Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wrestlemania XXI

• 05-04-2005 9:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭

Well, another year has passed and another wrestlemania has gone into history....

Overall i was impressed with 21,there were many great moments through the show. seen as im a hugh fan, my best moment was when "The Immortal" Hulk Hogan came to the aid of Eugene.Here is my view on the matches in the order that i rate them.

Kurt Angle vs Shawn Michaels:
    Quite possibly one of the greatest matches i have ever seen at Wrestlemania, they both really put on a show and when two superb performers combine like they did, you are always going to get a "Slobber Knocker"

"The Legend vs The Legend Killer":
    Another great match, my moment of the match was when Orton reversed the last ride into an RKO.... an interuption from "The Cowboy" Bob Orton brought a little extra something to the match even though he didn't change the out come...... Undertaker..... "The Legend"...... 13 - 0.

Triple H vs Batista:
    I was impressed with Triple H right through the match, he really sold it to the sold out Staple Center, but Batista's performance was poor, if Triple H hadn't been there, it would have been crap.

"Money in the bank":
    I HATE EDGE!!!! i cant believe they let him win it.... after seeing the way Chris Benoit put his body on the line was a sign of how much he wanted it and to be honest, he deserved it!

Eddie Gurrero vs Ray Mesterio:
    It was an ok match.... we saw alot of what we would normally expect from these two but it was a well faught contest..... a great way to get the show rolling!

JBL vs John Cena:
    This was one of the worst Title matches i have ever seen at a main event... John Cena won the match by doing nothing.....Even the crowd thought it was boring!

Womens Championship:
    Crap Match...........But the Girls were hot!

Sumo Match:
    NO COMMENT!

LET ME KNOW WHAT YE THOUGHT OF "WRESTLEMANIA XXI"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭dinjo

I Almost Forgot......

Stone Cold In Pipers Pit Was Brilliant!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Mohanned

I only bothered watching the taker match and he perforned greatly and I also saw HHH and Batista and was glad Batista won

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Id love to know what people actually want when watching Wrestlemania, because if people felt short changed after that, just give up watching Wrestling. Without doubt, that was the best since WM17, and the best pay Per View in a long time.

Eddie Vs Rey was a solid opener. Both were well up for it, and put on a great show. Was dissapointed Eddie didnt win, and maybe a bit dissapointed he didnt heel turn. Some great spots throughout. Good match 8/10

Money in The Bank was outstanding. It was a bit of a spot fest, but no surprisse there really. MVP for me was Benoit, closely followed by Shelton. The T Bone from the top of the ladder was great, as was Benoits flying headbutt, as was Sheltons run across the ladder for the flying clothesline. Dissapointed, if not surprised that Edge won. Benoit and Shelton deserved it on last nights performance, but Im sure Edges storyline will be a good pay-off. 9/10

Orton Vs Taker was a damn sight better than I thought it would be. High point was most certainly Randys reversal of the chokeslam into the RKO. Crowd were quite into this one. Good to see Taker go 13-0.

Womens match was hot.

Kurt Vs HBK was the match with all the build up, and boy did it deliver. To and fro match where no-one was sure who would win. Some great wrestling, some great spots, and some great selling. Both are true legends, and neither deserved to lsoe this match. 10/10

Sumo match was a waste of time. Still wondering was it a 'real' match.

Cena Vs JBL was massively dissapointing. I certainly felt that JBLs title reign deserved a better send off than that. Think of it, in his title reign he has been frog-splashed from the top of a cage, chokeslammed through a limo, chokeslammed off a top rope and put through a barrier, and won. Then a sh*tty FU is all it takes??? It was a 10 minute match which never got going. The crowd didnt care, even when Cena did win. Its too early for him to be champ. 4/10

Batista Vs HHH. I dont think this match was overly poor, but it certainly wasnt Wrestlemania main event standard. It was simply a power match, a slug fest. Thought Batistas clothesline on HHH would behead him, and surprised he won. The crowd did get quite into it.

As for the filler segments, I enjoyed Pipers Pit, thought it put Carlito well over. It was quite funny also. We all totally marked for Hogans entrance when Hassan was in the ring. Brilliant.

All in all, this was a top notch PPV, and a great Wrestlemania. Overall 9/10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,577 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Fun to watch (mostaly) and I enjoyed this at the time but kinda wish i hadn't spent my money on it now, and had waited for the DVD. I felt really let down by the quality of most of the matches, with the obvious exceptions

Eddie Gurrero vs Ray Mesterio:
    As usual good match from these two but thats all it was, it wasn't a ppv quality match and it really should have been better (prob would have it it had been built up) would have much preferred to see Eddie and Ray vs the Dudleys or some other tag team here

Kurt Angle vs Shawn Michaels:
    great match, was worried at the start when it began with lots of rest holds but it lived up to the hype by the end. unfortunately i think michaels made a hash of selling the angle lock, pretending he was losing his leg and then getting up and clapping with a "mild" limp a few minutes later

6 man ladder
    Good match, even kane did well in this but why oh why give it to edge when he invested the least in the match. Granted he took the tbone but that was a mild bump compared to some of the others. glad kane didn't win it but would have preferred to see christian steal it. Edge is just boring at the moment

stratus vs hemme
    Christy Hemmes theme music says it all "see the idiot walk" what a joke, fit finlay must have been crying in back seeing his hard work in the womens division go down the tubes. Even trish seemed pissed off to have to work with christy hemme. after previous matches (victoria and molly most notably) this sucked the big one, worst match of the evening that couldn't even be enhanced by christys boob coming out every few mins. and what was lita doing there??? well apart from cringing as she saw christys version of putting her guard up

sumo
    was this real?

Orton Vs Undertaker
    good match, much better than I was expecting and the only thing that tarnished it was cowboy bob coming out. It was pointless interference that just lessened randys character. was actually shouting for orton to win when he got the RKO. the guy may be limited but he knows how to use his few moves. reminding me more and more of the rock each year

JBL vs John Cena:
    What a waste of space, the entrance with the hundred jbl bills was the best part of this match. boring crap match

Triple H vs Batista:
    another sub par match, but very old school (80s) so i enjoyed it. Thankfully the sledgehammer didn't come out. surprised by the blade job though, a good one but unnecessary

I knew what was coming with the title matches after Vinces wall street comments about batista and cena being the future and getting their chance at wrestlemania but still i was shocked at how shabby some of the matches were.

Forgot to mention Shawns SCM on Angle which came out of nowhere. That was met with a huge pop in the arena, and from where we were watching it. Also, with this match, it was good to see that there was no gimmicks in it, no cheating, just a straight match. It lasted just shy of 30 mins. I was watching the event with Roar, Topdawg and Dinjo, and none of us wanted that match to end.

It was the real main event, it had the most anticiaption, and it delivered in a big way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Have to say my favourite part was Piper taunting the fans who kept on screaming "what??" at him.. the man's a legend..

also Eugene's "you don't like midgets" quip at Hassan made me laugh... as did his "army of midgets" line a few minutes earlier..

as for the actual wrestling, only shawn and kurt really did it for me, to be honest.. maybe the money in the bank match too.. (kane's entrance with all the ladders on fire was class)

rest of the matches were average at best, not really WM standard.. and as for the travesty that was the sumo match... the bookers must have been WASTED when they came up with the idea for that one..

"i know, Big Show in a nappy = ratings!!! BRILLIANT"

One thing i noticed after the show was that there was no major story development or any dramatic heel/face turns by anyone.. a couple of fueds ended (though i'd love to see shawn and kurt keep it going).. none really started..

and I shudder to think how bad Batista's reign is going to be...

Still though, pretty happy with it.. And it's the first time in years that i havent fallen asleep while watching a PPV (and i always watch them on a monday evening!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Stalfos

Taker v Orton was my favourite match since Taker is 13-0.
    Angle v Micheals was a great match as well but the best match of the night goes to Rey v Eddie imo

Thought the show was great but Cena and Batista as champion, What has the WWE done

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Winning Hand

I read somewhere that rey botched alot of the rey eddie match by fixing his mask at every oppertunity. Can anyone lend some light to this?
    Waiting for the DVD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭jonnybadd

Yeah he literally checked his mask every 2 seconds. Ruined the match if you asked me, mainly cause i couldnt stop watching his mask and not the match itself. He did mess up a few because of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,577 ✭✭✭savemejebus

probably couldn't see out of the mask as it kept slipping up over his eyes

• Advertisement

Noticed the mask thing but didnt throw my attention from the match. Dont think there were that many missed spots though. The match was very good with high flying action only eddie and rey could do.

They missed the same spot twice in a row alright, but it certainly didnt ruin the match. It was quite noticeable with his mask alright though.

Also, just a question on the MITB match - was Benoit just selling a bad arm, or was he genuinely injured I wonder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

I think he was just selling. He does the same sell in nearly every match. it looks good though

Think he really hurt his head though, that fall looked bad and that was a nasty bruise on his forehead.
    I heard on Raw he was in a match or something and made it worse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭TOPDAWG

gimmick wrote:
    I was watching the event with Roar, Topdawg and Dinjo

Ya dirty name dropper! CHEAP POP!!!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Brow

Pipers pit was one of my favourite pats of the whole show. Mainly cause Piper is a legend on the mic. Also the Taker/Orton and Michaels/Angle matches were good. I was slightly disapointed overall though woth the main events. And I was kinda expecting more from Eddie/Rey.

Source - http://www.wrestlemag.com/news/index.php?p=205

DVD Extras:

Match Promotional Spots:
    Main Events
    JBL vs. John Cena
    Triple H vs. Batista
    Kurt Angle vs. Shawn Michaels

Wrestlemania 21 Parody Trailers:
    Forrest Gump
    Basic Instinct
    Braveheart