Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fast Unlimited Broadband?

• 05-04-2005 2:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭

Ok, forget smart right now, I need unlimited download broadband. I need to transfer files in excess of 10gb from a computer at my work which I can access via broadband.

I have to do this many times a month so any cap'd limit is usless.

I've heard that Esat BT Business ADSL is the way to go. Does anyone have any opinion on this. (I'm in Arklow Co. Wicklow if it makes a difference).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

Irish broadband? Cheaper uncapped etc... Only cause its cheaper. Business one if its being paid for u get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭IANOC

Skud wrote:
    Irish broadband? Cheaper uncapped etc... Only cause its cheaper. Business one if its being paid for u get it.

yup one of the few that are uncapped!!! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭Ravage

Irish Broadband are not in Arklow though and they do block certain ports and cap people for 24.7 downloading, so i've heard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

Ravage wrote:
    Ok, forget smart right now, I need unlimited download broadband. I need to transfer files in excess of 10gb from a computer at my work which I can access via broadband.

I've heard that Esat BT Business ADSL is the way to go. Does anyone have any opinion on this. (I'm in Arklow Co. Wicklow if it makes a difference).
    such a service doesnt widely exist.

why not get regular broadband and an external hard drive that you can bring to and from work?
    fair enough if this wont work in your situation, but if your the only one accessing the files itll be quicker than broadband,
    and if your not the only one accessing them 2x10 gigs at 2meg upload, max avaiablbe afaik, is gonna take a fair few hours,
    might be quicker to get a dvd burner and a few stamps ;)

yep hd's are cheap these days. Something like €100 for 100gb roughly.

• Advertisement

Nope, I already have a 250gb hard drive.

I am really asking what Esat BT Business ADSL is like as it is uncap'ed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Why not just go for the top Eircom ADSL offering? Whenever they get around to getting it to work, you'll get 4Mbps and it's uncapped and I've never heard of anyone getting grief from them for usage. At the price they're charging for it, they'd better not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Skud wrote:
    yep hd's are cheap these days. Something like €100 for 100gb roughly.
    Recently got a 200GB HDD for €105. HDD case would cost you about €20.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭IANOC

Ravage wrote:
    Irish Broadband are not in Arklow though and they do block certain ports and cap people for 24.7 downloading, so i've heard.

no they reduce your quality of service
    and quite rightly so as if all their customers were downloading 24/7 would it really be broadband????

I'm fairly considerate with my downloads but when I asked the engineers installing my service they basically said in regards to throttling the service tell them **** off :) so if they do they have no right to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

The main limit will be your workplaces upstream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

If this is actually needed for the purpose you mentioned (and not rabid warez-monkeying) then one should remember:
    "Never underestimate the bandwidth of a box of DLT tapes in the back of a station wagon"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭job

Digiweb's New 3Mb offering after the upgrades is €108 p/mth (uncapped)

3Mb/256k - reliable, but pings are a little high for games.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Ravage wrote:
    I am really asking what Esat BT Business ADSL is like as it is uncap'ed

I've had use of a Esat Business 512K and 1MB line over the past 2 years and I have to say its a dam good service.
    - Very littledown time
    - static ip
    - pings are good
    - when they say uncapped..the mean it!

If you can get it, go for it!
    At this stage I wouldn't trade my 1MB/256K line for anything especially given all the bitching and complaining I see from people regarding other services.

I know about 4 other people with Esat Businnes lines and I've never heard them complain about then...except for problems ordering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

im wit digiweb on a 3mb connection
    and download constantly from everything
    and iv had problems but its ireland your
    going to have probs.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

ricey wrote:
    im wit digiweb on a 3mb connection
    and download constantly from everything
    and iv had problems but its ireland your
    going to have probs.

Problems with the English language maybe? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Some of the Netsource packages might be worth investigating. We find them to be very reliable for business use, as they actually understand the concept of customer service and are not a "faceless" company like others I could mention.

Cabaal wrote:
    Problems with the English language maybe? ;)

Give us a chance will you im up most of the night wit the flu :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Anarchist

Ravage wrote:

Esat Business line ya
    2mb/256 unlimited, I am tempted to get this myself, I am on 2mb/128 with Eircom but my conn is really 1.6 or 1.7 and the upload is shyte for me keeping ratio on BT sites.
    You need a vat number unless you were a former customer of EsatBusiness which I was.

Lads just go to digiweb
    3mb/256 no cap €89 ex vat em
    and you can now pay by year
    which is €907.80 (thats not bad)

p.s its too bloody hard to keep up a ratio on bt sites.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

ricey wrote:
    Lads just go to digiweb
    3mb/256 no cap €89 ex vat em
    and you can now pay by year
    which is €907.80 (thats not bad)

where did you get €907.80 from?

€89x12 = €1068 + 21% vat@(224.28) = €1292.28 - €200 Free= €1092.28
    + Connection fee €79(exclVAT)

Is the service reliable and fast as it says constant?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

Anarchist wrote:
    Esat Business line ya
    2mb/256 unlimited, I am tempted to get this myself, I am on 2mb/128 with Eircom but my conn is really 1.6 or 1.7 and the upload is shyte for me keeping ratio on BT sites.
    You need a vat number unless you were a former customer of EsatBusiness which I was.
    Is Interleaving on or off on that Esat Business package?
    Worth finding out before you sign up. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭julius

Anarchist wrote:
    Esat Business line ya

1.7mbit =>1.7 x 1024 = 1740.8kbit/s

1740.8/8 = 217kBytes

Thats about as fast as your going to get in any business or home connection for downloads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Esat Business has interleaving completely disabled on their unbundled lines. So the latency is way better than eircom high interleaved lines, and a lot faster than eircom (or any bitstream company) low interleaved lines.

Praetorian wrote:
    Esat Business has interleaving completely disabled on their unbundled lines. So the latency is way better than eircom high interleaved lines, and a lot faster than eircom (or any bitstream company) low interleaved lines.

Yep its off..they own all the equipment at the exchange its not a resold eircom package in anyway.

Another good thing is you can make the line digital only which means if you want you can stop paying eircom line rental :D

ricey wrote:

That maybe so..but it can be done with a 256K upload,
    imho if you download and don't give back your leeching scum!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Anarchist

Praetorian wrote:
    That would make sense
    when I pld HL1 on esat business I pinged between 20-30
    eircom was 50-60

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Ravage wrote:
    I need to transfer files in excess of 10gb from a computer at my work which I can access via broadband

Forgive me for being nosey - but what do you work at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭julius

Corporate Espionage....hahaha!!!

• Advertisement

digitaldr wrote:
    Forgive me for being nosey - but what do you work at?

I work with video games and I have large transfers of data.

Advertisement