Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

an interesting little bittie

Options
  • 07-03-2001 6:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭

//if you compile this in microsoft visual youll have to restart your computer to get rid of it - heehee!

#include <iostream.h>
    int main()
    {
    while (1 < 2)
    {
    cout <<"\a\a\a\a\a\a\a\a\a\a\a\a\a\a\a\a";
    }
    return 0;
    }

//the simplest are the best

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Snaggle

he he, stupid windows, I remember when I saw people telnetting to a machine from windows, I used to telnet there too and spam \a bells at them and make their machine beep to death

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Void

While (1 < 2)???? Tssk tssk.

Wasn't ctrl-g the bell character? I used to blow away dumb terminals with that.
    Even nastier, you could embed shell commands and carriage returns into stuff you echoed to peoples screens, stealing their shell, or giving you rhosts or whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Void

This was five or six years ago on a Digital Unix system. There were loads of exploits.

One of the best was "stealing someones shell". Someone leaves their terminal without logging off, you sit down, copy /bin/sh to a hidden directory (preferable under your ownership), and chmod u+S /dogs/sh. Then logout, log back in as yourself and make the directory execute only. Wallop, any time you want, you can execute the shell and hax04 their account. Of course, the sysadmin could sort it out, but it was still fun (you could do it to root as well, as a trojan). Fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

tut tut tut naughty naughty void,

if your just running it in the compiler, you can press control break to quit it, also to make it a teeny weeny bit shorter all you need is
    while(1)
    and oh yeah, indent you fool

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Writing to other people's terminals is usually controlled via the write application, which is sgid. FreeBSD's write program filters out control characters and some other systems I'm sure, but I guess not all vendors have taken this precaution?

[This message has been edited by X_OR (edited 09-03-2001).]

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Grabbing an unattended terminal is an exploit now? Nice description of the root trojan attack btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Lord Khan

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Baz_:
    tut tut tut naughty naughty void,

if your just running it in the compiler, you can press control break to quit it, also to make it a teeny weeny bit shorter all you need is
    while(1)
    and oh yeah, indent you fool
    </font>

can i Just point out gimp didnt't write that :-) he just compiled it instead under vc++
    hehehe

Advertisement