Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

moped insurance - no fire and theft?

Options
  • 05-04-2005 6:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭

hey,

basically i messed up, insured my moped thinking i was insuring it for third party fire and theft, but got the proposal form in the quote today and it's third party only, which is pointless really, as what i'm most worried about is it getting nicked.

it seems my only option is to pay for comprehensive, can anyone confirm this? :(

am with hibernian by the way. presume its the same situation with aon.

thanks a million

-- edit: i know this is gonna sound really dumb.. but i presume comprehensive covers theft too, and not just damage to myself/bike?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

no there are three insurance options.
    1. Fully Comp
    2. Third Party Fire and Theft
    3. Third Party only.
    Just ring them and change it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭isolde

even with a moped?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

yeah I had one a few years ago and all the options are the same for a moped.

hmm thanks.
    have been looking at website though and gives only the 2 options. dunno if its worth my while paying an extra 500 quid for comprehensive. bike only worth around 1000 as is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

AFIK hibernian will only do third party or comp. Maybe give AON a call since they are will AXA now and you don't have to go thru a broker? I had third party on my moped and I used to worry abt it getting nicked all the time - I went for comp when I changed to my bike for peace of mind!

thanks.
    yea will cross my fingers and try aon tomorrow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

aon with me (about 1 1/2 yrs ago) only did third party, no fire and theft, so unless u are in your mid twenties with driving experience, u dont really have a lot of choice in insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

aon and hibernian do NOT do third party fire and theft. There is no way you will get it from them. It is rediculous but there is no way around it.

Carole Nash do third party fire and theft but its got some of Carole Nash's wierd clauses.......something like you have to have a full licence and be over 25 to qualify for it!

thats a joke lads cos, i worked in law for three and a half years and to be honest by law they have to give all three options to you. they can't leave out one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Let's face it mate, its like the rest of the insurance industry in Ireland ands its totally ****ed up

yea rang them both and neither do it.
    extra 520 to pay.
    disaster!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,862 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

BrynW wrote:
    Carole Nash do third party fire and theft but its got some of Carole Nash's wierd clauses.......something like you have to have a full licence and be over 25 to qualify for it!
    And they don't insure bikes under 250cc
    jonny24ie wrote:
    thats a joke lads cos, i worked in law for three and a half years and to be honest by law they have to give all three options to you. they can't leave out one.
    :rolleyes: Completely untrue, all they have to offer is third party only, and they're not even obliged to quote you for that!

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭The General

Im with hibernian, 49cc moped
    1st year insured - third party, €690 (i was 19 at the time)
    2nd year insured - third party, €750 (i was told i would get 10% off my second year, but it turned out it was 10% off the insurance been charged at the time not my original price from previous year)

I'm 22.. Carole Nash would only insure me if I had a 2 year NCB.
    Have to be 24 for first time insurance.

Hibernian - 430 3rd party; 950 fully comp
    Aon - 410 3rd party; 915 fully comp - though Aon quoted 380 3rd party originally but different guy on phone, different price...

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

I'm with Carole Nash now. Marginally cheaper than Hib last year, but still increased on previous year even with extra year's NCD and RoSPA test done. Insurance is not going down the way car insurance has.
    You can rant and rave about it here or you could get on your bike and participate in MAG protest on 15th April, meeting at 2pm Wilton Place. They've normally been held on a Saturday when there's no-one to meet at the Dáil and there's been little to no media coverage either.

@OP, there are 3 types of cover generally, but for cars, I've never been offered TPO for the car. It's been TPFT and FC. You should be able to correct the cover you have within a few (14) days of policy; there is some law for other finance products. Have you called the insurants company to see if they'll amend the policy? For an extra 500 yoyos premium on a 1000 yoyo bike, I'd forgo the extra cover: buy a BFO lock for 100 yoyos, preferably one of the "Security Approved" or Thatcham approved locks. There's supposedly some guarantee with them. Don't be foolish about where you'd leave the moped. Lock it to something like a streetlight if parking overnight. The scum who try to steal things don't like to be seen or take too much time hanging around where they might get caught.

Advertisement