Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart Delay Workaround Question

• 05-04-2005 4:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

Hey everybody,

I've registered for Smart Broadband but haven't yet returned the Direct Debit form which they send to you. I've just been reading the threads about having to change number to avail of the service when it's ready (until after the courtcase maybe) or use a number forwarding workaround. They say it will be ready on my exchange in March/April but I'd rather not change my number.
    I was just wondering though...
    does anyone know if, in my current situation, it's possible to sign up for say UTV's free trial until they (hopefully) sort out the number transfers etc? Then after the trial - return the Direct Debit form to Smart and still get the free line rental and all that jazz??
    Or is this just crazy talk?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

As far as i know, you can register now, and thus be in the first 100, then when they contact you about installing, you can tell them you would prefer to wait until the your number can be ported, and as such, you will still be in the first 100,

A) It is determined by when you register and return the direct debit form i beileve.

B) at anytime before you are actually live on their service, you can cancel the order without charge if you want.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

search for workarounds but only in very very recent threads with SMART in the title

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 EliCash

I think I've read the number forwarding workarounds you're talking about(let me know if I'm missing something else though). Is it definite that you have to return the Direct Debit form to be sure that you are within the 100,000?
    Are my options limited to:

1. Returning the form and changing number
    and
    2. Returning the form and setting up forwarding with another number until after the courtcase??

Or can I do what I was saying before? Delay returning DD and sign up to something else.

Thanks for replies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

As i said, register, return the form, tell them to wait for the number to be sorted, get some other service, wait until you get the word from Smart that all is ok, cancel with your temporary provider, hook up to Smart, and welcome free line-rental.

You might want to clarify it with SMART though, dont take my word on it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

After one month of heavy advertising (this was about a month back) they stated that they had 16,000 out of the 100,000 signed up . I would chill.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭julius

IMHO it will be another year at least before Smart reaches the 100,000 mark.

Eircom have had Katherine Thomas shaking her ass on TV for a year and a massive technical infrastructure before they shifted ~100,000 broadband connections.

Give Smart another year possible 2 before they get 100,000 connections...and only then if eircom play nice with LLU(which is very doubtfull).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Diabolus

From the www.smarttelecom.ie website
    Smart Telecom - the better choice, experience the savings.

70,000 customers and growing.

Looks like they've 70,000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭julius

Thats for their TELEPHONE SERVICE!!!!

I think 70,000 telco subscribers is a little too optimistic as well(I am one of the 70,000?)

Broadband Customers = In the Hundreds at best...AKA Testers!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

Have they ANY bb customers live, If they have none are posting here. With us now into the second week of April it's a bit embarressing for thier first phase March/April roll out. btw when I spoke to them at the end of March they claimed all of thier first phase was on schedule.. I wonder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

guys - smart won't have 100000 broadband enabled lines before 2012, let alone before the end of this year.

100000 expressions of interest is not money in the bank.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 EliCash

Seeing as take-up on Smart seems to be slow I'm still thinkin about this!! Does anyone know what happens when you cancel a contract with UTV or Smart or anyone else who takes over your telephone service too? Do you immediately revert back to Eircom or are you left in middle ground with no provider? Just wondering what are the exact ins and outs of transferring from UTV to Smart. Smart's terms state that you need an Eircom line - I presume this doesn't exclude transferring from UTV? UTV just take over the bills and you still have an "Eircom line" right? Are there any other factors which need to be considered or can I just cancel their trial and return the Direct Debit form to Smart... thus transferring directly from UTV to Smart?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

flamegrill wrote:
    100000 expressions of interest is not money in the bank.

It may be for them. I think their funding is based on the numbers of people they sign up. They get x amount of money from their investors per 10k who sign up.

Advertisement