Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Smedias

• 05-04-2005 6:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭

Nominations came out yesterday for the National Student Media Awards

http://www.oxygen.ie/smedia/smedia_shortlist05.php3

TN was nominated for 9, including Newspaper of the Year, Website of the Year, and some individual awards.

Record was nominated for 2, Newspaper of the Year and, rather ridiculously, Layout and Design of the Year.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

Yeah that link doesn't go straight to the page with the nominations, sorry about that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭wayfarer

How does that compare with previous years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Cecilia

The University Record got two nominations; Best Newspaper and Best layout and design. Think the TN got seven nominations. UCD newspapers will probably wipe the boards once again, they got over 20 nominations between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dublin's Finest

i agree. think oxygen has something to do with one of the ucd papers.

sponsorship or something.

(ahem)

I was fairly surprised to see TN up there for website of the year myself.
    Yeah that link doesn't go straight to the page with the nominations, sorry about that!

http://www.oxygen.ie/smedia/smedia_shortlist05.php3

• Advertisement

Actually the UCD Observer got 10 nominations (just one more than TN) and the Tribune got 4 - however there's about 5 other UCD writers who aren't down for any paper.

I dunno. The Observer has always had a monopoly on the awards but TN has been really excellent this year...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭xeduCat

Actually it's the nomination for designer, rather than website, that's on the site. Website of the year is 'tbc'.

Presumably that's because the criteria for good design (layout, ease of use, etc) are different for a good site (i.e. content, frequency of updating, etc).

Indeed you are right..

Actually, the University Observer got 15 nominations, 17 if you count the two photographer of the year ones, as the person nominated for that is a photographer for the observer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

wayfarer wrote:
    How does that compare with previous years?

Not sure about last year - I think Gareth's year got 6 and the year before it was four (that was the first year the Record was shortlisted).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

stargal wrote:
    Actually the UCD Observer got 10 nominations (just one more than TN) and the Tribune got 4 - however there's about 5 other UCD writers who aren't down for any paper.

I dunno. The Observer has always had a monopoly on the awards but TN has been really excellent this year...

by means of confirmation (read gloating) 15 Observer nomination, 10 tribune. (UCD)

I stand corrected. The UCD College Tribune got 5 nominations, not 4. They were nominated in the areas of newspaper, layout/design/ colour writer, journalist and features writer. I think it's a pity the Record didn't get more nominations. I actually enjoying reading a lot of stuff in it, and think it's much better than the Trib. Likewise, I think TN is in an excellent position this year to acutally compete with the Observer, and do well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

ok boys and girls fair play to your newpaper editiors,writers and photographers, i hope you do well in the smedias.

ucd still remains ucd.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

trinners.JPG

yeah, and ucd smells

I was wondering when someone would slap that one out..

i love the new gathering cards.... do one for me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Saying what exactly?

stargal wrote:
    i love the new gathering cards.... do one for me?

Isn't there a bess card already? And they get old fairly quickly.

Sorry, that was Agent Smith posting under my name; I never log out of these things.

And once again, I'm not BESS, I'm Sociology and Social Policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 discokid

Not sure about last year - I think Gareth's year got 6 and the year before it was four (that was the first year the Record was shortlisted).

Last year the University Record got nominations for best newspaper, best editor, best college affairs feature writer, magazine supplement (for radius) and tcdsu.org was nominated for best website. I think that was it... So five nominations if you include the website.

• Advertisement

stargal wrote:
    Sorry, that was Agent Smith posting under my name; I never log out of these things.

wtf?

discokid wrote:
    Last year the University Record got nominations for best newspaper, best editor, best college affairs feature writer, magazine supplement (for radius) and tcdsu.org was nominated for best website. I think that was it... So five nominations if you include the website.

Discokid - would you be especially likely to remember the results from last year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

stargal wrote:
    its all up there in the arts block, no difference to me..

aodh_rua wrote:
    Discokid - would you be especially likely to remember the results from last year?

I would indeed ;)

Ah - my powers of deduction know no bounds. Or maybe it's just former-Ed's intuition!

I would have thought you'd know discokid's identity from the tcd boards, but you got it eventually so kudos...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭little miss

Ah, its sweet to see a former editor love in taking place on the boards. Both of you and Gareth did a great job of the Record....those were the days!

Damn in-jokes.. I'm very confused.

Who are you people?

Please post in who's who thread so I can berate you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Berating would seem a little harsh, rebuke possibly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

Aodh_rua is a dep pres from a few years back. Discokid is last year's dep pres.

Beat me to it!

I guessed you were the same discokid - but I was just checking!

Sorry for any 'in-joke'-ness - I didn't think there was any, but meh.

Aodh_rua is a dep pres from a few years back. Discokid is last year's dep pres.
    I know who aodh-rua is. It's discokid and little missy. Hmm last years dep pres.. has gone outta the ol memory banks unfortunately.
    Berating would seem a little harsh, rebuke possibly.
    I wasn't being entirely serious, more random..

Who the jolly green giant are you though? I kill you

ApeXaviour wrote:
    I know who aodh-rua is. It's discokid and little missy. Hmm last years dep pres.. has gone outta the ol memory banks unfortunately.

How could you forget the lovely discokid - http://www.tcd.ie/Junior_Dean/Gallery/TB2004/images/DSCF0028_JPG.gif

And just to cover myself - for some reason those photos were posted on one of the other threads - it's not like I memerised the link! And I'm there too if Myth wants a laugh - http://www.tcd.ie/Junior_Dean/Gallery/TB2003/images/215956AA_JPG.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

Oh, I've seen you around a couple of times. Not that that's particularly amazing or anything, seeing as we go to the same college and all, but still, at least I can put a name to a face now...

(excuse me, I'm rather tired)

aodh_rua wrote:
    How could you forget the lovely discokid - http://www.tcd.ie/Junior_Dean/Gallery/TB2004/images/DSCF0028_JPG.gif

And just to cover myself - for some reason those photos were posted on one of the other threads - it's not like I memerised the link! And I'm there too if Myth wants a laugh - http://www.tcd.ie/Junior_Dean/Gallery/TB2003/images/215956AA_JPG.gif

Nice nice. Practicising the dancing I see?

• Advertisement

For those who may not have heard yet -

TN picked up Newspaper of the Year at the Smedias on Wednesday night :D
    There were a couple of worried faces when the UCD Observer got Editor of the Year (the two awards usually go hand in hand), but the good will out, and TN won!

Derek Owens also deservedly won Journalist of the Year

Icarus won Magazine of the Year and Paul Caffrey won National News Reporter.

TCD has a lot to be proud of :)

stargal wrote:
    For those who may not have heard yet -

TCD has a lot to be proud of :)

DAMM STRAIGHT!

I'M IN TRINITY

Advertisement