Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE Widecreen

• 05-04-2005 10:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,023 ✭✭✭

Is there any technical reason why RTE and TV3 cannot broadcast in Widescreen
    on analogue terrestrial?
    I know that most of the TV's out there are still 4:3. But is that the only reason?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

It is my understading that true widescreen can only be broadcast properly over digital which is why we in the north flocked to by Freeview digiboxes on release.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

what could be an idea is if RTE broadcasted 2 seperate feeds for each channel one feed would be 4.3 and another feed would be 16.9

But most people who have widescreen tvs who want WS broadcasting go and get digital tv like sky or NTL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 248 ✭✭Ozzie

Breaking News.....(?)......

I think that RTE ONE (Shortland Street) and RTE TWO (Hi 5) both broadcasting in widescreen at 12.15pm. The channel logos are aligned correctly, so maybe they've finally done it! Suits me as I finally bought a widescreen TV last month!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Yea the dog's are correct when in widescreen mode but when the prog. is in 4.3 the logos still stay at there 16.9 positions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Widescreen

RTE should ditch the DOGS. The Irish channels are the only ones in the UK/Ireland that feel they need them.We all know where RTE is. They only serve to screw up the picture at certain times.

• Advertisement

RTE should ditch the DOGS. The Irish channels are the only terrestrial ones in the UK/Ireland that feel they need them.We all know where RTE is. They only serve to screw up the picture at certain times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

for a while there i thought that thats what they did

no DOG's on One or Two on Satellite but still there on analogue. alas they came back and that DEN dog looks horrific

then i noticed on eastenders it was still 14:9 even on satellite so what gives RTÉ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

RTE 1 is widescreen anamorphic as we type.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭TVDX

Let's start an RTE widescreen check list.

When you see a program in widescreen, mention it here.

I have so far seen, "Shortland Street" and some wildlife documentary.

Can you add to this list?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Scottish paddy

The first thing to spot is a widescreen RTÉ studio production. That will show how serious they are about widescreen. Most of the 16:9 programmes people have mentioned on this thread, and others, are bought in, or shot single camera (ie on location.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Round Cable

TVDX wrote:
    Let's start an RTE widescreen check list.

When you see a program in widescreen, mention it here.

I have so far seen, "Shortland Street" and some wildlife documentary.

Can you add to this list?.

Nothing, I'm afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

The program Showrooms on RTÉ1 broadcasting in anamorphic 16:9 between 8:30-9 PM! Along with tonight's eastenders episode @ 7:30PM.

Oh, This was via Sky+!

On NTL, both were broadcast in 14:9.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

/me wonders how long before RTÉ's own programs, idents, ads will jump on the 16:9 bandwagon

What is the BBC playing at on the coverage of the Popes funeral! They have zoomed a clearly 4:3 picture from Rome to 16:9 thereby half cutting off heads on speakers. At least RTÉ have never tried that stunt!

there was a programme on RTE 1 last night about Weddings 10.15 . It was a RTE brand new home produced programme. It was in Widescreen. Surely its only a matter of time before the likes of Fair City,the news and Prime time will be in w/s. oh and Eastenders on RTE is now in widescreen... :)

So when are they going widescreen on Cable? I thought Fair City was shot in 4:3, same for the news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

So when are they going widescreen on Cable? I thought Fair City was shot in 4:3, same for the news.

RTÉ studio production is still 4:3. I think Studio 4 (Late Late Show) has widescreen suite, but have not been seen to be used yet.

You will find that some programmes like the Brides of Franc are made by indies and not in-house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

West wing was 16:9 with automatic switching last night

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭radiospan

I've seen another home-produced show (I think) in widescreen. It was hosted by the Irish guy who's on BBC sports shows sometimes (he hosted the Olympics on BBC, can't think of his name, Colin something?). Anyway, he has a show on RTE and it was in 16:9 a few nights ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭JohnC.

The ad for Proof 2 was 16:9, so I assume the show itself will be too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

plazzTT wrote:
    I've seen another home-produced show (I think) in widescreen. It was hosted by the Irish guy who's on BBC sports shows sometimes (he hosted the Olympics on BBC, can't think of his name, Colin something?). Anyway, he has a show on RTE and it was in 16:9 a few nights ago.

Craig Doyle?

I haven't seen a single thing yet on RTE transmitted in true widescreen. Every single so-called WS broadcast has been 'stretched' and looks completely wrong. Nor has there been any auto switching on my system (which does work properly otherwise on DTT Freeview and my Sky Ireland package.

Bummer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭chorus techy

culabula wrote:
    I haven't seen a single thing yet on RTE transmitted in true widescreen. Every single so-called WS broadcast has been 'stretched' and looks completely wrong. Nor has there been any auto switching on my system (which does work properly otherwise on DTT Freeview and my Sky Ireland package.

Bummer

What are you watching RTE through? Digital or terrestrial (terrestrial is ALWAYS 4:3 Pan & Scan versions of programmes)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭lensman

culabula wrote:
    It is my understading that true widescreen can only be broadcast properly over digital which is why we in the north flocked to by Freeview digiboxes on release.

I recall watching top movies on TV1000 & PREMIER from the Thor satellite 10yrs ago !!! real 16:9 transmissions using the far superior D2Mac system, I had a
    28" 4:3 Blaupunkt TV which had a widescreen mode so I could watch in style,
    Technically, D2MAC signal gives better performance than the PAL signal and the sound is digital based on Nicam, if Sky Tv had lost the sales battle with BSB (British Satellite Broadcasting) in 1992 we might all have been enjoying widescreen tv for years now.
    D2mac info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 marksi

What are you watching RTE through? Digital or terrestrial (terrestrial is ALWAYS 4:3 Pan & Scan versions of programmes)?

No it isn't. It's either 4:3 centre-cut-out (12F12) which involves no panning or scanning, or 14:9 letterbox (14L12).

For reference, the 4 formats used for BBC services are:

12F12 4:3 (all platforms)
    16F16A 16:9 digital, 16:9 deep letterbox analogue
    16F16B 16:9 digital, 14:9 letterbox analogue
    16F16C 16:9 digital, 4:3 centre-cut-out analogue

and I would assume RTÉ will use the same.

I am referring to the test transmissions over SKY that are happening at the moment.

None of them are in proper widescreen (i am specifically referring to the shows that you guys and the lads over on digital spy are getting so excited about).

The picture might fill the screen, the DOG might be in the correct position but the images are all wrong.

I too used to have a Philips D2MAC system with which I used to watch French domestic telly, one of the first (IIRC) to broadcast in proper 16:9. I used to enjoy widescreen in 1992 from France 2 (and TF1, again IIRC).

Ah.....betamax, D2MAC, Minidisc, vinyl......when will the great unwashed learn? :-)

My SKY Ireland package, as mentioned.

• Advertisement

culabula wrote:
    The picture might fill the screen, the DOG might be in the correct position but the images are all wrong.
    I am sorry culabula but they are 16:9. They come up as such on my 16:9 tv with no distortion.........your digibox must not be set up right.

Please read my above posts: I have been watching WS broadcasts via Freeview and SKY for years and of course my digiboxes and TV are set up correctly for vision and audio. This is my point. It is crystal clear to the eye that the so-called widescreen broadcasts now emanating from Montrose are *not* (yet) WS as *I* understand it.

Furthermore, while other channels on the EPG switch back and forth from 4:3 to 14:9 to 16:9 depending on the channel being watched, no such automatic switching is occuring on the test channel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

Whatever about the test channel, on 101 and 102 the widescreen switching is happening properly and the correct image is being shown (i.e. you can see extra stuff at the edges of the screen).

Correct!! the switching is (and has been) happening on 101/102 -for some time now. It usually jumps between 4:3 and 14:9.

I have yet to see a 16:9 transmission on it and those that were claimed to be just were not right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

culabula wrote:
    It is crystal clear to the eye that the so-called widescreen broadcasts now emanating from Montrose are *not* (yet) WS as *I* understand it.

Hi culabula, I'm very confused at this stage. What IS widescreen as you understand it. For instance, did you see "Other Voices" last night on RTE Two ? Was that not widescreen ? There were also a couple of programmes this morning on both RTE One and Two which switched to widescreen and didn't appear to be in any way distorted or cropped. Am I missing something ?

By the way, isn't S@titude just about the WORST example of programming ever to escape from Montrose ??

I would need to swap notes with you on the very next alleged WS broadcast on RTE One or Two in real-time. Nothing I have seen has been a 'natural'-looking picture in the widescreen mode.

• Advertisement

Is there anything on now that you would accept as widescreen?

By the way, isn't S@titude just about the WORST example of programming ever to escape from Montrose ??[/QUOTE]

Gimme Cula Pop any day :-)

I've got better widescreen broadcasts right now on my VAIO from lci.fr!!!!!!!

Nothing in widescreen at the moment, but I think Aussie Animal Rescue was earlier. - it switched to 16:9 (the 14:9 switching never worked on satellite for me, only on cable), and it looked fine.

Do you reckon they're stretching the picture ?

Could someone upload a screenshot, to see what's going on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

char_dougal.jpg

Ah .. just looking at his face makes me laugh !!

RTE Two is on widescreen right now (Scope? or something). (13:00)
    Strangely, it is in genuine widescreen, following on foot of our exchanges this morning.
    Odd. They must have heard us.
    And, switching to the test channel, it reverted to 4:3 straight away -this is also, for the first time, in my experience.

Happy days!!

culabula wrote:
    Is there anything on now that you would accept as widescreen?

"Scope" is in widescreen on RTE Two at the moment. Have a look and tell me what you think.

Ah ! Crossed posts ! Glad you're happy culabula !

Agreed!
    Jesus, at last! Can hardly believe my eyes!

:-)

Despite this landmark day, am being forced to watch Home Alone with my son for 9th time.....ah well, at least it's in widescreen and 5.1!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 marksi

culabula wrote:
    Furthermore, while other channels on the EPG switch back and forth from 4:3 to 14:9 to 16:9 depending on the channel being watched, no such automatic switching is occuring on the test channel.

Which channels do you suggest are doing such switching? There is no such thing as a 14:9 switching signal.

Huh? There always has been in RTE One and Two-land.
    Why else would there be such a facility on TVs?
    It's a horrible solution, nonetheless.

marksi wrote:
    Which channels do you suggest are doing such switching? There is no such thing as a 14:9 switching signal.

There is on analogue. RTE One, Two and Channel 4 automatically switch to 14:9 sometimes when I watch them through NTL analogue. ER, for example, switches to 14:9 on a Sunday night on RTE One.

I've also heard that the 14:9 switching worked for some people watching on Sky digital, but my TV never changed aspect ratio automatically to 14:9 on Sky.

culabula is quite right when he says it's a horrible solution.

• Advertisement
Advertisement