Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

omniplex oranmore

Options
  • 05-04-2005 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭

just thought id warn any1 thinking of checkin out the new omniplex in oranmore... went on saturday and it was crap the place smelt terrible and all the screens werent even open. the seats have storm cinema written on them and its more expensive and less apealing than the new eye cinema. just to let ya know

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Not sure what your agenda is on this forum (trolling perhaps), but I've seen nothing but misinformation in your posts so far.

Oranmore omni is identically priced to Headford Road — Eye is the most expensive cinema. Seats are marked with Storm because of the takeover by the Omniplex. The other three screens (including the one with leather armchairs) will be open in May.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Jammyd

excuse me all my articles have relavance.. and all the info supplied is what i have either read or heard and by the way i thought the idea of posting up boards was to get other peoples opinions and info so keep your snide comments to yourself and please post up some things so maybe i can criticise you... if ya dont mind...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Keep it Country.

Jammyd, some of your posts on this board have been a little too 'enthusiastic', ie Limerick V Galway etc.

OT: Is there a website for the Oranmore cinema?

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭jasonh

Jammyd you either have nothing to do or have a very boring job/course or maybe you are a self made millionaire. You seem to post everywhere, and in some cases have REPLIED to your own posts! You have to be careful, your opinions could be perceived as slanderous. I agree that these boards should be used to exchance opinions, warn fellow culchies of any pitfalls with services, etc.. but I think you need to be a tad more diplomatic. I.e. just post the prices you paid for the film, and let people make up their own minds. If you want to put your opinion down, then I would suggest that prefix it with 'IMHO' and keep if non-defamatory. Just my 2cents worth. Take it or leave it.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭el_gaucho

last week i saw a movie in the "special screen" (7) at the eye cimema. its €12 and definitly not worth it (nice seats thats all) . add €6.50 for a drink and a bag of choclates and that was an expensive movie!!
    to be fair from mon-thur its normally €7 which is cheaper than headford road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Jammyd

i paid 8 euro in oranmore for a ticket and 5 in the eye.. food is slightly more expensive in the eye but who doesnt sneek food in. FACT

When did you pay €5 in Eye (time and day)

When did you pay €8 in Omni (was it the same day and time?)

And, was there a student card involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Its 5 in Eye anytime as long as you have a student card.

Its 8 in Omni after 5 on weekdays or all weekends (scabby fúcks as they, planning it so that minimim amounts of students could actually use their card for discount)

I might be going to the Oranmore one tomorrow seeing as I live there, but I have heard bad things - but I suppose no point passing judgement until its fully open

That was actually directed at Jammy ... look at the prices for the average Joe Soap, never mind students and its cheaper at the Omniplex.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

Its €5 in the eye with sudent id and before 8 I think.
    As for "special screen" (7) its not worth it, as all you get are wider seats, its even worse if your bringing any female company :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭jasonh

Yes I believe Omniplex is cheaper for joe soaps/working folk, which I think its aimed at. Most students live in the city, so which students are gonna come out from galway to oranmore. I'd say its more for the athenry/loughrea crowd who can't be arsed to deal with Galway traffic.

I went to the one in Oranmore last Friday, to see Ring 2.

In screen 2, couple of hundred seats, 7pm on a Friday night, there were FOUR of us in there.

Me, my girlfriend, and 2 friends.

Hardly bustling business, I mean if its that abandoned on a friday at 7, imagine during the week.... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Its 5 in Eye anytime as long as you have a student card.
    6 at the weekend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 om-NIPLE-x

The prices in the city omniplex have changed, Students & OAP are 5euro 7 days a week & adults are now 6euro before 6 oclock on weekends too. they are now all round cheaper & better uniformed than the mechanic/farmers at the EYE.

om-NIPLE-x wrote:
    The prices in the city omniplex have changed, Students & OAP are 5euro 7 days a week & adults are now 6euro before 6 oclock on weekends too. they are now all round cheaper & better uniformed than the mechanic/farmers at the EYE.

If thats true, then cool, will save a bit of money! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

If thats true, then cool, will save a bit of money! :)

Ara come on now... you live in O-side.. you'll pay more than the difference getting a bus into town, and another one out...

Everyone really should stop bitching about the oranmore cinema... sure it's not the cheapest, but daaaaaaamn is it handy, Eg; I completely forgot I supposed to be going to the cinema at 9pm to see the Amityville Horror last week, I was sitting watching the Shawshank Redemption until seven minutes to nine... I then looked at the time and ran to the cinema.... was there in four minutes! Very tired but at least I made it!

I still think the Oranmore Omni is cool no matter the price. ;)

Yesterday, me and my mates went to see "The Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy" in the Oranmore Omniplex. I am pleased to announce the intoxicating smell is gradually getting lest noxious due the ever increasing flatulence of my friend Tom*. Sure the movie wasn't the best but i don't think it was the fault of the cinema. :D

Also there have been rumours going around about th Oranmore Omni not having toilets :confused: Well I for one can dissappate this visious rumours.

*Names have been changed for legal reasons

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Pokerevents

Is luxury screen open in the oranmore plex yet? and is there a website does anybody know

No luxury screen (only in the EYE)

Don't know about a website, try google searching it or something!

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Pokerevents

cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

The eyecinema > the omniplex, by a long shot

Depends..... If I may I 'd like to go through it.

Comfortable: EYE > Omniplex
    Price: EYE < Omni
    Variety in film: EYE < Omni.
    Smell: EYE > Omni

Please add more as you see fit.

Also, the Oranmore Omniplex is never booked out no matter what, is close to my and have very comfortable seats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Dundhoone

I went to the one in Oranmore last Friday, to see Ring 2.

In screen 2, couple of hundred seats, 7pm on a Friday night, there were FOUR of us in there.

Me, my girlfriend, and 2 friends.

Hardly bustling business, I mean if its that abandoned on a friday at 7, imagine during the week.... :rolleyes:

great atmosphere for a horror film......
    pity it was that one though!!

Tell me about it... i was one of those friends. The place was sooooo dead! Me, my mate (Mobile) and his girlfriend and my other friend. The ONLY four people in the screen. Kinda a strange feeling...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Dundhoone

im just a bit grumpy that neither of the new cinemas have allocated seating

I'd pay the extra few quid if I had it booked and didnt have to queue, real shame omniplex dropped that, and then shortly after mini-sized the goodies ...but im sure thats been well whined out on some other thread :D

LOL

When you right, you're right.

Personally, I prefer the non arranged seating... it rewards the early, Confused little red haired guy say "He who fifteen minutes early for the cinema get best seat in the house, he who not get crap seat... mostly up front"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

I never spend ages queing in the eye
    I have yet to have to put up with idiots talking and causing trouble in the eye.
    The eye is cheaper all the time for students.
    The eye is cheaper for adults from Mon-Thurs.
    The eye is much more comfortable,
    The eye has a better selection of food including a brilliant Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream Bar.
    The eye has better and safer parking.
    The eye has the option of a luxury screen.
    The eye has a website with forums for film reviews and suggestions - you can also book online at this site.
    The eye will soon have a bar.
    The staff are friendlier.
    Why did the omniplex w8 till the eye cinema arrived b4 it started showing arthouse movies?
    Why did the omniplex suddenely end its dispute with time-warner around the same time that the eye cinema arrived?

I can honestly say I will never go to any omniplex cinema ever again. It abused its monopoly over the years and showed a complete disregard and disrespect for its customers. Now that the competition is here they are all of a sudden getting their act together .. what a joke!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

Dundhoone wrote:
    great atmosphere for a horror film......
    pity it was that one though!!
    Um that's because it was exam time, if it wasn't exam time there'd be more people out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 hachidan

Playboy wrote:
    I never spend ages queing in the eye
    I have yet to have to put up with idiots talking and causing trouble in the eye.
    The eye is cheaper all the time for students.
    The eye is cheaper for adults from Mon-Thurs.
    The eye is much more comfortable,
    The eye has a better selection of food including a brilliant Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream Bar.
    The eye has better and safer parking.
    The eye has the option of a luxury screen.
    The eye has a website with forums for film reviews and suggestions - you can also book online at this site.
    The eye will soon have a bar.
    The staff are friendlier.
    Why did the omniplex w8 till the eye cinema arrived b4 it started showing arthouse movies?
    Why did the omniplex suddenely end its dispute with time-warner around the same time that the eye cinema arrived?

I can honestly say I will never go to any omniplex cinema ever again. It abused its monopoly over the years and showed a complete disregard and disrespect for its customers. Now that the competition is here they are all of a sudden getting their act together .. what a joke!

While I detest the Ward-Anderson group as both a cinema-goer and ex employee I still feel defend the Omniplex against the above. The Oranmore one anyway, the Headford R.d one, in my opinion, isn't sinking into the ground fast enough.

Lack of queues, to me, implies lack of business, which is never a good sign.
    As for a lack of idiots, that's probably just luck, but its probaly just because of my above point. I've never seen more than 10 people in a screen at one time in the eye.
    The Eye is not cheaper for students all the time. They have a weekend rate of 6euro whereas the omniplex is a flat 5 all week.
    The eye is cheaper for adults mon to thursday (at night only) but is more expensive at the weekend, which is the time the majority of people go to the cinema anyway.
    Comfort is fairly even in my opinion (remember I'm only talking oranmore here)
    I must concede the Ben and Jerries point. Yummy!
    Both have underground parking.
    Both have a luxury screen
    As for the website- whats the point, they don't look at it. It took them weeks to reply to me when I tried to book they're so called conference facilities. They lost some serious revenue there. in an average year I organise between 15 and 20 corporate events and they certainly won't be getting any of it now. As for booking online, you cant pick your seats even if it's reserved seating, which defeats the whole purpose.
    When it comes to the bar, what can I say, what more could you want when trying to watch a film than a load of other patrons in there with you under the influence. Most people go to the cinema simply as an alternative to the pub.
    Firendly staff in the eye? some maybe, but I found that most were only friendly in that fake way people have when they hate their jobs. 16 people quit in the first two weeks alone because the place was so badly run.

My point is the EYE is not the be all and end all of cinemas in Galway, its just new. And while the Headford Rd. Omniplex isn't the best cinema in the world, it certainly isnt the worst and while we all bitch about it, myself included, we,as a public continue to make it one of the most sucessful cinemas (the most successful of the Ward-Anderson group) in the country. As for Oranmore, I honestly think its better than the Eye and the other omniplex both.

• Advertisement

Playboy wrote:

!

Omniplex showing arthouse? Haven't seen any advertised. In fact, I haven't seen any arthouse movies advertised for Eye either. I mean real arthouse.
    Playboy wrote:

That "war" with Ward Anderson v Time Warner and Sony (Columbia) is still ongoing .... there's been a slight quelling because the Omni has competition all of a sudden, up until now they didn't show certain movies in Galway because they didn't have to ... there was no competitor showing the movie. However, the war isn't over yet.

What I see panning out is if Gerry Barrett doesn't get new management in place in EYE, he will sell it off within the next year ... while it is a lovely cinema, the existing management structure clearly don't have the experience necessary to run a cinema. All it takes is one look at their newspaper advertising campaign to see that .... "The Eye is open and attracting crowds" — yep, okay full page and half page ads, how about telling us what fcukin films ye are showin.

My two cents. ....

Advertisement