Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Place to get a new paint job????

Options
  • 05-04-2005 1:44pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know of somewhere to get a car resprayed to a totally different colour and it has to be cheap???

Cheers
    Jonny.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

send a request into 'Pimp my Ride UK'

ROFL

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

jonny24ie wrote:
    Anyone know of somewhere to get a car resprayed to a totally different colour and it has to be cheap???

Cheers
    Jonny.
    you get what you pay for!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

A friend of mine has a garage just outside Dublin and he can respray cars and do crash repairs.....would be cheaper than in Dublin itself....but still costs abit to get your car resprayed....

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Any chance of getting somesort of a price for it?????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

jonny24ie wrote:
    A friend got his car resprayed here in Dublin for €1000 in metallic grey. He had to strip the car and re-assemble though, which took about 2 months.

The quality was quite good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

jonny24ie wrote:

depends on the

car size/type
    paint used
    body condition(if any body work has to be done)

if we are talking about standard car and normal (not unusual color) then you could sell the car and buy it in right color

it's lots of work to change the color of the car

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

how would one go about a DIY paint job on a car?????????

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

jonny24ie wrote:

if you need to ask... don't even thing of it...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

jonny24ie wrote:

Down to your local DIY Shop, some "high Gloss" and a few paint brushes should do it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

JohnCleary wrote:
    Down to your local DIY Shop, some "high Gloss" and a few paint brushes should do it :)

Get some painter mate to fill in the gaps!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

Sure if you repaint it, reselling is gonna be a nightmare. People will think it was in an accident

i'm only posting this for a friendso they are dictating what I put up here. She has a Volvo, big black mafia style car and she wants to get it done Pink!!!! I don't think it would be resold if she got it done to be honest.

jonny24ie wrote:
    i'm only posting this for a friendso they are dictating what I put up here. She has a Volvo, big black mafia style car and she wants to get it done Pink!!!! I don't think it would be resold if she got it done to be honest.

Any bodyshop then... You can even supply the paint if you want. Its going to cost the best part of 2k if its a big car... As stated before, you get what you pay for when it comes to this. Good painting is a skill, and preperation is everything. You could cut the costs down by a LOT by filling in any dents and sanding it yourself... thats half the labour gone already, pretty much half the cost!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

the other side of the story is that preparation is very important, even if you would prepare it yourself , most guys wouldn't touch it including myself.

it's enough work to mask doors and other bits as color will be changed ,every visible bit of black has to be sprayed. you could possible leave some bits black which may just look interesting but is it worth it

yes, spraying is a skill but preparation is very important but paint doesn't cover everything and will highlight any imperfections.

i always ignore the fact that panel was prepared by somebody else, it doesn't really matter.

also some paint are incompatible with others and will have to be sprayed with bar-code primer which is another story.

Its all mad. Thanks for the info lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

since we're on this topic..any ideas how much to get a front bumper and skirts painted in a non-metallic standard-ish colour?

su_dios wrote:
    since we're on this topic..any ideas how much to get a front bumper and skirts painted in a non-metallic standard-ish colour?

Totally depends on whether you go to a professional bodyshop or a backdoor mechanic. I spray all my own bits in my shed and just leave them over-night with the heat on and the result is the same as the 'professional shop'... Its all about the preperation!

Back on topic, about 200-250 euro for bumper and skirts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

yea i'd say i could pull it off.used to do a good bit of graff back in the day. but i've seen a lot of botched paintjobs going around the city and it just looks so bad.not sure i want to chance it really..plus they'll be better at matching the colours too. thanks

Advertisement