Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Best Pub in dublin

Options
  • 05-04-2005 3:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

Were is the best bar in town ?
    Gotta say my vote does to Kavenaghs in FairView
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

the search option is a good place to start....this is kinda similar:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=226334&highlight=slattery%27s

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭smurph

I have to say i have on many an occasion frequented "Mulligans" in Poolbeg Street, and i find it to be a great pub, good atmosphere, and always has a buzz about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Porterhouse. proper beer, not the usual macrobrew crap. love seeing tourists in there looking for "Guy-ness" (Guinness) and buweiser only to be told dead pan "No"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

smurph wrote:
    I have to say i have on many an occasion frequented "Mulligans" in Poolbeg Street, and i find it to be a great pub, good atmosphere, and always has a buzz about it.

..Not to mention the best pint of Guinness for miles!

As always, The Front Lounge gets my vote. Cool laid back atmosphere, excellent tunes, late opening, Bulmers on tap.. and it's just up the road from Isoldes Tower :D

K.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

different pubs for different nights/crowd/athmosphere etc...

So many bars, so if your just focusing on city centre:
    The Duke for a quiet chat with mates (and they serve Horgardden....mmmm!).
    Sinnotts is great for sports - big screens and near Grafton Street for BKing for half time!
    Porterhouse is great for live music and craic... and more special beer!
    Flannerys always good for a good "messy" night out...
    Dame Lane good for when you feel trenry... and then decide "fook that... lets go to Flannerys!"

• Advertisement

smurph wrote:
    Been there several times and the Guinness is great but last time I was there I was seriously tempted to lock the doors and burn it down on the way out to take all the ugly genes out of the gene pool. it was absolutely horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

kenmc wrote:
    Porterhouse. proper beer, not the usual macrobrew crap. love seeing tourists in there looking for "Guy-ness" (Guinness) and buweiser only to be told dead pan "No"
    I'd probably agree - its a great pub, with great drink and a great atmosphere.

For a great pint of Guinness - Sandymount House.

whiskeyman wrote:
    The Duke for a quiet chat with mates (and they serve Horgardden....mmmm!).
    Aye The Duke is great for a chat and some soft pints, and yeah Hoegaarden is superb. Pity you have to ask for a slice of lemon in it though, they don't serve it up by default.
    Lots of places have Hoegaarden draught by the way - Mar mizu or whatever you call itin the powerscourt centre, Toast in rathmines - thats just 2 I can think of off hand....

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭belmulletman

Hogarden (i can't spell..) love that beer... they also serve it (and to my knowledge this was the first place to have it) in SOLAS on camden st... and that is my favouriteist pub ever...

they also server hogarden in the Front Lounge... not such a good pub! but ok for a quiet chat!

Hogarden (i can't spell..)
    Dude I spelt it for you twice in the previous posting!!!!
    :D

• Advertisement

yeah - heard about Solus doing it, but never went up there. Overdid that whole area as went to College in DIT around the corner.
    Looks like a bucket of beer when they serve it in the proper glass.... and tastes delish!

looks likes this has turned into the Hoegaarden appreciation thread :D

we're going to have to stop talkin about it... I really wanna a pint now... oh and some lovely Solas food (which i may add is F'ing amazing for pub grub... not your standard rubbish...) oh crap... that's it... i'm off for beer and food...

laters

B-Man

whiskeyman wrote:
    yeah - heard about Solus doing it, but never went up there. Overdid that whole area as went to College in DIT around the corner.
    Looks like a bucket of beer when they serve it in the proper glass.... and tastes delish!

looks likes this has turned into the Hoegaarden appreciation thread :D
    I have a sizpack of proper glasses I brought back from Holland when I moved home and one I "borrowed" from a certain pub which serves Hoegaarden in Dublin. Great yokes. Also shipped home 2x crates of it as well. didn't last long :(

I love ANY belgian beer - esp Duvel, Hoegaarden, Delerium Tremens, Judas, Kwak..... hence my love of the porter house.

I have planned to stop into my local Offy on the way home and pick up a few bottles of the stuff... it's expensive, but damnit... its worth it!
    Big plate of Spag Bol, and a few bottles to wash it down with Liverpool Vs Juve on Telly....... sweet!
    I "borrowed" a glass when I was over in Brussels last year... (and got some in a gift pack).
    Must go back soon. Its like heaven!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

Conz on Camden Street.

Best bar in Ireland.

No EUROPE.

Where?
    like where on camden st?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

Hogarden (i can't spell..) love that beer... they also serve it (and to my knowledge this was the first place to have it) in SOLAS on camden st... and that is my favouriteist pub ever...

they also server hogarden in the Front Lounge... not such a good pub! but ok for a quiet chat!

What type of prices are you boys paying for Hoegaarden?
    I'm paying EUR 5.00 a pint of the stuff in the Beacon court HOTEL in Sandyford,
    while I pay EUR 5.35 for a pint of the stuff in the Harbourmaster in the IFSC!

That sounds about right to be honest, but oh so worth it. Esp cos I get no hangover whatsovever from it :) Been a while since I went to the pubs i listed - must go and do a spot check soon :)

yeah, it's €5 in the Duke.... 5.35 is a damn rip off though.
    Typical Harbourmaster... at least the chicken wings redeem them!

Whats the bar in the Beacon Hotel like? I live pretty close by...
    (and it serves my fav beer! how didnt I know?!?)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Voodoo lounge structure and lighting is excellent, little beer garden too. Not to mention the pizza, Doran's same story. Music not as good in both anymore though.

TP Smiths on abbey st. have amazing club sandwiches and lots of other lovely food.

Doyles a fun night out. Always a bito madness in Isoldes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Im not telling you cause if I did ye would all come round with your Britney Ringtones, Irish Times'z, Laptops, Gorgeus GF's etc and ruin it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

whiskeyman wrote:
    I have planned to stop into my local Offy on the way home and pick up a few bottles of the stuff... it's expensive, but damnit... its worth it!
    Big plate of Spag Bol, and a few bottles to wash it down with Liverpool Vs Juve on Telly....... sweet!
    I "borrowed" a glass when I was over in Brussels last year... (and got some in a gift pack).
    Must go back soon. Its like heaven!

I discovered it in Belgium too, nectar of the gods ;) Got myself a few gift packs when I was over there last year.

You can buy it on realbeers.ie, got myself a few boxes for the match! :D
    Prompt and friendly service too

BTW O'Neills on Suffolk St sell it as well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Hogans, Dakota, Porterhouse, Doyles, Toast(Rathmines), Kehoes, Market Bar.

All of these are good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭wayfarer

Ginger Man near the back of trinity is my fave. A nicely-furbished cosy place that sells a pint of Writers Block ale at 2.80

whiskeyman wrote:
    Whats the bar in the Beacon Hotel like? I live pretty close by...(and it serves my fav beer! how didnt I know?!?)
    ditto all round!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭BCB

The Bohs FC Bar Dalymount Park in Phibsboro @ only €3.30 for a pint of lager you cant go wrong............ :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭sleepwalker

doyles and the flowing tide

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭steppen

O' Donoghues on Baggot street, good atmosphere inside and out in the beer garden in summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭d22ontour

The best pub is always the next one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

whiskeyman wrote:
    Whats the bar in the Beacon Hotel like? I live pretty close by...(and it serves my fav beer! how didnt I know?!?)
    kenmc wrote:
    ditto all round!

it's only a new bar, so as you'd expect, very classy decor!
    I love the seats, it's like sitting on your sittingroom sofa in a pub! Music is great, not too loud so you can still speak to your friends without having to shout and covering them in phlem in the process unlike Messr Maguires.

Messr Maguires last saturday charged me only Euro 2.60 for a mixer bottle of soda water and a further Euro 1.70 for a "dash" of lime! Bless the poor publicans, they are strugglin to make ends meet! how do they even manage to make a profit? The theivin sons of bi**hes!

Advertisement