Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Downloading Torrents effect on network connection

• 05-04-2005 12:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭

Downloaded Azureus tonite and got it working (port forwarding etc.)..
    Anyway its running (50/60 KB/Sec, is this good?) but when I have it running it has a disastrous effect on the rest of my connection.

Example - With azureus open, I tried to download coldfusion from macromedia, 11KB/sec, closed Azureus and the coldfusion download shot up to 195KB/sec.... Now, im not expecting both downloads to fly along, but surely the network utilisation for both processes should be balanced?

Is this normal for torrents to dominate the network connection and basically limit all other apps to little or no net connection?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

What is your upload limit set to for bittorrent?

If you set your upload limit too high you'll end up flooding your upload bandwidth and effectively throttle your download bandwith. You may even find that adjusting your upload rate slightly downwards may improve your bittorrent download rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

In a word, Yes.

Limit your upload rate to between 6-9kB/s and you should get improvements.

When all your upload bandwidth is being used, your download suffers aswell (because in tcp/ip you have to upload a confirmation of every packet you download). Capiche?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

capiche....

btw - got any useful sites for torrents?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Keyzer wrote:
    capiche....

btw - got any useful sites for torrents?

the only usful one i know have loads of illegal stuff so i better not mention it here

tuxy wrote:
    the only usful one i know have loads of illegal stuff so i better not mention it here

Thats what pm's are for...

• Advertisement

ok, another question from the torrent virgin...

I tried to change my upload speed to, say 4kb/s, Azureus auto configs the download speed to max 8kb/s, changed dowload speed to 0 (for unlimited), then the upload speed limit changes to 0....
    Anyway around this?

Forget i asked that one....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

man this upgrade is fu€ked up b4 it i was on a 1mb line
    and getting speeds of 100kB`s downloading wit bittorrent
    now iv been upgraded to a 3mb line and getting 30kB`s
    somethings gotta b wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭JB123

Im on 2 megs and was gettin 30k all day gettin 100k now.When I download off say ATI.com i get 225k.What is going on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Anarchist

After reading this thread I lowered my upload from its max 13 to er 3....now faster speeds but how the hell will I keep my ratio lol

and to the last few replies BT you will never hit your normal "max" d/l speed
    read it up somewhere as I can't be arsed as off to bed, being up so late last week and the 2mb upgrade did'nt help my cause ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭padraigf

Bittorrent will be able to hit your normal max d/l speed. It just seems that it can't since this upgrade. Before I was on about 50 kB down 11 kB up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

I normally let Azureus up at 20kb/s and i get big DL speeds - max out when a torrent is well seeded (180k+). 1500/256 btw (NTL). Just dont close the torrents when you are done downloading, let someone else dl off you too.

I was downloading 3 torrents last night, all 3 running at about 40-60 kb/s which is alright in my book...
    Considering the people im downloading from might have limited their upload speeds, and factoring in the difference between dl and ul speeds, I'd say im quite satisfied with these speeds...
    Using p2p I rarely get 3 downloads running at 40-60 kb/s...
    Torrents rock....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Generally similar for me. You should keep your max level at 10-12KB for 128 upload and 20 for 256 download. Also make sure you have remote connections with other users in the torrent as unlike the local connections you can get better results and transfer speeds with remote connections.

Infini wrote:
    You should keep your max level at 10-12KB for 128 upload and 20 for 256 download

allowing for overheads 12 kb is the max up you will get with eircoms home starter/plus
    so what exatcly would the point be of capping you upload to the same speed as your max upload :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

About 10kb upload works best for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

Mine is a solid 110-130kb down and 20kb up all day every day with 80% of torrents I.B.B. here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

tuxy wrote:
    allowing for overheads 12 kb is the max up you will get with eircoms home starter/plus
    so what exatcly would the point be of capping you upload to the same speed as your max upload :confused:

From experience using azureus I found that capping on my NTL connection prevented interference with the download speed. Also it prevents sudden surges in the upstream from killing the doenoad speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

surges in upload wouldnt effect the download or is this the case with cable?

i can download / upload torrents at ~120Kb/~120Kb if i wanted and the download remains constantly @ ~120Kb regardless.

Infini wrote:
    From experience using azureus I found that capping on my NTL connection prevented interference with the download speed. Also it prevents sudden surges in the upstream from killing the doenoad speed.

yes it does help alot but you have to understand that he was talking about eircoms wholesale dsl not ntl
    on eircom dsl 128k up = 12kbs so the speed you were recomending to cap it at was too high

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

lads trust me on this all irish isp`s
    are watching bittorrent traffic
    constantly iv used all clients
    do this try bittornado iv been downloading
    at max my dl speed for ages wit it.
    i think its cuz of the random port range
    bittornado uses it makes it harder for them
    to cap the dl speed. try it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

ricey wrote:
    lads trust me on this all irish isp`s are watching bittorrent traffic constantly

While this *may* be true not all ISP's in Ireland block bittorrent ports,
    Bittornado is far from the best bittorrent client people can use in fairness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Keyzer wrote:
    Forget i asked that one....

BTW if you set your torrent to 0 is pretty lame, you want other to leech to you but you dont want to share ?

Be fre and set it to atleat 8kps !!

Torernt are being killed lately by leechers with low upload rates !!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 ! dwarfchucka

Drapper wrote:
    BTW if you set your torrent to 0 is pretty lame, you want other to leech to you but you dont want to share ?

Setting the rate to 0 means that it is unlimited - very fair in my opinion (although I might limit my own a but more than that!!)

Drapper wrote:

Torernt are being killed lately by leechers with low upload rates !!!!

Setting it to 0 means the upload speed is unlimited..... sheesh...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Keyzer wrote:
    Setting it to 0 means the upload speed is unlimited..... sheesh...

sorry guys.............on my torrent porgramme 0 means no Uploading..........

misunderstand

sorry

Drapper wrote:
    sorry guys.............on my torrent porgramme 0 means no Uploading..........

misunderstand

sorry

No bothers horsebox...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 597 ✭✭✭bambam

been experimenting since my 2Mb/128k upgrade and I can't seem to get past the 130k (ish) download speed on Aruzeus. Anyone else notice a 130k ceiling download with torrents?
    (BTW, I'm talking all green lights in Azureus, and limit of 200 connections per torrent)

edit - should have mentioned I'm using Azureus' UPnP plugin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

I've had no problem hitting 230kb/s with my torrents in azerus. But I have a symetric connection so I'm uploading at about 200kb/s as well. Your d/l speed is a ratio of your u/l, mabye that is limiting you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

I use Azureus myslf and get 110KB - 200KB on most of the torrents I've downloaded since the upgrade. I limited the upload to 2 connections with a 6KB - 8KB upload cap. By halving the number of connections from 2 to 4 you're less likely to be snubbed due to poor upload speeds.

Advertisement