Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Screenshots

Options
  • 22-01-2001 4:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭

Get it inta ye Cynthia.

http://hosted.quake.ie/void/pics/moonearth.jpg
    http://hosted.quake.ie/void/pics/marspole.jpg

Feel free to slag them off, but bear in mind that these are done in realtime, not with MAX. I have the planet scaling slightly wrong, I couldn't get a piccy with the earth in the foreground and the moon behind, because the moon is so small it doesn't show up. Which is wrong, as we know from looking up into the sky etc etc etc. The gratuitout "space dust" stuff in the mars shot is there to show the player which way they are moving, it looks much better on the fly (still needs tweaking though). I'll have some more showing combat soon.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

very nice void, I am in awe, but what is the game about, looks a bit like elite to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Void

It's supposed to be a multiplayer "Elite" type game. Check out the webpage: http://hosted.quake.ie/void

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Frontier / Elite ro><ored

This looks like a cool version.

Multiplayer, ooooooo Very Nice

"ro><ored" indeed.

Don't expect too much though. I'm a lazy bastid.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

hmm does look very good
    with multyplayer an all
    sounds good
    when is it due to be realeased ?

• Advertisement

It isn't due to be released. Because it will take years, since I am working on my own. I do it to educate myself and as a "showcase" project. I'm still trying to get a gamedev job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭black_wizardd

excellent.....did u code it urself....if so what language did u use ?....gr3eat stuff....well done....

Language: C++.
    Libraries: OpenGL, OpenIL, DirectX, FMOD, SOLID.

See previous postings smile.gif

Those screenshots are impressive, the rest isn't at the moment unfortunately, coz I have no good models. I just put in a very nice new particle system module though. Explosions/fire/smoke etc look the business now. Some impressive fighty screenshots coming up soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

OK VOID,
    How does this sound;

Whenwill it be released and "HOW MUCH" will it cost biggrin.gif

u should see if any major gaming company would go in with you

Let me put it like this.
    It WON'T be released, EVER. Unless I get a job with a games company (looks at Kapooki Games Ltd *cough*), and I talk them into going for it. Unlikely, because it's too big a project. It's simply not economically feasible. I have the luxury of not being contrained by budget. If you guys are waiting for a game like this, then wait no longer, there are a few around. Microsoft are doing one called "Freelancer", I don't have the URL to hand. http://www.netdevil.com have a game called "Jumpgate" which looks the business. Also, I've been talking to some crazy Russians who are doing a similiar game: http://www.forestro.com/sg. These russkies are sounds bastids, they gave me their entire source code (500,000 lines). Problem is, they are ninjas, I amn't (and the comments are in cyrillic!!!!). Their engine has a "Homeworld" type strategic view, a "Quake" style run-around buildinds type view, an "Elite" style space-flying around type view and a "Tribes" type run-around on a planet type view. I amn't messing, I have all the code for this here! I try to rob what I can (note: I wrote my OWN engine, I just rob bits like "lense flare" and "volumetric explosions"), but most of it is way over my head. Also, it's very badly organised/written. Which may sound like a contradiction, but these are the problems you run into with such large undertakings. I've rewritten my whole engine because of this. Fúcking around with unstructured C code can be nice, but you run into a "brick wall of complexity" as I like to call it. You'll only ever appreciate how fúckoff complicated games are until you try to write one. A degree in Computer Science won't teach you how to write games, it'll just get you started, the best way to learn is just to try it yourself. I have a bookshelf here with the likes of "Advanced Calculus" (Quaternion differentiation anyone?) on it that I use for reference. You encounter various problems, and you overcome them one by one. It works like that. You ask "When will it be finished?" and I say "God knows".
    Anyway, I was in the middle of robbing the russkies nebula drawing code before I was so rudely interrupted. Back to work!

Also, with regard to "robbing" code? Does anyone have any views on that? With regards to learning/understanding, I'd make the point that you can't just "rob" code, you need to understand it properly to integrate it into your own program. Games programmers are notoriously hardcore, and I've seen huge row on various boards about using libraries are stuff like that. Different debate altogether I suppose.

Edited to Fix URL.

[This message has been edited by Void (edited 26-01-2001).]

• Advertisement
Advertisement