Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Perl

Options
  • 18-02-2001 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭

maillWell hello, I'm gonna be havin a stab at CGI programming soon, and I would like to know which would be best to work with perl or c. I already know c so I wouldn't have to learn it however I would like to learn a new language, so I don't mind learning perl.

The thing is though that I use windows exclusively, and I was wondering if you could create a c program for CGI and then upload it to your CGI-bin and it would work the same (even if the server is not windows), also I was wondering about the same issue for Perl.

Anyone got any thoughts...

ta Baz_

<EDIT
    Also if you have any good links to good tutorial sites, for perl and cgi 'twould be much appreciated
    </EDIT>

[This message has been edited by Baz_ (edited 18-02-2001).]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

i took a stab at perl a few years back, as far as i remember the learning curve isnt too steep as long as you have a firm grasp of C.

It would probably be better to work with in the long run since its easier to write web applications like searches, shopping carts etc. with.

there shouldnt be any problem writing it in windows, you can test out your proggies with a win32 interpreter (www.perl.com has a few), and as long as you have r-w-x permissions set up on the directory your uploading to, your flying smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

Check out http://www.itknowledge.com/reference/dir.archive1.html for 178 free on-line versions of professional books, from Java game programming to C++ books to CGI progamming.

It's a great resource to have, no matter what you're programming.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭dogs

Perl would be a better choice, it's just much easier/less error-prone when it comes to parsing text.
    It's pretty easy to learn, you'll probably find it "easier" than C, and PHP is quite similar. Infact knowing Perl and C will
    have you started in PHP in about 20 minutes.

As for your compilation question, well, um, kinda obvious innit :)
    Same as anywhere else, you'll need to compile it for the target system. :)

www.perl.com would be the best place to start

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Greenbean

Go for ruby if you can. Essentially object orientated perl, thats gonna take off in a big way.

http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭podgeen

www.programmingtutorials.com has links to come good sites....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

www.perlmonks.com is a great place for picking up little tips and tricks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

ta lads will follow them up fairly lively.

oh and to dogs, when I asked that question, I was wondering more about perl programs than C ones, although I know it didn't come accross that way, soz. But anyway since they are interpreted (aren't they), is what I said possible, i.e. create, test and debug with windows, then upload to whatever OS and it will run the same???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

Yeah you can pretty much, just as long as you don't make any system specific calls.
    i.e. system("ls -al");

Otherwise Perl is about as portable as Java.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

ta eniygma, that also is a very nice link there by jazz

Advertisement