Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Programming contest

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

Don't think I'll be entering that, I would kind of like to but I've never touched linux, and so can't really enter methinks.

BOO HOO!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Void

Yeah I suppose I do, with the AI and that.

It's not a programming problem, it's a maths problem though. I only had a quick glance over it, but that's the impression I got. It may look deceptively easy, but you have to bare in mind that velocity behaves assentotically (is that a word?) in newtonian simulations such as that. All those fancy words mean that you must accelerate to a certain speed, but then decelerate so you reach the target with zero velocity (which is impossible). Velocity has to "tend" towards zero. That's my limited understanding, I amn't maths boy. Throw in rotational acceleration/velocity and it gets really nasty. In Void we're trying to simulate the engines properly, you can use retro thrust, but it won't be as powerful as the main engine on the back of your ship. Blah blah blah really manky.

On the bright side, I just got proper collision detection going! Ok, I cheated and uses an external library (SOLID 2.0.2) but it rocks, things collide with proper momentum and that. But you can bokk puny mortal ships out of the way with your giant cruiser smile.gif Niiiice...

I'll show that problem to "maths boy", he'll lash it out of it.

Edit-o-metrics.
    New screenshot: http://hosted.quake.ie/void/pics/antoship.jpg
    Notice the wierd pink text. So much for upgrading my font library (glTexFont). The whole point of the screenshot is to demonstrate the textured ship. It's only a test, but I have a proper artist guy now and I was just testing UV texturing on complex objects (planets are easy...). I gotta add some engine glow to the ship, and he's redoing the texture, so the ****pit is all shiny and black, and it has a gratuitous "sharks mouth" yokey on the nose. Should be the business. That ship there is the first proper (C) Necrosoft model!! Wahey! All the rest of ye (GreenBean, Sico, Havok) get your asses into gear if you want to show what you can do. Oh yeah, my artist mate says 3DS Max is for wimps! He uses SoftImage (I never heard of it before!). He doesn't do game stuff much though, mostly architectural scenes (housing estates, hotels etc). Feedback is welcome....

[This message has been edited by Void (edited 21-02-2001).]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

All's I have to say is kick ass!!!

But then again that's enough to be saying isn't it.

<EDIT>
    about the picture like
    </EDIT>

[This message has been edited by Baz_ (edited 23-02-2001).]

Advertisement