Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

it's a crappy day!

Options
  • 15-03-2001 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭

There's no classes today so while most people are getting some well deserved/ not derserved rest I'm in college taking the oppertunity to work in the lab all day without getting kicked out for classes. I ****in hate 4th year frown.giffrown.giffrown.gif

And this has to be the most helful error message ever : Error #106:014

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

I spend Paddy's day of my fourth year stuck in a lab doing my 4th year project while the sun was splitting the rocks outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

It looks like I would be here Paddy's day too but I think the labs are closed. I'll be at home working on a different project instead frown.gif

I've isolated the one line of ecking code that's doing it. It's the exact same line (literally pasted in) as I've used successfully in 7 orther programs. I've double-checked all the variables. I've even checked that I have the right ****ing liabraries included. This is ****ing ridiculous. I'm so ****ed off I'm even saying fe ck! I'll be throwing the computer out the window in a sec mad.gif

argh! - came back from lunch after leaving a virtually empty lab to find it packed! well #$@*!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Blitzkrieger:
    I've isolated the one line of ecking code that's doing it. It's the exact same line (literally pasted in) as I've used successfully in 7 orther programs. I've double-checked all the variables. I've even checked that I have the right ****ing liabraries included. This is ****ing ridiculous. I'm so ****ed off I'm even saying fe ck! I'll be throwing the computer out the window in a sec mad.gif</font>

I know I was supposed to be coding a simple client and server that started communicating with a diffee-helman key exchange project. Two person project and we couldn't get a thing working in college. 7Pm sunday evening kicked out of the labs, with nothing working. Due in monday at 10. We went to my house and in 2 hours had the thing compiling and talking. Pulled an all nighter to get the whole thing finished. But we were using the exact same code on vc++ 5.0 at home that we tried on vc++ 5.0 in college.

Moral of the story, work from home where you know it was setup correctly and some mong hasn't gone and ****ed with all the settings.

db

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Void

VC++ does wierd things sometimes. Make sure you have the latest service pack (100Mb download...). Also, if something isn't compiling, and you can't figure out why, do a "Rebuild all". Sometimes the dependencies between the intermediate files get screwed up or something.

• Advertisement

I managed to get it working by looking at some *cough* reference material *cough* smile.gif

Of course now there's some other line of code not working properly, and again it's the exact same as a program where it was working mad.gif

I know programing a compiler is faily difficult to do (understatement of the century) but I'm actually considering doing one over the summer. At least then I'd know what the **** is happening.

ARGH! ****ING HELL!!! ANOTHER ****ING TYPO THE BLOODY COMPILER DIDN'T PICK UP!!! mad.gif

I'm giving up. The squishy sound from banging my head against the wall is getting annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Excelsior

your error is clearly on line 41 if line 42 throws up "expecting {" and the line consists entirely of "{"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

or before line 41 but leave that wall alone is what I came on to say, vicous (is that right) bapstard.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

VC++ - fills me with fear and loathing. Tried to pick it up in a College course and I could scarely code "Hello World" for the exam.
    Life is so much simplier with Perl & G2.

ffs!!!

line 42: error: expected a "{"

This is line 42 in it's entireity :

{

That's a helpful error message wha?

I know the error was probably on the line b4. But it was a helpful error message wasn't it?

line #

40 : {
    41: switch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Void

Not as helpful as this one smile.gif

Generating Code...
    Compiling...
    ship.cpp
    f:\void\weapon.h(12) : fatal error C1001: INTERNAL COMPILER ERROR
    (compiler file 'msc1.cpp', line 1786)
    Please choose the Technical Support command on the Visual C++
    Help menu, or open the Technical Support help file for more information