Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Diving Holiday Suggestions for a Beginner?

• 05-04-2005 2:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,276 ✭✭✭✭

I took a couple of trial dives out in Malta when I was about 16 and ever since have been dying to get myself some qualifications in it. I've been looking at getting a package deal to Malta and organising an OWD course when out there (I notice some of the schools offer OWD and Advanced OWD at the one go too).

Thing is, Malta seems to be quite tricky to get to when booking late (I'm thinking last week of May). I'm wondering if anyone could recommend alternative destinations/travel agents for booking beginners dive holidays with?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭bigfeller

I learned in Cyprus, water was warm but there wasn't too much to see. Apart from the Zenobia. Which was class.

Most places (near the sea) will have a Padi school. Croatia may be worth a shot, I know of a few CFT clubs here that head there for club hols and have really enjoyed it.

Will you be doing the course with someone or on your own?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

You could try the Carnary Islands as well but I suspect they might be the same as Malta. Turkey has some dive schools, none that I'm familiar with, and is quite backpacker friendly so you don't have to go on a package holiday.

This place is supposed to be good, though I have no first hand knowledge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,276 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

It seems that there's PADI schools in virtually all of the different sun resorts. Cyprus I found a good looking dive school but it's €400 to do the OWD. Is that the kind of price I can expect everywhere? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Sleepy wrote:
    Is that the kind of price I can expect everywhere? :eek:

not at all, you can expect 600 here in ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭NordicDiver

Sleepy wrote:
    Is that the kind of price I can expect everywhere? :eek:

120 € + books and medical check here in Norway for OW padi course with free drysuit experience :)

free drysuit experience :)

In Norway *experience* could mean anything.

I did my OW for US$275 in 2002 in Indonesia so I would pay €400 on the med if I was doing it this year.

Peace wrote:
    not at all, you can expect 600 here in ireland.

And at that price (just to bring up the old argument) you could join a club here and dive every week for a pittance!! :p

I'd rather get the OWD before joining a club. From what I remember of the dive club in college it takes months of playing about in a swimming pool to get any kind of certification instead of just doing it all in 4 days in the ocean. Seems a bit of a no-brainer to me. Can't really see the attraction to "playing" scuba diver in a swimming pool. :)

120 € + books and medical check here in Norway for OW padi course with free drysuit experience :)
    Hmmm, the software I consult on is developed in Norway, wonder if I could get work to send me over for a while...

• Advertisement

Sleepy wrote:
    From what I remember of the dive club in college it takes months of playing about in a swimming pool to get any kind of certification instead of just doing it all in 4 days in the ocean.

If you are lucky you might get to try the snorkel after 6 mnths in the sea :D but remember to have paid the insurance or you have to stand on the pier...

Sleepy wrote:
    Hmmm, the software I consult on is developed in Norway, wonder if I could get work to send me over for a while...

We will take very good care of you :)

If you are lucky you might get to try the snorkel after 6 mnths in the sea :D but remember to have paid the insurance or you have to stand on the pier...

Laying the foundation for another "leats beat up on CFT" thread are we? ;)

Peace wrote:
    Laying the foundation for another "leats beat up on CFT" thread are we? ;)

No point in flogging a dead horse, they rarely dance for you ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭donny

Haha

After having a good look at www.padi.com and a few cheap package holiday sites I've one final question: How widely does the quality of instruction vary between different centres? Is the OWD course pretty rigidly structured to ensure you get similar standards of training in all dive centres or do they vary considerably?

Evil Phil, I like the suggestion of Turkey if it's genuinely backpacker friendly. Have you been over there yourself though? I've only ever heard bad things about it... or is it just that the resort areas are the typical lager lout spots and have resulted in the locals despising the tourists that stay in them?

I avoided the lager lout spots when I was there as I was climbing. I can recommend http://www.kadirstreehouses.com/olymposadventurecentre/index_en.htm if your looking for a party though ;)

Kadirs can organise diving through a local operator, dunno what the quality is.

Sleepy wrote:
    I like the suggestion of Turkey

Hi was in Turkey (marmaris/icmeler) last august, cant recomend it for diving, not much to see good viz though. If you take the course in "warm water" places you should take an drysuit course or advanced course here to get used to "cold" water diving.

Jan

That's pretty much the idea NordicDiver, gonna get the OWD in one of the resorts then join a club and start progressing through the levels here in Ireland. Would love to get my own gear at some stage but from what I've looked at it looks like a fairly serious outlay!

Sleepy wrote:
    That's pretty much the idea NordicDiver, gonna get the OWD in one of the resorts then join a club and start progressing through the levels here in Ireland. Would love to get my own gear at some stage but from what I've looked at it looks like a fairly serious outlay!

I'd watch out doing that, if you do a PADI course and then come back and join a CFT club they will more thank likely make you do the beginners course (CFT Version) all over again.

For example, I remember someone saying on this board that they were a PADI instructor and when they joined a CFT club they had to start their training from scratch.

Getting your own gear can be as big/small an outlaw as you like. Most diving op's in ireland have kit you can rent for the dive/day/weekend.

http://www.scubaireland.com/downloads/Forms/Crossover%20Module%20Oct%2002.pdf

You don't need to start from scratch but you do need to attend a few lectures and demonstrate some in water skills

• Advertisement

Those crossover requirements seem fair enough; I really think everybody should be trained up to rescue diver when going the PADI route. Thats next for me.

Yep, where possible I'd recommend divers get as far as rescue diver. The PADI rescue course in particular is excellent in my opinion

Evil Phil wrote:
    I really think everybody should be trained up to rescue diver when going the PADI route. Thats next for me.

Agreed, worth while course that is. Really people are kind of diving in blissfull ignorance without going through that course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 910 ✭✭✭rick_fantastic

www.safaridiving.com

the open water course is €425. really nice dive center ive been 2 bout 5 times. right on the beach and plentiful dive sites right from the shore or by boat. nice weather pretty much all year round and lanzarote is really cheap.

or

http://www.deep-blue-diving.com/web/en/html/startframe.htm

this is in calete de fusta in fuertaventura. ive been here 3 times the place is really quiet when its not peak season. but the diving is really good all year. Open water course is bout €330.

recommended 2 go when its not peak season as these dive centres are quite small but well run. if u like 2 relax and take it easy tyhese 2 centres are very friendly and well located.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

Usit have a 7 day Cairo -> Dahab -> Cairo holiday incl flights, transfers and 10 dives for E669

Great deal: http://www.usit.ie/367/index.html
    Dahab is hallegedly an excellent place for diving, might be heading myself at that price.

Advertisement