Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. on PC

• 05-04-2005 12:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,053 ✭✭✭

So when is it coming out exactly i remember being excited about this game a year ago and still no sign of it!! (okay maybe not a year but at least a fortnight ago) it better be on DVD and not 3+ cd's!!!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

last info afaik is early 2006

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Played the Leaked beta a while ago, it was okay, nothing special...

Its been in development for quite a long time now, I remember getting excited at the screenshots about 2 years ago or more going "oh my god, look at the graphics!"

Now it just looks decidedly average...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Hardly an offical source, but Play.com have started taking pre-orders for it and give the release date as 24/09/2005.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

The threads on their forum seem to suggest that the planned release date is somewhere around August / September 2005.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Played the Leaked beta a while ago, it was okay, nothing special...

Its been in development for quite a long time now, I remember getting excited at the screenshots about 2 years ago or more going "oh my god, look at the graphics!"

Now it just looks decidedly average...

The leaked Beta of HL2 didnt do that game any justice either..
    Besides, Stalker promises so much more than eye candy.

Matt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,053 ✭✭✭jones

Matt Simis wrote:
    The leaked Beta of HL2 didnt do that game any justice either..
    Besides, Stalker promises so much more than eye candy.

Matt

Yeah exactly!! beta leaks are never the finished article (obviously) and graphic tweaks are usually one of the last things to be finalised! i'm expecting great things from this game!!! once its not on multiple cds i hate that

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Whats the big deal with multiple cds versus dvd may i ask?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,053 ✭✭✭jones

Whats the big deal with multiple cds versus dvd may i ask?

No big deal really just dont understand why some companies continue to put games on 3+ cd's when 1 dvd is all they need, its maximising profits!!
    I juat hate it cause i usually lose the one of the cd's haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Because not every one has a DVD drive, and its cheaper to make CD's.

A game that fits on 3 CD will only take up about half a DVD.

Ciaran500 wrote:
    Because not every one has a DVD drive, and its cheaper to make CD's.

A game that fits on 3 CD will only take up about half a DVD.

Yeah, but the majority of people do have DVD drives, certainly the people that can actually play these games (just how long has Dell supplied DVD as standard?). For those with DVDs, multiple CDs are annoying and increase the chance of damage to your games content.

Matt

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

ya exactly anyone who has a pc good to play it will have a dvd drive
    dvd drives are almost stand since the pentium 3 was out

and can you comfirm for sure that it costs less to produce 3 cd's than it does to produce 1 dvd?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Dvd all the way :)

Easier to copy that 3cds.... I mean... Eh :confused:

I saw this game about 1/1.5 yrs ago and it looks amazing. I still think it could make a brand new comp crawl at some parts. I havent seen much about it in the last few months. I do remember the sreenshots tho, and the sky looked amazing :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Matt Simis wrote:
    For those with DVDs, multiple CDs are annoying and increase the chance of damage to your games content.

What exactly are you doing with your media?

Look after your CD cases as well as your DVD cases and all will be well.

In fairness though I would say it is cheaper to print 3 cds than 1 DVD. Going by the prices of blanks, coupled with the length of time CD printing machines have had to get more efficient I reckon that CDs are made much cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Cheaper per disk yup but with an increased risk of returns due to media damage on multiple CD's it can work out cheaper in the long run to use DVD (not that CDs are any more susceptable to damage but 6disks have 6x more of a chance to have an uncrecoverable error than just 1....yeah I know, duh....;) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

_CreeD_ wrote:
    Cheaper per disk yup but with an increased risk of returns due to media damage on multiple CD's it can work out cheaper in the long run to use DVD

But they charge to replace disks for you.

If you have a game on 6 disk how often do you take out any discs other than the play discs?

Ciaran500 wrote:
    But they charge to replace disks for you.

If you have a game on 6 disk how often do you take out any discs other than the play discs?

Everytime I go to a LAN, I seem to have to install BF:1942 for some reason or another, a 3 disk game.

Matt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Also, EA have replaced damaged CD's for me free of charge in the past - just had to post them the broken one. (One of their stupid cardboard-envelope-inside-dvd-box things that they use to fit 3 or 4 CD's into a single DVD box seems to have been the culprit).

I'd prefer if all PC games in this day and age were released on DVD - Look at Half-Life 2, Unreal Tournament 2004, Far Cry, etc - all successful DVD released (i know you have steam and what not with HL2, but you see what I mean).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

i remember reading somewhere that publishers still prefer CDs since they guarantee a 100% market compatibility. DVDs don't achieve that.

everyone who has a DVD drive can use a CD though...

Advertisement