Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRT question

Options
  • 06-04-2005 2:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi all,

I hope someone can give me some info on the VRT??

Do they actually examine the car? What do they actually look at, chassis number, engine codes??

Thanks in advance,

Andy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I get the impression most cars are treated as generic Year X Make Y Model Z sub-model A.

They don't particularly care if it's gold plated or is a hunk of junk.

Yhey are unlikely to check each and every plate, engine number, etc., but are perfectly entitled to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭xonencentral

Depends on the VRT inspector, they will charge you extra for alloys, good stereo, sunroof if its not standard on that model, they have excellent database resources on models and the models specific details which they can draw on and they do check every plate as it is required to combat "ringing".

If your engine number dosen't match, you need to explain but you should get it through with a bit of checking but if the chassis number dosen't, then your in big trouble. Never buy a car in the UK with a chassis number that dosen't match the logbook even if it is legit, make sure the logbook matches before you present it to your VRO.

You can also get you VRT cost online at www.ros.ie and selecting the VRT tool.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Depends on the VRT inspector, they will charge you extra for alloys, good stereo, sunroof if its not standard on that model, they have excellent database resources on models and the models specific details which they can draw on and they do check every plate as it is required to combat "ringing".

Depends on the inspector is dead right - my car is loaded with extras and I got charged base price - same thing with my mates car. Just be imaginative and you'll pay standard price... and go to a counter with an oul one, rather than a guy - they don't have a clue what they're looking at.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

I imported recentlyfrom Japan and the guy didn't even come out to look at the car. Mind you , it was an older car and only liable for the minimum level of VRT.

Doh!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 andym

thats what i plan on doing, import from japan...

Blastman, what kind of car did you import? was there much hassle involved importing the car yourself??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

Any contact details of where/who you're dealing with Andy?

Am thinking of doing the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 andym

De Hipster, Its a friend of my cousin thats going to import it but I'll have to do the rest i.e. vrt and stuff. i dont actually know his name. what kind of car are you looking for and I can try and find out if he has any coming in or a rough price if you want??

Andy, it was a CRX and it can be a hassle, yeah. You're better off getting a customs clearing company to do the work for you if you're importing from outside the EU. For VRT, make sure you dot all i's and cross all t's, because they're professional civil servants! ;)

Advertisement