 if you're not buying it online. If you fancy a bit a walk up as far as Parliment St, they'll probably have a better selection in IT Direct.

Yea the it direct place is closer for me as I'm coming from tallaght so I'd get off at the olympia,.. if I bought that one off komplett and add one a tenner postage i might only save about a tenner, will give a phonecall to peats and it direct tomorrow to see which is cheaper. I am using w2k, I'm sure I'll get it sorted there plently of people out there willing to help me set it up, I'll report back on progress :)

• Advertisement

Well, theres not many cheap ones there. cheapest I saw it 70euons, and then if ya included the cable would work aout about 95, might go with a wireless one if I am not gona buy online

BigO wrote:
    Yeah wifi is grand for games!

btw what type of aerials/router are you using for that ?
    I am using a Soekris 4021 MiniBoard with a Buffalo AirStation PC Card hooked up to a Highgain 120x8 degree Horizontally polorised Sector Antenna with a lucent pigtail. StarOS is the Operating system I have running on a compact flash card (Excellent no moving parts at all) Works sweetly.
    Its basically a router as well, got Two Ethernet ports for connections and is Powered over a PoE unit. Neat solution but isn't the cheapest, this only suitable for a big project. A Wrap board would probably be a cheaper solution though plus having the advantage of a 200mhz processor over a 133Mhz thats in the soekris.

Anyways, have fun!

Webmonkey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭julius

Is someone here going to pay €1 for a metre of Cat5e!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats ridiculous.....I pay 25cent a metre and I am not talking of purchasing a 100metre reel for €25 or anything like that.

Do people, who I presume have enough knowledge to understand crimping and such, actually pay €1 for a metre of Cat5e!?!?!?!

Its not that bad of a price, perhaps where you get it is extra value. People will charge all different prices for the crimping.

julius wrote:
    Is someone here going to pay €1 for a metre of Cat5e!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats ridiculous.....I pay 25cent a metre and I am not talking of purchasing a 100metre reel for €25 or anything like that.

Do people, who I presume have enough knowledge to understand crimping and such, actually pay €1 for a metre of Cat5e!?!?!?!

Crimping is a pain in the ass if you are not used to it.

Plus if you don't have a crimper to start out with it will work out more expensive again.

Prices vary wildy on this stuff.
    So how about you add to your "my dick is so big !!11" post and show us where to get said cable for said price. ;)

peats do a 20metre for 20 quid,. I think its just the same price to go wireless

Advertisement