Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visual Basic COM Object Debugging.

Options
  • 08-02-2001 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭

Ok, I am testing my VB COM Object functions using Personal Web Server and IIS/MTS on my localhost, I run the project, it instanciates the COM object with MTS and launches my ASP.

I really need to be able to debug the code using breakpoints, and this is the only way I can...I think.

The problem arises when I finish...I 'stop' the project in VB, thus supposedly 'releasing' the COM from MTS. It doesn't. my ASP can still perform it's functionality thru the non-existant COM. I've tried all the usual things within IIS, stopping, refreshing, even deleting suspect stuff. Even after a reboot of my system, the ASP still worked as if it had a COM to use!

Any help, web resource, or shared experience fo this would be useful.

Luc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Ahh the scared art of debugging VB objects in MTS. I've had me fair share of problems but I can honeslty say I never saw this one. My guess is you have build down the vb dll and then put your object into MTS. When you do this everything should work fine. When you put your vb project into debug all that happens is that MTS is told to look and a different dll for debugging and this dll acts as a go between letting you debug in vb. Right with all that explained the following should become clear. If you stop you vb project mts gets updated to look at the dll you have built down which means your ASP will work the finest. Hope this helps.

kayos

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Slosh

Hiya..

Hope im not picking you up incorrectly here..

What I make sure to do is check there is not one instance of the DLL on your system.. ie: when you run the project its the only version running..

Unregister and delete every instance of the DLL - also making sure its not registered in MTS. You'll know if you have it right if you run your ASP/VB client app and it throws you an error about not being able to create activex object..

The only instance of the project on your system should be the one running in VB. Give me a shout tomorrow if you have a problem.. Dev has my number.. I've had _loads_ of these problems in the past smile.gif

BTW its 3:30 and Im plastered smile.gif

Advertisement