Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hero

• 05-04-2005 12:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭

After reading soo much good about this film, i finally get around to watching it, literally as i'm typing this, and i'd just like to say, no amount of cinematography will make up for what is ultimately, a shít film. What a waste of 5.25, i hope The Incredibles and Finding Neverland will make up for it, ah i love days off :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

have to agree with you,
    boring as hell with no point or story.

once youve seen one never-ending bout of floating fights youve seen em all,
    there was no originaltiy or style imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭elvis2002

maybe you'll understand The Incredibles better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

i liked hero, but i could never get rid of the gripe that alot of the film felt like some form of propaganda film of sorts for the chinese government...must be getting paranoid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

In all fairness, it was extremely unoriginal. It's nothing but a glorified "Wire-Fu" version of Rashomon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

once youve seen one never-ending bout of floating fights

I hate that crap. I refused to see Hero and House of flying daggers after the stupid "floating around" fight scenes in crouching tiger that were about as engaging and interesting to me as a crisp packet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bonzai bob

elvis2002 wrote:
    maybe you'll understand The Incredibles better.
    you're right i did, thanks *thumbs up*:D although the Incredibles was kinda **** too..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

I hate that crap. I refused to see Hero and House of flying daggers after the stupid "floating around" fight scenes in crouching tiger that were about as engaging and interesting to me as a crisp packet.

When done well those fight scenes are awesome check out once upon a time in china, the scene in the storeroom.

Didnt like Hero at all too western and no plot, Crouching was good as it brought that style of cinema to mainstream audience thus creating demand for older movies of same type. Which is all good to me makes them easier to get.

kdjac

I didn't like crouching tiger either.. I thought it relied on cinematography and 'epic' scenes as well.. I just find them boring tbh

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Didn't much care for it, tbh. Found it quite boring once you get over the pretty pictures. Like most of the others here, I found the over-reliance on "wire-fu" tiresome after a while. And yeah, like Karl says, it's clearly inspired by "Rahomon" which is, incidentally, a much better movie because it's got this thing called a "story"...

In Fact neither Finding Neverland nor The Incredibles lived up to my expectations tbh. Both *ok* films, but quite boring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Not as boring as Hero though.....God I may as well have watched paint dry :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭solo1

I found it difficult to follow, but I regard that as a failing on my part, not the movie's. I thought there was a wonderful use of colour and set design. There were some nice ideas in it. Rashomon was not the first example of the narrator changing details in a story to suit himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭TOPDAWG

I went to see crouching tiger the 1st weekend it was released and five mins before end of the flick the reel of filnm melted!! a great moment in my life as i may not get the two hours of my life back but i got my 5 quid back!! what a load of sh*te!! whats the point of the bit where your man robs her comb and she goes off after him for like 14 hours!! crouching sh*te hidden crap was the original title we came up for it at work.
    sorry my car just broke down and i need to vent my anger on sumtin.

ARRRRRRRRRRRGH!! F*CKBEANS!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭OY

Wasn't Tarentino involved in this movie? For some reason i thought he directed it but not according to imdb so i guess i was wrong... :confused:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000233/

To be honest i did not see that movie just because i thought he was involved (Not a fan!). Not that you guys have changed my mind and made me want to go to see it or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

Watched it ages ago (on a nice big projector screen :p)

I really enjoyed it...

I watched it on a lazy sunday afternoon and found it to be midly enteraining, enjoyable characters, vivid imagry and find its simple story to be emmensely relaxing yet held my attention for the long duration of the film....

Would I have felt differently if I had gotten off my arse and went off for the night to the cinema to see it? ....sure...

If you have to see this, pick the right time and place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

nevernev wrote:
    Wasn't Tarentino involved in this movie? For some reason i thought he directed it but not according to imdb so i guess i was wrong... :confused:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000233/

To be honest i did not see that movie just because i thought he was involved (Not a fan!). Not that you guys have changed my mind and made me want to go to see it or anything.
    No.. around the time of it's release. It was simply:

Quentin Tarantino PRESENTS 'Hero'

He had nothing to do with the movie. He liked it and wanted it released as is in the US but the studio wanted to trim it down. He told the studio to release it as is and they said they would if he attached his name to it. I guess they figured it would make more money that way.

He had nothing to do with the production of the film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭OY

basquille wrote:
    No.. around the time of it's release. It was simply:

Quentin Tarantino PRESENTS 'Hero'

He had nothing to do with the movie. He liked it and wanted it released as is in the US but the studio wanted to trim it down. He told the studio to release it as is and they said they would if he attached his name to it. I guess they figured it would make more money that way.

He had nothing to do with the production of the film.

Thanks for that. It is all so clear now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

i thought hero was fantastic... superior to crouching tiger IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭KlodaX

I thought it was amazing. I went to see it in the cinema, large screen not many people around ... subtitles ... I had to pick my jaw off the ground when I left and I've never seen crouching tiger or any others like it. I've seen a few Bruce Lee flicks .. but that is about as far as my oriental viewing has gone!

I bought Hero on dvd last week... watched it again 2 nights ago with someone who insisted on watching it dubed!! I felt it ruined the film. Alot of the story was lost. I'm not sure how or why that is ... but I'll be watching it in subtitles next time to see if it has the same inpact as the first.

Even with that said I'd give it two tumbs up. I liked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Etain

I saw Hero last week. I couldn't convince anyone to see it with me at the cinema (too much of an "art movie"), so I rented it. I enjoyed the story. I didn't expect the different versions of "the story" and it kept me interested.A visual treat.
    I enjoyed Crouching Tiger too.
    IMO, it's best to watch foreign movies with the subtitles. After a bit, it seems as though you are actually hearing the characters speak.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

ixoy wrote:
    Didn't much care for it, tbh. Found it quite boring once you get over the pretty pictures. Like most of the others here, I found the over-reliance on "wire-fu" tiresome after a while. And yeah, like Karl says, it's clearly inspired by "Rahomon" which is, incidentally, a much better movie because it's got this thing called a "story"...

I went to see it with my girlfriend, it was one of those "her annoyance and boredom radiated from her making it difficult for me to enjoy it" Seriously we tried four different films all sold out or had already started before we started watching hero, and I could feel the pis*ed off ness glow from her seat without looking.

I was enjoying the film. Not to get stupid and technical, but trying to create that kind of colour scheme in a film, that hyperrealistic glow, that depth and complexity of colour and group scenes is difficult and were just stunning. It was beautiful to watch, if not a lil stupid. It's a lil simplisitc story telling. It's like getting a Vin Diseal film with sublime imagery. Its the exaggerated asia myth.

I'm like several hundred Irish people I'd love to see the taín filmed. But it would be stylistical like hero, if slightly more brutal and with more sex (you'd have a character called maebh of the friendly thighs ffs). look it's not a date movie, it's chinese cinema trying to evoke the legends of their country, a country that got kick started in the 20th century while missing the 16th-19th. It's fascinating to watch. Its not going to make matrix esque cinema but from a social and thetarical point of you, and watching this combine with modern cinema techniques is nothing if not interesting.

Advertisement