Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shogun Warriors DS (First RTS!)

Options
  • 05-04-2005 8:27pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭

This is looking sweet. 2D on the bottom screen 3D on the top, you control them via the 2D touch screen. 16 player multiplayer sounds ambitious but imagine if they pull it off! Adding mini games sounds like a cop out though, if the game is solid then minigames should only be added as a bonus not to make you want to come back...

http://ds.ign.com/articles/601/601648p1.html
    Along with the dozens of single player campaigns, Shogun Warrior will feature wireless battle for as many as 16 players. The title will also have touch screen-based minigames to increase replay value in single player and multiplayer mode.

shogun-warrior-the-lost-army-20050405103529102.jpgshogun-warrior-the-lost-army-20050405103527664.jpgshogun-warrior-the-lost-army-20050405103527118.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yeah, this is looking mighty sweet....

If they develop games correctly and in this style (assuming it comes off well), the DS will make up for inferior graphics to the PSP with the touch screen easily!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

If only the DS has slightly better graphics...the 3d just doesnt cut it for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭dearg_doom

Ace news!

But how has it taken almost 6months(AFTER launch) for an RTS to be announced for the first non-PC system that looks made for the genre???

Even EA has announced C+C:PSP last week, although ':rolleyes:' in fairness:D

Even EA has announced C+C:PSP

Killer title, but I can only imagine the controls bring shíte in comparison to the DS stylus. PSP Analog, not good!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Tusky wrote:
    If only the DS has slightly better graphics...the 3d just doesnt cut it for me.

unless you've played it, don't judge screenshots as the graphics, they look much different on the actual ds screen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

But how has it taken almost 6months(AFTER launch) for an RTS to be announced for the first non-PC system that looks made for the genre???

Why bother introducing an RTS at all when it doesnt even begin to touch the standard that has been set for an RTS?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Why bother to have any consoles since they don't come up to the standard of PC?

The DS is a handheld console if you wannt to play Total War equivlent games on the move buy a laptop, but good luck trying to get in a quick game on the bus. Compare like with like...

The DS is a handheld console if you wannt to play Total War equivlent games on the move buy a laptop, but good luck trying to get in a quick game on the bus. Compare like with like...

Exactly. I think the DS Stylus and Dual screen system is worth way more in the handheld market then the PSPs superior graphics are.

Give me DS anyday, a true victory for handheld revolution!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Why bother to have any consoles since they don't come up to the standard of PC?

Well, I dont because they dont, but I recognise consoles can give you more bang per buck when you cant splash out on a top range system.

This doesnt look like it even reaches standards set by other consoles, let alone the king of the genre. Do you think theres any point companies introducing games like GTA that are worse than GTA, even if theyre on a different system? GTA has set the standard in that particular market.

And has for the handheld exscuse. Fair enough, but I just dont follow the logic of paying money to use a limited system to play outclassed games in a bus, where you cant really concentrate on playing comftably anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

Sand wrote:
    Fair enough, but I just dont follow the logic of paying money to use a limited system to play outclassed games in a bus, where you cant really concentrate on playing comftably anyway.

How much concentration do u need to play mario, in fairness?

• Advertisement

Sand wrote:
    Well, I dont because they dont, but I recognise consoles can give you more bang per buck when you cant splash out on a top range system.

This doesnt look like it even reaches standards set by other consoles, let alone the king of the genre. Do you think theres any point companies introducing games like GTA that are worse than GTA, even if theyre on a different system? GTA has set the standard in that particular market.

And has for the handheld exscuse. Fair enough, but I just dont follow the logic of paying money to use a limited system to play outclassed games in a bus, where you cant really concentrate on playing comftably anyway.

Again your comparing to compleatly differant things. Differant != out classed. Handheld gaming ment to to be compleatly differant to other systems, is for playing on the bus/train/plane/anywhere. If compnaies took your approch to making games we would have a everything on the PC with one game in each genre and a load of sequels, how boring would that be.

The idea is to give varity, just coz you think GTA is the best thing since sliced bread dosn't mean everyone thinks it is and maybe they prefer a differnt game in a similar style. Handhelds may be limited but they have some great ga,es. Gfx and Mhz dont mean anything, a game you enjoy playing is everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

Sand wrote:

If you don't see the point in handheld gaming then fair enough but that isn't a very sound basis saying people should bother developing or paying for handhelds. I owe a gba sp and its really handy to just pull out and have a few quick games of Advanced wars or doom. I still enjoy playing these even though I've played similar games which are far superior. Its the fact that you get get your hands on the game anywhere you go and in most situations.

Also if you applied your logic of "not bothering" to develop or buy games because you feel they're not up to the standard that's already been set to the games industry you'd kill any little bit of innoviation that's left. Unless you try to create something or play something you really don't know how good its going to be. So you're only judging if something is done based on the marketing for the game/reviews or maybe how similar it is to previous games. Its this sort of thinking which has led to the likes of EA churning out SAME OLD **** IV.

The DS is an experiment and if Ninty pull it off then we could be introduced to a completely new form of gaming which sets a standard all of its own.

Advertisement