Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone interested in a project?

Options
  • 09-11-2000 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭

Not sure where this should go as it sort of crosses the borders between this board, webmaster, and roleplaying/games and the art animation one....

but I'll post here for now.

I have an idea for an online game. Text based mainly but with visuals (maps etc.) sort of along the lines of Utopia or Planetarion... but nicer, more game like and more thinking involved.

Thing is,

I can design a game, in fact I've gone through three redesigns of this idea and I think I've come up with a nice version - market economic models, combat mechanics, income/expenditure budgetary models as well as a nice bit of demographic research etc. and models for population growth, intergenerational economics and the rest (yes, I am a finance graduate smile.gif ). as well as a nice little plan of how things interact. All easy enough (sort of) so far.

What I can't do is,
    1. anything beyond extremely basic programming
    2. anything beyond normal everyday web stuff
    3. graphics that actually look decent and not drawn by a five year old (though I am good at designing maps etc.)

though I do understand what is involved in the above stuff and I can see where the game mechanics might have to be changed to allow for limitations. The game is most certainly not in it's final stage of design, as it still has to go through the "you can't do that" and "that wouldn't work" and "you're thinking of having a what?" phase of things.

So, basically, I was thinking that, left to myself, this is *never* going to get done. It'll always just be a design plan. Art and Animation board peeps have suggested doing a movie project, there's talk of a short story and literature website from the literature boards... why not something from the programmers (and a few others)?

The game would be free to play, maybe with an ad or two to cover hosting fees (but I hate the idea of shoving ads into the faces of people who just want to enjoy themselves - especially pop ups) so I don't think anyone who takes part could expect to make money out of it. It's just be for fun, you know, ****s and giggles and the like (maybe also an excuse to have "meetings" in a pub smile.gif ).

Well, anyone interested, mail me < lolth@ireland.com > or post.

ricky.gif

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

I'm interested, if only to learn stuff, it would be a good experience too, that's if the project gets of the ground. I can program fairly well in c, have alright web abilities, probably nothing beyond you though. So where do we go from here???

you can e-mail me for more immediate contact at BKEEGA991@stumail.dkit.ie

Oh and by the way programming is pretty much all I can do but I would be willing to lend a hand to others when they are stuck. Again to learn stuff.

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

Give us a bell and I'll see what I can do for you.

Draco

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

I'd definetely be interested. Not too sure if I'd have the time but I'd definetely be able to do a bit here and there.

Skills:
    Perl/CGI
    C
    Java
    MySQL (or whatever really...)
    Most web stuff ('cept flash, hate it smile.gif)

Have you got any design docs that we could take a loot at? Just, you know, a fairly good description of how the game works.

Enygma

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

nice one, that's three so far smile.gif

I'm fairly tied up for two weeks but that'll give time for any others who are interested to think about it.

What ya say that in about two weeks, we meet up and I'll go through the general idea and have design docs and plans ready.

Or there's always email of course smile.gif

I could set up a blog on webmongers.org for it if you like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

havok is doing a computer games design course,he could prolly help you

The supreme irony of life is that no one gets out of it alive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭havok*

finished that course de'bounca smile.gif

Anyways i'd be on for it.
    I cant really programme, h8 it.
    I can help mainly with graphics, animation and game design.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

i would be interested i can do most databases
    cfm
    html
    javascript and that type of stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭Clamor

Hi ya,
    Would be interested from a puerly learning point of view. Have done some web work.
    Drop me a line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Figment

You can count me in for the graphic side of things.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Loomer

I would be keen to be involved. Not a guru in anything but am keen. Maybe be able offer some insight on server setup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Void

Good for you Lolth.
    I hope you know what you are getting into..
    Unfortunately I think you will find that amateur programmers will not get you very far in a project like this. No offence to anyone btw...

If anyone is interested in contributing to a similar established project, have a look at http://hosted.quake.ie/void

So when is this project starting...

btw void your link does not work

[This message has been edited by Baz_ (edited 28-11-2000).]

Well, right now, I'm just catching up on work I missed over the last week... you'd swear they wait for me to come back and then break everything to teach me a lesson for taking holidays!!!

Hopefully I'll have a chance to sort some stuff out during the week, in which case I can mail you the description etc, this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Originally posted by Baz_:
    btw void your link does not work

quake.ie is down atm

[This message has been edited by Sico (edited 28-11-2000).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 TheVamp

Voids link works server must have been down.

As for the game i dop a it of java but would be of no use to ye but here are a few ideas that will need to be done for it to work well e-mail loads of people when its finished talk about it in chat rooms never i mean never join with someone who will let you share their server half way through a round it always screws up the game join at the start E-mail important people companys for advertisement with the aid of banners i.e. get so much for each banner clicked (give something to the player for a banner click but limit it that way youll make more money)
    Have a built in java script chat room on the site none of this mirc crap (well its not crap but i know loads of people who cant use it they really loose out)
    Have a descent scoring system with a few graphics of ships along with names on the production line invokes interest (dont mind my spelling i know its brutal)

Have a catchy logo that will stick in peoples head. have good graphics but not ones that will cause your computer to freeze or have to wait for ever to load it up.
    these are just ideas so dont eat me youll need these in the future i hope it works out for you. tongue.gif

pic24_a.jpg

[This message has been edited by TheVamp (edited 30-11-2000).]

Sorry,

things are going nuts in work right now. My contract finishes at the end of this month and the "powers that be" haven't let my boss know if there will be a replacement or not. I would have thought one of the first priorities would be replacing the single Network/desktop support person in the office! Ah well.

anyway, I just haven't had the time to write things up properly (I made a good bash but then found some bits I didn't like and got involved with trying to modify them....).

As for language... English?? nah, kidding. I honestly don't know. I would suspect a java or vb style. As I said, it's jsut for ****s and giggles, it doesn't *have* to run over the internet.
    I would say that database driven would be better than strings of arrays though.

Ulitmately, as ye will be the ones deciding *how* things get coded and what needs to be altered to code things (and given the high likelihood that you'd know better than I would), that'll be the first thing you'll have to decide.

What language you think will be best. Can everyone contribute to it. Is it better to split it into parts or program a whole.

all part of the lovely project experience I guess.

ie: some guy without a clue about programming says "this would be a good idea".. shows it to the programmer type peeps... programmers say "You're joking"..guy says "no I'm not" .. they say "no way"... guy says "ah c'mon... pleeease".. both sides argue and eventually reach a compromise. Guy goes off and leaves programmers to argue amongst themselves while he prepares to begin battle all over again with the people who want to do the graphics (if there are any). smile.gif

ricky.gif

So how long are we supposed to hold our interests huh????

just kidding what language we using so I can brush up on it??

Good answer,

Well enygma and i both seem to know c, and damnyanks knows database driven programming (in other languages). So I think we have reached our first point of compromise, I obviously vote for c, however since I know not how to program graphics or any such ****, whoever does, I will favour their language of choice.

obviously we can code our own gui or just use an easily made one in vb so that also has its advanteages.

does that clear things up, hope not.

btw maybe they're planning on keeping you on lolth, sorry for botherin ye

I'd really rather do it in either Perl (1st choice) or Java (JSP). Either way it's simple to connect to a DB. I'm not too hot with Web Programming in C but I guess there'd be a need for some backend stuff to be done in C/C++ so...
    I say, whatever language gets it done...

Oh and a web-based one would be a lot more fun really.

My 0.02 Euros

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

i have expertise in..well erm im a good at...

i have some ideas and stuff tongue.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

from what i know c and mysql work pretty good together never tryed it though and also i would really like to help design the site smile.gif that what im best at

I've sent the first part to the email addys you have on your profiles.

If you have a different addy, mail me and let me know.

Clamor, you don't have a contact addy on your profile.

ricky.gif

Advertisement