Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3DS MAX Question

Options
  • 17-01-2001 3:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭

Quick question for any MAX people out there.

I have a small low-poly model of a spaceship. I want to texture the damn thing. How do I go about doing this? I read somewhere that MAX can do an "unwrap" on the model, and generate an image map to be used as a template for the texture? Does this sound right?? How the hell do I do this?!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭Clamor

Kinda of right. I'm having the same problem myself. There are a number of plugins available that you can use to do a unwrap. I still havn't mastered it though. You should try the After hours'/art animation forum as well tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Void

Yeah you're right Clamor. It's just that I know Sico and Havok, among others, read this board. And they studied MAX in college. I'll ask on the Arts board. Clamor, if you'ld like to see your models in a game/demo that I'm coding (non-commercial atm) have a look at http://hosted.quake.ie/void.
    Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭Clamor

What sort of model's would you be looking for.

At the moment, some low-poly space ship models. Small ships like fighters etc, or large ones like capital ships or freighters. Preferably, a bunch of models with a common theme for factions etc. I'm working on putting proper shadowing into the engine, I'd love to see huge cruisers moving along, casting shadows over an entire battle. In games, most models are low-poly as I understand (place-holder fighters I use are 200 polys). The detail comes from their texture, which I have coded into the engine, but can't generate the uv texture coordinates in MAX properly. Also, we're putting in space stations soon, for trading etc, station models would be nice.

Annnnd also, we've vaguely got turrets coded up (well, the AI for them anyway), and the engine supports hierarchical modeling, so bear that in mind for capital ships/stations smile.gif

Thanks for the help!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

Brian has done a few sketchs of ships Peter, we just need something to model them in now *hint* *hint*. Has a nice little fighter thingy and a big ugly transport vessel yoke.
    Will I scan in the sketchs and mail them to you ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Urgh, I know I keep saying I'll give you a hand with some models and stuff, but I'm a lot busier than I thought lately... I'm planning on moving out and getting a new PC and all sorts of ****e, but as soon as it's all settled down I will do something! smile.gif

Put 'em in your mouth and suck 'em
    Clan Acid

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

it'll never settle down sico, just get it done woodya.

ya know id help if i could but I can't even even do a straight line with a ruler so you aint gettin no sketches nor nothing like it from me. hey hey a triple or quadruple negative cool

just kiddin by the way, i would help if i could but art aint my strong point.

I know what you mean Baz. Art isn't my strong point either. I've got far too much to do anyways, nevermind modelling spaceships and the like. Ronan, send me the sketches. I'm working on getting a MAX cd together. Dom doesn't even have enough hard disk space for it, for the love of jesus. Listen lads, it's grand, if you want to do some models for me, I thank you. If you don't have enough time or whatever, then don't worry about it. It's just that if any of you "budding artists" would like to see your stuff in a "game" (yes, inverted commas) then send 'em to me and I'll see what I can do.

New screenshot for ye: http://hosted.quake.ie/void/pics/testexplosion.jpg.

[This message has been edited by Void (edited 26-01-2001).]

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Landoflemon

Hmmm...the link's not working :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Neodymium

Hmmm...the link's not working :-/

Probably because the thread is 10 years old

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Void wrote: »
    Yeah you're right Clamor. It's just that I know Sico and Havok, among others, read this board. And they studied MAX in college. I'll ask on the Arts board. Clamor, if you'ld like to see your models in a game/demo that I'm coding (non-commercial atm) have a look at http://hosted.quake.ie/void.
    Cheers.

I know Havok, he's still doing Max!

Advertisement