Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Double Chance

Options
  • 06-04-2005 8:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭

Sorry for my ignorance but can someone explain if a tournament is advertised as a 'double chance' what this means?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭BigDragon

Sorry for my ignorance but can someone explain if a tournament is advertised as a 'double chance' what this means?

It's like a one chance rebuy but you dont have to lose all your chips to top-up.

Say you get 2000 chips at the start. After the first hand you can top-up with 2000 more chips at any time up to the break when you must take them if you have not asked for them yet.

Some people top-up at the beginning trying to get a chip advantage straight away whereas some people wait and try and build a stack with their original chips only. Makes for interesting strategy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

Can we tease out the merits of both strategies?

I would have thought that waiting for the top up stage to get your 2nd half of chips, would mean introducing the chips, when they were not as valuable, when compared to blinds, and possible antes?

Obviously there is the safety net of the 2nd chance, losing to an early all-in, other than that I can't see any other reason.

Are there other thoughts on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

As far as I can see there is no legitimate reason to not take them in one go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Happy Camper

Well, I think there's one good reason not to take them immediately:

You're a social player with a -EV whenever you play poker.

Yeh, that's what I thought, no 'advantage' in it all ... you have a safety net, but you are paying a hefty 'premium' for it (decreased real value of chips)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭JuliusFranco

beware of some (Pokerevents.ie) tournies being advertised as "Double Chance". It's not the same having and optional 1 rebuy or Top Up

Julius,

I didn't quite understand...can you explain further?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Ryco

Hmmm

beware of some (Pokerevents.ie) tournies being advertised as "Double Chance". It's not the same having and optional 1 rebuy or Top Up

Misread post as PokerStars....Doh!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

Well, I think there's one good reason not to take them immediately:

You're a social player with a -EV whenever you play poker.

Thats a good reason alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Going by last night, I have -EV when marq is at the table.

AA UTG raised 3BB
    all fold except for marq
    flop 8 3 5 rainbow
    I'm all-in
    marq calls
    34o!!
    hits a 3 on the river....

My head explodes.... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭Marq

it is important to note that it was I who went all in over the top of your flop bet. bad read on my part, although that hand early on and the pocket queens for the rest of your chips a little later set me up to win the tourney.

Marq wrote:
    it is important to note that it was I who went all in over the top of your flop bet. bad read on my part, although that hand early on and the pocket queens for the rest of your chips a little later set me up to win the tourney.

Eight pints and plumbing had nothing to do with it then????

:p:p;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Did you make the final table, BigD, or did Marq take all your chips too? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭Marq

His 67s ran into my Q8o.

Got blinded away with absolute muck hands and "made a play" with 625 chips on the button for Marq's small blind of 200. He had about 12k at the time. I hit the flop, he hit the river!

How could he call!?! I ask you? With Q8o!! The humanity of it!

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

Culchie wrote:
    Julius,

I didn't quite understand...can you explain further?

What Julius means is that traditionally in a double chance event you have an option of taking your second 50% of chips at any time within the first few levels for no additional cost, it's all included in the buy-in.

However as far as I know the pokerevents tournies that are advertised as "Double Chance" are infact run on a buy-in and one further re-buy/top-up basis at an additional cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭JuliusFranco

thanks Davey, that's precisely what i meant! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Ah, yes. My apologies for misrepresenting your strategic plan. Which was ?? :D

Anyway the steam has stop coming out of my ears....congrats on winning with those 'lucky' chips of mine....Good Result.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Edser

Well done Marq, glad my chips helped. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement