Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ludo game programming course

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Void

WARNING: Personal Opinion.

Funcom are a shower of pr1cks.

Entering rant mode.

When I interviewed with them I got the impression that they were extremely uptight (DOCUMENT MY CODE??? WHAT???). Even though I destroyed their little exam (2 hours - Assembly, 3D Mathematics, OOP), and caught their senior programmer out on a C++ question he asked me, they STILL wouldn't give me the "Senior X-Box Developer" position. And offered me a "3DS MAX Tools programmer" position. Well actually, I reckon it's because their senior programmer lad took a dislike to me, coz I was taking the p1ss out of him during the interview. This incredibly geeky guy (only about 27, with a beard and sandals) had the fúcking nerve to ask me the "Where do you see yourself in five years?" question. That was like a red rag to a bull, so I had to tell him that I envisioned myself with a "beard and sandals". The two other HR people at the interview promptly fell over laughing, leaving him frowning in my direction smile.gif
    I probably should have taken the position they offered me, but it would have meant a fifteen thousand pound pay hit, and getting on a dart, then a bus to get to Sandyford Industrial Estate every day. Fúck that. I was all disillusioned there for a while because I thought Funcom were the only Irish games company. Not anymore: firstly, Funcom are Norwegian, secondly, Kapooki Games (http://www.kapookigames.com) are here. These guys are cool, their office is on Talbot Street (that's in Dublin City Centre for the benefit of muckers), and they are laid back (Counter Strike after work etc). They're looking for programmers and 3d artists, so give them a shout. As an aside: If anyone beats me to a job there I'll hunt them down...

Edit:
    Yeah, I didn't really explain properly why Funcom are pr1cks, allow me to elaborate. They aren't pr1cks as such, it's just that I don't like to work surrounded by bureaucracy. Kapooki is run by a bunch of guys who are about my age (I'm 22, they're about 25), dead sound, and like playing games. The difference between the interviews was unimaginable. The Kapooki guys caught me off-guard by asking me "What makes a good computer game??". I actually drew a blank there for a while, before launching into the "Different strokes for different folks, Tony Hawk vs Civilisation" spiel.
    "Necrosoft" is a far superior name for a games company than "Kapooki", I issued my first Necrosoft invoice the other day, complete with jolly roger etc. Anyone fancy doing a 3DS Necrosoft animation? I have a realtime transparent skull at the moment, with NECROSOFT textured around it.
    Sorry 'bout that, I'll be quiet now smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Void (edited 26-01-2001).]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

well void if you do get in there, let them know you have a friend, well not a friend really an acquaintance, well we're not technically acquaintances either, just tell them you know some wierd dude, who sends you messages, who's looking for a summer job.

ta

Advertisement