Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone interested in a computer/programming club (Galway area)

Options
  • 25-02-2001 4:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭

I was thinking about setting up a club in the Galway city area for computer enthusiasts and programmers (anyone 18+ welcome, there might be some drinking sessions, who knows?).

The club could be beneficial to students or plain old enthusiasts, who want to share info, games, utilities (anything relevant).

Anyway let me know...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭madyoke

oh perhaps perhaps!

on a similar point i'm setting up a dog-nut SOCIETY, we will travel the nations in search of the ultimate dog-nut!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

Oh! for crying out loud, not the ultimate dog-nut quest again. Every time I want to setup a club that damn nut intervenes.

Anyway on a more serious note, SERIOUSLY!.

I think setting up a club would be a good way for people to get together and improve their skills @ a faster rate. Also it would also be a good way to get potential employers interested. I.e I am currently involved in a computer/programming club (which if you didn't notice shows enthusiasm)

I think this is the kind of thing that companies are looking for. Especially if we accomplish something as a group, like a website or something productive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

What sort of things do you want to do with the club?? If its for experence you should really do it your self. I know I would hate doing a big chunk of work on a site or something like that and some-one else gets a job because of it. In saying that I would kinda be interested. Post up some more info on it or mail me.

kayos

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

aaw cmon doesn't matter who gets the credit from a boss, but what matters is that they give you a reference to their new boss, remember its not what you know blah blah....

The club won't involve you doing anything you don't want to. But everything you do get involved in, your participation will be completely acknowledged. I have a site myself online. We could have the club as an extension to that site or else we could develop a new one from scratch (I recommend that!).

I would like the club to meet @ least once every week, where we can exchange ideas and get the solutions to computing problems we may have.

I myself have plenty of stuff to get people off the ground in to programming for example if they are interested (Compilers, Tutorials). All this stuff will be distributed for educational purposes only.

If anyone would like to mail me, you can get me @ galway_computer_club@hotmail.com. But of course I will constantly be in reply on this BBS.

There is just one thing that I want to point out WRT the club. Since I am trying to attract people from every level of computing, I don't want ego trippers that know it all, and laugh in the face of beginners/newbies. After that anything goes.

phobos :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Need more info .

Al.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

quote:
    "I don't want ego trippers that know it all, and laugh in the face of beginners/newbies"

Al - he doesn't want you - fluff off wink.gif

Actually, we should teach you (phobos) how not to annoy those ahead of you in college by renaming Quake in the CAD lab...

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Prepare yourself - The Beefy King stirs from his slumber...</font>

"In todays class we'll be looking at creating tables within an MS Word Document.

So just go Start, Programs, MS Office, Winword and Word will ... what the hell is this?"

oops.

K, for starters if I wanted to startup a club that helped people brush up their DTP skills, do you honestly think I would have posted it on a programming board??
    -[I don't think so]-

I am trying to find a way to get bedroom programmers jobs!!. I have seen stuff like this in Dublin, and it helped people get their own little projects up and running faster.

At the moment I am developing server side components which can run on any platform (EJBs), which could interact with a client applet for example or maybe an ActiveX component sitting on a browser. Maybe there is someone else out there doing or has done something similar...
    [See what I'm gettin @]

Nobody has anything to lose, if anything I am trying to help people, not take anything away.

;-phobos-)

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Greenbean

I've done a applet to server application. The applet would read .wav files from your harddrive and the server (written in c++ in unix) would encode it and send it back.

The java sandbox was the biggest problem there.

• Advertisement

Well done mate ;-)

But how did you override Java security and give the applet access to the local drive!.
    -[sounds interesting]-

But on the otherhand has anyone dabbled in component development (preferably server side). The client software is not really relevant here!.

:-phobos-)

Relax there Weston, that was an actual example of something we done in (to!) the CAD lab, not a go at your DTP skillz! Destruction lecturers were not too happy w/ us if I recall smile.gif

Al.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭black_wizardd

fuzzy tongue.gif, welcome to the boards, the flopster here bty

The doctor says im getting much better :)

Ah the truth emerges!

Sorry about the CAD lab incedent!, but I just wanted to play Quake (Bold Dav + Co.)

Dav I am going to have to arrange a visit to your new gaff, for some tea and perhaps a scone (with some jam) and some chicken wings (medium spicy). ;-)

Isn't Eamo, going to Galway this week. I am home friday afternoon, we might get together for a final Rag week bash (GMIT main campus style). We'll see.

Anyway I gotta go, coz I ramble on, and I am really taking the **** out of this room's topic of discussion.

C ya.
    PS: Good ta see ya Jimmy, don't worry you will get better someday, somehow, somewhere (bursting in to song). G'luck!

Actually Al, Weston is the one who had those "echo John Farrell here - we know what you're doing and you will be reported" messages - bold Weston.

Anyway - The idea is fundamentally a good one and I'm interested.

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Prepare yourself - The Beefy King stirs from his slumber...</font>

You just wanted to play Quake?!?!?! Ya little bollix! Why did you keep shutting down the server on us when we joined in so? Hmmmm smile.gif

Btw Dav, some of my VB muppets expressed an interest in this club thingy...

When are we having a lan??!?!

btw anyone in Galway have a spare PCMCIA n/w card? smile.gif

Western, you coming down this week? Tis rag week here...

Take it handy...

Alo.

Ah yes!,

But don't you remember I was only a wee Electronic Engineer, but now, for I am an almighty 3rd yr programmer (sweeet).

Also I should have told ye that I had been programming in C a year before I met you guys. Damn first years, they'll never learn (the youth of today!!, or something along those lines).

What's this I hear about a LAN eh?, it's a magical word in my box. Alas 9 cats out of 10 don't know what they're missing, or possibly even know what I'm talking about. Which reminds me, I must stop talking to cats!. I play Quake3, but I am a bit of a UT fan (it's much faster).

Anyway I gotta go, Brian O'Shea is about to give a speech on the JDBC::ODBC bridge. N E way I will probably be back several times today (shows my interest in Java Remote Database Connectivity) ;-)

;-phobos-)

Tell the BOS I said hello and tell him I still know that the JAVA virtual machine reads in machine code which then blagh de frickin blagh!

Eamon will be in the City of the Tribes on Thursday and Friday (I suspect), so a few drinky poos are in order (except I'm supposed to be going to Mayo for Friday night).

As for a LAN, myself and Jaden are looking to make RODLAN!!! a reality. Watch this space...

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭adigilani

so, any progress with the club....
    i am a 2nd year student at GMIT for software development...
    Would love join a club as GMIT don't have one...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

10 years old thread!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭adigilani

yup...
    but the computers are still here and there are number of enthusiast out there... so why not...

Ye gods, I was young and very annoying.

OP, please start a new thread, this one is past it :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement