Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBB Ripwave - Reasonable Usage?

• 05-04-2005 4:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

First thanks to those who gave advice when I asked about this service a few weeks ago.
    I took it, plugged it in and hey - it's doin ok 40-50 k/s which i reckon is not bad for €30 and no line rental. Reliable so far although not even a week yet.
    The general consensus among people here is that IBB wreck your speeds after a couple of months if you use too much.
    And I've discovered torrents for music! What would be reasonable usage so i get to keep decent speeds i wonder?
    The modem is red hot as it hasn't been switched off yet!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

I can't help with the reasonable usage question. I don't think though that they throttle speeds with usage. From my experience the service is somewhat unreliable and this, together the contention of 40:1 means that you won't always get the advertised speeds.

I would say that when using the service, bear in mind that for every 512k of bandwidth there's approximately 40 people. If everyone queues up downloads day and night then the avarage speed drops to 512k/40 = 12 kbs. Any service like this depends on a lot of people using it for web browsing and such for the most part. If you bear this in mind and act accordingly I can't see IBB having a problem.

Advertisement