Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bike for Car trade in.

Options
  • 05-04-2005 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭

Hi guys.
    Im currently looking for a car and trying to sell my motorbike. Was wondering if any car dealers do a bike trade in against a car. Dublin area.
    Thanks
    SM

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Not that i have heard of. What bike are you trying to sell? And where is it advertised?

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭spunkymunky

Have it here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=241765

and put an add on the online buyandsell but it doesnt seem to be there. Not sure where else to advertise. Thought a trade in would be so handy. I know one place that does (prospect motors) but not much in the way of cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I had always taken it for granted that when that black day comes that I swop bike for car, I'll just get a motorloan, on the understanding that the lump sum from sale of bike would be offset against the loan as soon as it's received.

You might ask any retailers if they'd cash it for you (125cc, just before Summer - they might be interested), but cash or trade-in, you won't get as much for it as you would selling privately.

Stick it in bike buyers guide and autotrader aswell. They both have websites, dunno if it costs anything though.

If you are desperate to get rid of it, another option is trying to sell it to a dealer. You want €2,400 for it, which a dealer wont give you. They are thieving scum bags! But if you even asked a few shops if they would buy it off you, just say you have another bike lined up that you wanna buy. Then if shop X offers you €1500, play them off against shop Y and then you will know if they are serious about wanting your bike :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

i cant sell my virago either, and theres a few more thatve come up and not been sold.

its getting harder to sell bikes all the time.
    do as seamus suggested and get a loan, then wait for the bike to sell.
    im gonna start readvertising mine as the weather gets better.

ill also be getting a loan and waiting for it to sell,
    although ill be getting a bigger bike , no car for me :D

• Advertisement

seamus wrote:
    I had always taken it for granted that when that black day comes that I swop bike for car, I'll just get a motorloan, on the understanding that the lump sum from sale of bike would be offset against the loan as soon as it's received.

I am getting the loan and hoping to pay with that cash but there are so many people selling Virago's it might very well take a while. And the hassle of it. Thought the dealer thing might be handier. Never thought of the rip of nature of them.
    Will give them sites a go, cheers.

Chalk wrote:
    i cant sell my virago either, and theres a few more thatve come up and not been sold.

its getting harder to sell bikes all the time.
    do as seamus suggested and get a loan, then wait for the bike to sell.
    im gonna start readvertising mine as the weather gets better.

ill also be getting a loan and waiting for it to sell,
    although ill be getting a bigger bike , no car for me :D

Not what i wanted to here but still hoping. would love another bike and was looking but 7 years of it and our lovely winters is enough for me. Also the girlfriend doesnt like em all that much. Bit drafty she says.

Why dont you keep your bike aswell and get a cheap run around car?! You know within a month of selling your bike you will be going mad! My bike is off the road cos of a leaking fuel tap and i havent driven it in 3 weeks and im going mad!

Im insured on the car at home and can nip around in that. Not pushed about the bike. Tbh I dont want to drive it any more but I know what ya mean about missing it. Went a year without transport once. Tough going.
    And having to pay insurance on both. Pricey

Advertisement