Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If a phone is reflashed does this...

Options
  • 05-04-2005 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭

remove the network sim lock, preventing one from putting another networks sim in, ie does it rewrite the whole operating system of the phone resetting defaults?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

deoendds what you mean with reflashing.
    if you mean upgrading the Software, then it normally stays sim locked to the company who the phone was distributed to in the first place.
    so if you had a simlocked O2 phone, it will be re locked back to them and stay branded to them, normally if the phone was unlocked then they can set this straight away aswell for you.

but Software upgrade will set the phone to factory default, deleting all your data

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

well what do phone repair facilities do? every time ive sent a phone to be repaired with symptoms of freezing or randomly powering off etc it comes back sim unlocked, i persume they reflash it totally as if its buggy it would be better to write the OS afresh and not upgrade it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

if you have a problem with phone freezing then most of the repair centres flash it with new software. it has happened to me afew times- i am actually going again today to get my 6230 flashed with latest 6230 software as i bought it last week and it keeps freezing for some reason

if ur phone is network locked, can u check after they reflash it, i reakon it will be sim card unlocked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

i think once they flash it they can take all settings off the phone. i am not an expert but i get it done sometimes from a nokia agent in bray and he flashs them perfect. all the information is gone from the fone.

• Advertisement

drdre wrote:
    i think once they flash it they can take all settings off the phone. i am not an expert but i get it done sometimes from a nokia agent in bray and he flashs them perfect. all the information is gone from the fone.

i think u are right, the main processors operating system is wiped on reflash and all locks including sim locks are reset to default.handy ;)

It depends on the manufacturer. Motorola phones certainly don't get unlocked by a software reflash, I've tried it myself.

But... they can be locked by a s/w reflash... so lets say you had a V550 and got it clipped. If it broke and you sent it to be repaired it might actually come back locked!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭wolfman

Flashing a phone does not unlock it.
    If your phone is locked before a flash, it will be locked afterwards and if its unlocked before, it will be unlocked after.

If however, you send a locked phone to be flashed and it comes back unlocked, then somebody out there likes you as this is a seperate operation to flashing it

Advertisement