Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

just got a bbc, need some good mmo's to sate my virtual crack addiction

Options
  • 05-04-2005 5:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭

anyone reccomend to me some really kick ass ones? i dont mind payin for em long as their worth it and dont cost too much.

played d2 online for 3 years on dialup but it just got soooooo borin. thing is ive heard a lot of bad things about games like evq2, swg, wow etc. how much do these mmos cost anyways?

one game i KNOW im buyin is steel batallion lines of contact, i just want the big **** off controller with 50 buttons... mmm.... buttons.... :D

***EDIT***
    oh yea and does anyone play bf1942 online? im *tryin* to play it but its the only game i have thats so laggy online its no fun to play. lookin for a good server to play on.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

EA has terrible netcode in most of their games so i wouldnt bother.

however

MMO's

Ultima online - the daddy, 8 years+ and still going strong, has a 2d and 3d client, large population per server but its kind of dieing out now with the newest mmo's taking players away.

EQ2 - my current pick, it runs very very well on my mediocre system (xp1800 1.25g ram gf4200) and it looks fantastic on its second lowest setting :) cant wait to see it on a higher setting. theres no pvp yet, but the game is still great.

City of Heroes - its fun, cartoony. no tradeskills. pvp is just being added and from hobbes account its damn fun. ive had a go but lack of tradeskills is a killer.

Star wars - sigh, i loved this game. LOVED IT, but it was always broken in some way. pvp was broken, instanced dungeons were broken....jedi were SO broken and then when they tried to fix them they made it worse. i had a pretty decent character but in the end i just gave up.

wow- havent tried but teeth says its good and id trust him

subscriptions tend to be between 10$ and 18$, with discounts if you pay for longer (ie EQ2 3 month subs is 41.99$ (normal price is 44.97$)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

jaggeh wrote:
    City of Heroes - its fun, cartoony. no tradeskills. pvp is just being added and from hobbes account its damn fun. ive had a go but lack of tradeskills is a killer.

I believe they are adding trade skills in issue 5, although it might be 6. There is only one item worth anything in the game and thats hami-Os (Super rare powerups you get from a giant gelatin dessert).

PvP is very fun though at the moment most of the games population are all on the test server playing it.

You can check out SirBruces chart for the current scoreboards on games.
    http://www.mmogchart.com/

There is also the market share chart.
    http://www.mmogchart.com/mmochart-pcgamer.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Why do people keep posting up the "Which Mmorpg for me" there are like 50 of em now try reading em! :p

Diablo 2, a gem of a game, imho. Made by Blizzard Entertainment, same guys who did Starcraft and Warcraft. In fairness, 3 years is quite an amount of time to get out of any game. Granted if you were bored with it afterwards, thats to be expected. Unless you went on a mad killing spree, resulting in your own suicide, I dont think there is a problem.

For the reference, World of Warcraft was made by blizzard also, and a better Mmorpg will be pretty hard to find, in this SoE ruled, day and age.

It fixes alot of problems D2 had, while including a lot more besides. Try it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Yah, there's so many and they can all be quite different. Read up on the games, and if some of them appeal to you, try out trials (if you can).

<3 WoW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

It should be Issue5 alright hobbes you are correct, but it could be pushed back again (doubt it will be though because there would be up-roar).

It would be good to get into COH now with PvP coming soon and with COV at the end of summer maybe you could have a good hero built of to fend off the Villains or join them :D

Don't listen to me though, all I do is pimp COH :D

I did play WoW though, and it just wasn't for me (And I loved Diablo). Give them all a shot of the free month, find one that is good for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

I've been playing www.eve-online.com and its pretty good. I'm on the trial and its the 1st MMO i've played so i've no frame of reference though.

learning curve is steep though. find a good corp early and they'll show you the ropes and maybe donate cash to get you going.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

I'd highly recommend Ragnarok Online, it's absolutely fantastic, and there is quite a wide selection of jobs/classes you ca be. You'd probably want to play in the European servers, as the American one is quite laggy.

The European version is www.euro-ro.net

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

Everyone should get WoW, it's amazing. :) Anyone new to MMOs should definately pick it up and try it before they look at any of the other ones out there.

Teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

Having played some of the others, I have to say it's misleading to say WoW is 'amazing'. It's good (like EQ2 and others), but it has it's problems also (like the others). The server lag problem is astounding that it's still around. Without whatever technical/business problem they're having with the lag, it would indeed be a strong contender for the best game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

Heh well after coming from SWG and Planetside perhaps I have a lot more tolerence to lag and poor performance than most people. The game itself IS amazing however and I would recommend it to anyone, especially someone who is new to MMOs.

I know lots of my friends are now playing WoW as their first MMO and enjoying it immensely. These are people who I would never have recommended DAoC or SWG to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

Drakar wrote:
    Having played some of the others, I have to say it's misleading to say WoW is 'amazing'. It's good (like EQ2 and others), but it has it's problems also (like the others). The server lag problem is astounding that it's still around. Without whatever technical/business problem they're having with the lag, it would indeed be a strong contender for the best game.

the "lag" issue is only really confined to the highest pop servers tbh, and even on them it's not "intolerably" bad, though some of the moaning ( mine included) would make you think otherwise.

however many high and pretty much all low-med pop servers have pretty much 0 issues with lag and would be a great starting point for someone new to MMO's.

A lot of people say EQ2 is good, and it may well be, but it has no PvP and it's made by SOE, which are two reasons enough to keep me far far away from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

NEWBIE ALERT! ;)

I'm reading through the board here as i want to try out one of these games. But there are terms here that I don't recognise - so can someone tell me what PvP is?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

PvP = Player vs. Player - Think Deathmatch, or counter-strike. A player controlled character vs. another Player controlled character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Ivan wrote:
    PvP = Player vs. Player - Think Deathmatch, or counter-strike. A player controlled character vs. another Player controlled character.

I thought that might be it but didn't say so in case I sounded like a noob :D

Advertisement