Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Urgent help .. Make programme into exe

Options
  • 05-04-2005 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

can any one tell me how i make a visuall c++ programme into an exe file ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

Just compile & build it! The .exe will probably be in the Debug folder of your project.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Help > Help Topics

Also, note the spelling of 'program' when you're reading that.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

satchmo wrote:
    Just compile & build it! The .exe will probably be in the Debug folder of your project.

Assumptions. :)

First off, does he have source code only? Or does he have VC++ IDE? Will the IDE support creating exes?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Hobbes wrote:
    Assumptions. :)

First off, does he have source code only? Or does he have VC++ IDE? Will the IDE support creating exes?

Surely all VC++s do compilation? They'd be a little on the useless side if they didn't... If he doesn't have the IDE, MS have free versions of their compiler and (I think) build tool.

Sico wrote:
    Help > Help Topics

That's the American version. He used the English one. Both are still acceptable, tho 'program' has to be the most prevelent Americanism around...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Programme = TV , Schedule etc.

Program: Computers.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Webmonkey wrote:

Fast rule but not a hard one, though I tend to follow that rule myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

rsynnott wrote:
    Surely all VC++s do compilation? They'd be a little on the useless side if they didn't... If he doesn't have the IDE, MS have free versions of their compiler and (I think) build tool.

probably do now, but you used to be able to get demo versions that did everything except make an EXE.

Webmonkey wrote:

This is what most people (including me) use, but it's the other way (programme for everything) is more correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

OP if you only have the source code for the program you need to download the IDE for it (integrated development environment) This may or may not be free.

If you want it for something specific it may be worth your while mailing the source code to someone on this forum - who might compile it for you if you ask nicely.

However if you want it for a more long term purpose (like trying to learn C++ coding) Then it will be worth your while obtaining a copy of Visual C++ or Visual studio.

There are lots of C++ compilers/IDE's out there some that spring to mind are MS Visual C++ (C# is newer)
    Borland C
    Gnu C++ (believe there is a windows version of this on sourceforge atm)

Im not a C coder but its worth bearing in mind that all compilers should compile Vanilla C++ source code but your code may contain calls to OS specific libraries (eg Win, Win32, Unix, Linux) or Non Standard C++ Libraries (ie Microsoft, borland etc etc)

Good luck!

• Advertisement

rsynnott wrote:
    This is what most people (including me) use, but it's the other way (programme for everything) is more correct.
    Yes your're right. Just checked it up there on http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=programme

Programme is actually an US English word?

Sico wrote:
    webmonkey wrote:
    rsynnott wrote:
    Yes your're right. Just checked it up there on http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=programme

Programme is actually an US English word?

Maybe one of you guys will compile Elfmans source code for him whilst your discussing the different spellings of program???

Yeah send it to me, PM me and i'll do job for you if you want.

Webmonkey

PS. He hasn't replied since, nothing wrong with discussing spellings.

Webmonkey wrote:
    PS. He hasn't replied since, nothing wrong with discussing spellings.
    True. But it got you to make the offer. ;)

Maybe one of you guys will compile Elfmans source code for him whilst your discussing the different spellings of program???

He hasn't shown what he's done so far to tackle the problem himself. Why should we do it for him if he hasn't (to our knowledge) put any effort into it himself? No problem in discussing minor issues like spelling until he posts back, IMO.

Sico wrote:
    He hasn't shown what he's done so far to tackle the problem himself. Why should we do it for him if he hasn't (to our knowledge) put any effort into it himself? No problem in discussing minor issues like spelling until he posts back, IMO.

Out of the kindness of your heart?? You have a heart I assume??

thanks for helping me drag things even further off topic

Ok lets not start arguements over something stupid. Why not we wait till he comes back... if ever.

Im not a C coder but its worth bearing in mind that all compilers should compile Vanilla C++ source code but your code may contain calls to OS specific libraries (eg Win, Win32, Unix, Linux) or Non Standard C++ Libraries (ie Microsoft, borland etc etc)

Good luck!

Erm, yes, they should. They don't, though. The C++ standard tends to change, and implementation tends to differ. Something that compiles with gcc 2.9 probably will need to be changed for gcc3.3, for example. For C, however, most C without proprietary calls should compile and run correctly on just about anything (provided it doesn't make assumptions about integer sizes, use of the ASCII system and so on). Even then tho, implementations differ; most C compilers allow multi-line strings, for example, even tho they're not in the standard. A recent version of GCC dropped them.

Out of the kindness of your heart?? You have a heart I assume??

From the charter:
    FREQUENTLY GIVEN ANSWER

The most frequently given answer on the programming board is "Give us more info". So make sure that when posting a question you give as much detail as possible, including stuff you've tried that failed. If you show that you've made an effort at the problem then people are more likely to help. Asking people to write your homework without making any attempt at it will result in a PFO (Please Try Elsewhere).

Plus, the OP hasn't posted the source code for me to look at and/or compile. If he posted said code, and what steps he has taken so far to get his own work done, we can get back on track. Until then, I am unable to be more helpful.
    Sico wrote:
    Help > Help Topics

If the guy is using MS Visual C++, my previous reply above will tell him everything he needs. Hell, maybe he's off compiling away as we type!

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Elfman

Wow didn't know id get this much responce truth be told the first reply answered myy qeustion,

i recently handed up a project for college so i've had a load of threads up with problems i've been having so i want to say thank you to the users of this form as you've a huge massive help

so thank you all !!

(especilly to who ever offered to complie my programme(or however u spell it)

that's awful sound as a said problem solveed and project handed up . i'l let u know how i got on (seeing as it's kinda ur project too (-; (BUT I GET ALL HE CREDIT HA HA HA !!)

• Advertisement
Advertisement