Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone seen eircoms new offer?

• 05-04-2005 9:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭

Hi

What do people make of eircoms new offer versus esats current. Doesnt seem a bad offer at all really

Free connection, wireless router and free 2 months line for roughly 550 for the year. Question does anyone know the model of the wireless router they offer. Would it be completely bog standard as Im looking for one with wireless / router combined 10/100 4 port net ports and wifi - i was considering a netgear model dg834g.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭julius

Im not fan of eircom as they tried to screw me over in the past, but I must say AFAIK they have the BEST DSL OFFER.

Even with iolBB/esatBT you must pay a connection of €80-90.

With the CAPs upped to 8/16GB there is also no difference between the amount of downloading which was a major factor in my choice in iolBB in the first place.

Honestly if I could do it over again I would probale choose eircom over iolBB and most certainly over UTV.

Its a sad day I'm afraid!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 358 ✭✭dkane

Hi, the wireless modem that eircom use is a Netopia 3300W series, see link

http://www.netopia.com/equipment/products/cayman/3000/3300w.html

They are not bad little modems. Wireless + 4 ethernet ports

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Yes I must admit that €ircons offering is - sadly - the best available right now (from the three major bitstream guys) but give it some time and I'm sure Esat will respond.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

julius wrote:
    Im not fan of eircom as they tried to screw me over in the past, but I must say AFAIK they have the BEST DSL OFFER.

Would you not think Smart Telecom's "offer" is better?

UTV and IOL must, must do something. They way you're talking is exactly what is bound to be repeated all over the place. "Why should I go with IOL (for example) when I can get it all on the one bill from Eircom who I'm with now and have no problem with?". If they don't start thinking and offer something better they will lose a lot of new customers.

halenger wrote:

UTV and IOL must, must do something. They way you're talking is exactly what is bound to be repeated all over the place. "Why should I go with IOL (for example) when I can get it all on the one bill from Eircom who I'm with now and have no problem with?". If they don't start thinking and offer something better they will lose a lot of new customers.

Yes Smart's offer is better...but is completely untested and we all know what bad testing gets you...modem speed from a 2mbit line!!!

If iol dont get their thinking caps on then eircom are going to clean up with Smart a close second in the next 6months!!!
    I'm getting more depressed each day that iol dont respond with a change in their cap policy or a scrapping of their installation charge.

BTW.
    Im currently on the iolBB trial and if nothing is charged in regards to their DSL offer...I'll probable end up, with tail between my legs, returning to eircom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

if you change your voice calls over to esatbt as well then you dont have to pay the €80 installation fee and you get a 4th month bb free.
    I went for their Iolbb+ and voice pacakage http://www.iol.ie/bundles/bbplus_adv.htm this means that you pay €40p.m. for the iolbb+ as opposed to €54.45 for ericom's bbplus

The inclusion of the wireless router in the eircom package is a good plus though.
    However its only 802.11b. Works fine if you just want to use it for internet access but if you want to use it for a home lan its quite slow.

cant compare it to Smarts offering as they wont be rolling out on my exchange anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭flop

I think a lot of us are in the same boat, I'm planning to move from UTV ASAP, but am waiting to see if iol do something with their CAP, otherwise it's a case of checking out Digiweb, with a 20gb cap they seem the best of the bunch, but Eircom look attractive too (sigh!), i and i swore i would never give another cent to eircom.

Has the world turned upside down?
    Flop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

halenger wrote:
    Oh yes....except no one has it and you may have to change your number and they are only interested in certain exchanges. I'd say you need to give Smart another 4 months before everything is cleared up and running smoothly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

dkane wrote:
    Hi, the wireless modem that eircom use is a Netopia 3300W series, see link

http://www.netopia.com/equipment/products/cayman/3000/3300w.html

They are not bad little modems. Wireless + 4 ethernet ports
    The new offer comes with the new netopia wireless modem (forget the model number), its a 802.11g, comes with WEP enabled, and VPN support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

in the end I went for the eircom home plus offer. Did all the numbers and surisingly it is the best value at the moment (shock!) plus you are only stuck with a 6 month contracts and 2 of that is free so im pretty happy with it - i guess the only dark cloud could be esat doubling their caps again - anyone see that happening? I got sick of waiting for "the next big offer" though...

Cheers for the info re the wireless - the page of info on the eircom page does say its an 802.11 b not g though http://www.eircom.ie/cgi-bin/bvsm/bveircom/store/productDetails.jsp - still its free and if its not up to scratch ill get the one i intended to buy anyway

• Advertisement

The site needs to be updated, we only got training on the new modem last week... might be a few weeks actually! :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

azezil wrote:
    The site needs to be updated, we only got training on the new modem last week... might be a few weeks actually! :)

Oh Dear God we all screwed, your working for Ericom :eek:
    Ah only joking...with any luck you'll set a few muppets straight regarding BB info and such.

Oh I know, I cringe whilst listening to some of the agents sitting near me, the ****e they come out with >_<

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭DingChavez

azezil wrote:
    The new offer comes with the new netopia wireless modem (forget the model number), its a 802.11g, comes with WEP enabled, and VPN support.

I heard someone say that we order customers can order the new W-router from Eircom at a discount. Does anyone know anything about it?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Avoid Digiweb to be honest. Not great at all. I have the Wireless option but now my line qualifies for DSL. They want a cancellation fee for the wireless and a connection fee for the DSL. The reason the wireless don't suit is cos generally its not as advertised, its unreliable, sporadic and can be very lossy. check these bad-boy stats out from Sunday when I wanted to burn Digiweb down (I'm local to their HQ).

Packets: Sent = 19200, Received = 15386, Lost = 3814 (19% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 6ms, Maximum = 2786ms, Average = 219ms

Yup thats an average 219ms ping to my gateway and 19% of those were lost. Gack.
    And they want a cancellation fee for me to move to another technology.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭Kramer

I'd definitely go with Eircom's home starter plus:
    2GB downstream and 128k upstream.*

as stated on their comparison page.

2GB downstream :D

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Lionheart

Looking at the Terms and conditions of Eircoms offer:

"2.3 The Facility is available at different levels. Each level has a particular bandwidth and a monthly upload and monthly download limit."

I could not find any upload limit mentioned anywhere.

Is the upload limit the same as the download limit or are they combined when determining the total used?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i just saw the updated ad on tv about the wireless modem and up to 4x faster.

in the small print it says terms and conditions apply trial subject to 6 month contract

have they halfed their contract period?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭Kramer

Cremo wrote:
    have they halfed their contract period?

Yep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

that is pretty decent of them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

upload limit of 1GB on home start, no limit on home plus.

6-month contract with the first 2 months free, as detailed previously,

ANd yeah, i noticed that typo on the comparison page lol, me owuld love that 2GB downstream lol :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

azezil wrote:

You sure its 802.11g? the netopia site seems to list it as 802.11b on the pdf datasheet and webpages - seems to be the only wifi model they do

Well I'm certain that's what I was told ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Has anyone got the link to the details on the eircom website regarding the 6 month contract, I have just received my modem yesterday and intend to cancel after the 2 months but I might be tempted to stay for the 6 months if I can.

Hey Jip,

Nice way to leech the service from eircom, even though the monies that actual customers pay for their broadband is subsidising your free trial!!!
    If you intend to screw the system, then please keep it to yourself as a lot of people get P!ssed off with attitudes like yours!!

Shut up you muppet, you really are a loser aren't you. Get a life and don't be minding what other people do that don't affect you. You've no idea the reasoning or circumstances behind what or why I'm doing what I do.

Screwing the system, don't make me laugh :rolleyes:

So back to the original question before we were so rudely interrupted, anyone got any links ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

you are on the OLD trial Jip so its a 12 month contract for you if you go beyond 2 months :)

I was thinking that but I rang up yesterday and asked for a wireless modem and they said they'd sent it out to me (kindly paid for by julius).
    I'm sure if I tell them I'll continue with them if only on a 6 month contract otherwise I'd cancel they'd allow me. I just haven't found the details on their website.

Jip wrote:
    Shut up you muppet, you really are a loser aren't you. Get a life and don't be minding what other people do that don't affect you. You've no idea the reasoning or circumstances behind what or why I'm doing what I do.

Screwing the system, don't make me laugh :rolleyes:

So back to the original question before we were so rudely interrupted, anyone got any links ?

Hahahahahahahaha!!!!

A very mature response Jip and just what I would expect from a child who has been chastised for being bad.
    Remember the trial was designed to get people interested in broadband and not to be exploited by children like you Jip.
    A very mature response indeed.

Also
    Please dont call me a muppet as I am a human being.
    If you fascinations with muppets continue I suggest to go here:
    [b]www.muppetcentral.com/[/b]

Have fun!

• Advertisement

Oh but I am interested in Broadband, I'm especially interested in having it free for 2 months, only a fool wouldn't be. And of course I'm going to have fun, fun with my free broadband connection that you seem to think you're paying for :)

Ok, fair enough, I was out of order calling you a muppet when you're obviously one of these little lads.....

Advertisement