Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Calls for a David Rocastle testimonial

• 05-04-2005 12:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.sportnetwork.net/main/s378/st69958.htm

Not an Arsenal fan myself, but I think this would be a classy move. He was a true gent of the game and cruely cut down in his prime.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

He was an excellent player particularly in his Arsenal days , didn' t do much at leeds but perhaps that was down to illness. It's a good Idea for a fundraiser I,m sure a lot of football fans would support it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Good idea especially one that involves a good Arsenal player from the "good old days".

Hiya The Muppet
    It was terrible the way his career was stopped so early.
    A good player playing in a class team (Liverpool Away, last match of the season, need to win by 2 goals......ahhhh the GOOD OLD DAYS!

Wonder how many people are reading this are going "Who's David Rocastle?".
    At least you'll have an idea of their age then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Good player! Sad loss too footie! was he playing in lower division for a few years after Leeds??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Big Nelly wrote:
    Good player! Sad loss too footie! was he playing in lower division for a few years after Leeds??

David Rocastle (1985/86-1991/92)

David Rocastle left Arsenal for First Division Champions Leeds United in the summer of 1992 for a fee of £2,000,000. After only making 25 league appearances for the Yorkshire side, he moved on to Manchester City during December 1993 in a £2,000,000 swap deal for David White. His spell at Manchester City consisted of only 21 league appearances before transferring to Chelsea the following summer for a cut-price fee of £1,250,000. It appeared as though David's career at Chelsea was running smoothly with 28 league appearances in his first season, under the reign of Glenn Hoddle, but he soon fell out of favour with Hoddle's predecessors and only made a single league appearance for The Blues during 1995/96. 'Rocky' was not even given a squad number for the following campaign and Norwich City, where he made 11 league appearances in 1996/97 during his loan spell, provided a return to football for the 29-year-old. It never resulted in a permanent move so he ended up returning to Chelsea, with the benefit of having much needed match-practice under his belt. Having had trial periods at Scottish Premier League side Aberdeen (1997/98 pre-season) and Southampton (September 1997), 'Rocky' had his second loan spell away from Chelsea in as many seasons, this time with Third Division Hull City. Despite making 10 league appearances, his move was not made permanent and he retired from English football when his contract at Chelsea expired in March 1998. His last appearance in English football came with Hull City in a 2-1 home defeat against Chester City on Friday, December 26, 1997. After leaving Chelsea, he promptly signed for the Malaysian side, Sabah, a team from Malaysia's national league, the M-League. David ended his career with Sabah when he was forced into retirement through injury in January 2000. In February 2001, it was announced that he had been diagnosed as suffering from non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, a cancer that attacks the immune system. David sadly lost his battle against cancer during the early hours of Saturday, March 31, 2001 at the age of 33 and shall be sorely missed by all those who had the pleasure of knowing him. As a fitting tribute, Ryan Rocastle, David's son, lead the Arsenal team out at the Millennium Stadium in the 2-1 FA Cup final defeat against Liverpool.

Source

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

okidoki987 wrote:
    A good player playing in a class team (Liverpool Away, last match of the season, need to win by 2 goals......ahhhh the GOOD OLD DAYS!
    Indeed , good old days.

FourFourTwo has a piece on that match this month, I bought it just to show my dad. He was on the floor crying that night, was so funny, and one of the most earliest memories I have of football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

seansouth wrote:
    Indeed , good old days.

FourFourTwo has a piece on that match this month, I bought it just to show my dad. He was on the floor crying that night, was so funny, and one of the most earliest memories I have of football.

I'm sure he perked up as much as I did at the end of the following season :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Arsenal v Chelsea testimonial at Ashburton grove might have some appeal I'd reckon?

Advertisement