Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C programmer looking to learn a new language, what should it be?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

jessy wrote:
    Can you explain what you mean by this.
    And theres not in java???
    What C complier were you using?
    For C, I think I was using the gcc compiler in the Cygwin BASH shell. I learnt C, then a crash course in C++, and then Java.

When learning Java I remember having trouble with the likes of pass-by-reference and pointers etc. (when I was fine with them in C). In my experience, I noticed more of my C code mistakes from debugging, and more of my Java mistakes from compilation failure. I prefer seeing something going wrong and learning from it than a compiler telling me what could happen.

Different folks different strokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

rsynnott wrote:
    Are many people actually employed to write desktop apps in VB?

Yes. Loads. Especially in Ireland.

As far as I remember, the "new" police system some years back was written almost entirely in VB. The analysis said that while the preferred language would have been C++ (at the time, at least), the available skillsets dictated that the only suitable language they'd find in enough supply on the market was VB.

Despite its poor reputation, you could do some good stuff with VB. The problem was that it made it very easy to do not-so-good, mediocre, bad, right through to downright awful stuf too.

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

bonkey wrote:
    ... The analysis said that while the preferred language would have been C++ (at the time, at least), the available skillsets dictated that the only suitable language they'd find in enough supply on the market was VB.

That's frightening.

Advertisement