Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Noooooo!!!! Franck 'Paddy' Quedrue can't play for Ireland

• 05-04-2005 1:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/sport/2005/0405/quedrue.html

Truly a dark day for our fair nation. Those damn bureaucrats at FIFA have robbed a true Irish patriot the chance to represent his country on the world stage. I hope the FAI and Bertie Ahern are ready to take this fight to Europe and stand up for the rights of Frenchmen to play for Ireland.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Bugger :rolleyes:

Shame tho some fans will be dissapointed Ireland could then play PL style football at international level and fans wouldnt need to take their PL jerseys off.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

http://www.rte.ie/sport/2005/0405/quedrue.html

Truly a dark day for our fair nation. Those damn bureaucrats at FIFA have robbed a true Irish patriot the chance to represent his country on the world stage. I hope the FAI and Bertie Ahern are ready to take this fight to Europe and stand up for the rights of Frenchmen to play for Ireland.

What ! you have to be Irish to play for Ireland? Since when did they close the Cascarino route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

"I drank a pint of Guinness once and i liked it"
    Franck Queudrue proves his irish blood (the Sun) :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

"Given the chance to play for Ireland I would have walked there. But it's not possible," he added.

I'm sure we could have organised a plane ticket for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Stekelly wrote:
    "Given the chance to play for Ireland I would have walked there. But it's not possible," he added.

I'm sure we could have organised a plane ticket for him.

LOL Economy class of course, we have to save those dear ones for the suits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

delighted!!

we're just after loosing our england B team status, dont want a french B team one now!

It's a shame. I reckon Kerr should have a team to trawl through player histories and see what they can dig up. Might end up with a couple of decent players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

VinnyL wrote:
    delighted!!

we're just after loosing our england B team status, dont want a french B team one now!

ah the good old days!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

ah the good old days!

England 0-1 England B , England B 1-0 England......match abandoned .

Hhhhmmm :D . They may have called us the England reserves but the results certainly don't agree with that .

ah the good old days!

Yeah when we used to qualify for european championships.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Well Champ Manager always says that Steviee Gerrard and Wayen Rooney could have played for Ireland.
    If only we could have capped em young :)

I dont see why we dont just organise friendlies every couple of days during the summer and cap every eligible player over 14 that shows the remotest bit of talent we can find.

Stekelly are you irish ? honestly?

kdjac

I'm actually half Irish, half German, but have lived here all my life. To be honest I couldnt care less who plays for us, and going by history either do our managers. If we're successfull, does it really matter, or is it just a question of how good they are?

I doubt too manyt people would have any ossue if Ronaldinho had discovered an Irish grandfather and declared for us.

Oh btw, I assumed everyone would take a bit of light-heartedness out of my above post. But i do feel we should actively seek out players, especially in weak positions.A couple of 25 goal a season strikers wouldnt go amiss.

I would have no problem with playing for Ronaldinho if he wanted to play for Ireland, if he felt the country he represented was the nationality he felt he was.
    If Ronaldinho felt he was Irish, even if he had no family here and only lived here or something, I'd have no problem with that.
    I hate the idea of Quedrue playing for ireland, because he isn't Irish and doesn't think he is Irish.

Right thats all completes lies. If Ronaldinho came out and publicly said he was only playing for Ireland because it was too much travelling to do to Brazil, people would welcome him. It all comes down to peoples opinion of how good players are. If Quedrue was widely recognised as the best Left Full in the world, not one person would have an issue with it.

Wow thats pathetic on so many levels, really should change your views on how Irish you feel.

Tbh most irish people i know myself included would support and be proud of any Irish national team no matter how good the irish players playing are. And to think just for the sake of a win you would prefer someone up front ahead of the likes of Elliot or Keane or Duff just because they were better and scored x goals a season.

We have reached new levels of low here :mad:

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

KdjaC wrote:
    We have reached new levels of low here :mad:

Not near as low as certain ManU fans saying they'd prefer to see ManU win the champs league ahead of Ireland win a World Cup or Euorpean Championships. :(

And I think what Ste is really saying is that if a player qualifes to play for Ireland, and wants to play for Ireland, then we should encourage him to play - and pick the best available team that would help Ireland be as successful as possible. As has been said before, just because somebody's parents or grandparents had to emigrate from Ireland doesnt necessarily mean that their offspring are less Irish or less proud to be Irish.

Cheers rooster, bit more concise (sp?) than the way I put it. :)

@Kdjac, surely anyone who qualifies under fifa regulations is Irish enough for you.

Take my own circumstances. If I had turned out to be a very good professional player, but my parents had chosen to live in Germany instead of here, would I be worthey of a place? would the fact that I have an Irish parent instead of just a grandparent automatically entitle me to a place ahead of say Matt Holland? (not sure of his heritage, just an example), and would I then be gazumped by another player who has two irish parents?

Stekelly wrote:

Take my own circumstances. If I had turned out to be a very good professional player, but my parents had chosen to live in Germany instead of here, would I be worthey of a place? would the fact that I have an Irish parent instead of just a grandparent automatically entitle me to a place ahead of say Matt Holland? (not sure of his heritage, just an example), and would I then be gazumped by another player who has two irish parents?

Your point above states you would prefer a foreign better player than an Irish player. And we should actvily be looking for these players. Should we not be playing home grown players and using the system we have to get our players?

Imo The grandparents rule should be scrapped and just parents and having played at any level in the country you declaring for.

Dont need any more foreign players looking to add a million to their transfer fees.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

Why should other countries benefit from our ancestors forced emigration. I mean there are 35 million people in America who claim Irish heritage, out of them there are top American footballers , Baseballers etc. They are all classed as american but could also have been classed as irish ... I think we should look to home based players but also not deny anyone who has irish heritage , if good enough ...

Why should other countries benefit from our ancestors forced emigration. I mean there are 35 million people in America who claim Irish heritage, out of them there are top American footballers , Baseballers etc. They are all classed as american but could also have been classed as irish ... I think we should look to home based players but also not deny anyone who has irish heritage , if good enough ...

Because all of those players, while they may have Irish heritage, think they are American.
    Your heritage only matters to a certain extent, its about who you are.

Whatever abut how we feel on the issue Kerr has to look for players to improve the team even if they aren't the slightest bit Irish but meet the regulations , because after all its his job to get the best results possible .

In a way I like Franck's apraoch unlike many saying how much they would love to play for Ireland blah blah blah , he has been honest and said France is his first choice , god knows how many Irish players wouild have played for England if they could have yet would have said Ireland is their first choice .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Stekelly wrote:
    If Quedrue was widely recognised as the best Left Full in the world, not one person would have an issue with it.

thats coz he'd be playin for france!

i think we should at least give them some training in irish heritage and teach them the words to the national anthem and a bit of history. then test them. if they really wanna play for ireland then they wont mind goin through this for a cupla weeks.

but i suppose, beggers cant be choosers. we badly need a better plan for homegrown players. imagine the day when we are a top international team with a full compliment of homegrown irish accents on the squad with the odd foreign accent. oh and a proper stadium! ;)

The_B_Man wrote:
    thats coz he'd be playin for france!

Hardly the point, but if thats the best comeback I can expect then I'm quite justified in my views.

The_B_Man wrote:
    i think we should at least give them some training in irish heritage and teach them the words to the national anthem and a bit of history. then test them. if they really wanna play for ireland then they wont mind goin through this for a cupla weeks.

Should people in office jobs be required to have drivers licences? He's there to do a job, him provign he knows something about Ireland does not affect how he plays.

As you said beggars can't be choosers but some people seem to want to. The plain fact of it is we would not be where we are without the "foreign players we've had playing for us. Ray Houghton V England/ Italy comes to mind. More recently: much as I dislike Clinton Morisson and think he's muck, he's got a couple of important goals. Mattt Hollands' done a job for us, too name just a few.

The rule is there to help the smaller nations, such as ourselves, so I think e should take as much advantage af it as possible.

The_B_Man wrote:
    we badly need a better plan for homegrown players.

No we dont , we have one it works and works rather well. Maybe if it was on Sky people would notice all those kids playing football at the weekends.

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    No we dont , we have one it works and works rather well. Maybe if it was on Sky people would notice all those kids playing football at the weekends.

kdjac

Personally I was very dissapointed with the level of Schoolboy football in this country. Admittedly it is 10 years since I've played schoolboy but I hope that in a few years when my son is 5 or 6 that the standard will be better throughout. I havnt had anything to do with uinderage/schoolboy since I stopped playing it but passing by the odd game on a saturday or sunday it still seems to be built around kick and rush.

To have any hope we need to have a better level of coaching from 5 -6 year olds upward. On the continent they are thought a lot more skill based. The training here and probably in England seems to be more fitness based than ball control. When I used to be training, the majority of the session was based on running very little was actual ball work . there was a short match at the end. 5 a side games should be introduced a lot more to improve close ball skils.

Stekelly wrote:
    Admittedly it is 10 years since I've played schoolboy ..... 5 a side games should be introduced a lot more to improve close ball skils.

Thats a fantastic idea, how about play 7 a side from ages 6 to 11 call it Soccer 7s use coachs with FAI badges who coach based on the technical ideas that the FAI Uefa have agreed (normally known as the Ajax way).

Then get this up and running all tru Ireland but when they hit schoolboy from 12 onwards they have the control and basic technical ability passing, crossing ,running with the ball all sorted. And then after that have academies and special training camps for special players call. Just to mix it all up.

And then after that have a hugely competitve LSL/amateur league, and to cap it all off have every EL team put out under age sides at all levels being coached by people who know what they doing. And create an U21 league just to ensure every possible area of development is covered.

Oh wait they did that 6 years ago :D
    Great system over here been seeing the benefits of it a lot latley not bad considering in England to get that many professional footballers you need a much much higher base to start with.

The system works and it works well, thanks to many people who freely give up their time to obtain FAI badges and then coach a bunch of kids :D

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

still, would be nice to qualify for something.

• Advertisement

Even nicer to win somethign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭Serbian

Lets not get ahead of ourselves here.

A bit more of a positive attitude and getting ahead of ourselves would do the world of good. A winning attitude can give a team a big lift.

coaching has come on in leaps and bounds in a lot of places although you will still find some places it hasn't improved at all . The technical side of things is given a lot more attention in training at schoolboy level now and I can only see Ireland improving as a team in years to come because of it .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Stekelly wrote:
    A bit more of a positive attitude and getting ahead of ourselves would do the world of good. A winning attitude can give a team a big lift.
    If you are going on history it will show that the lower our expectations, the better the team does. :)

eirebhoy wrote:
    If you are going on history it will show that the lower our expectations, the better the team does. :)

We have a totally different type of team now though. We're not seen as being at the N.Ireland/Scotland end of the scale. Please don't turn this into a big Keane/McCarthy conversation anyone, but probably our best chance to win somethign was the last WC and a proper winning attitude would have seen us go further.

I don't mean the Spanish game in particular as the team had been through a lot mentally with the arguements and the like up to then , but if we had gone into the tournament from the start of the build up with a "we can win this" attitude it would have turned out better. As it turned out , it ended up as a fairly weak tournament.

• Advertisement
Advertisement