Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

11th hour stuff

Options
  • 20-03-2001 9:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭

eek.gif I've only two weeks left to do my project and I'm basically at square one! eek.gif

It's basically just sending and receiving data from an online database. I was doing a proper client and server for it but can't get the f**king thing to connect. mad.gif It's another of those situations where the code is working in another program but doesn't work here.

Cos of all these problems I decided to change to doing a servlet. I reckon I can get this done in time but, and it's a big but, I can't get the flipping development environment working. Basically using the JDK1.2.1(or something like that) and the JSDK2.0 but it just won't compile. I've tried JBuilder3 University edition (free) but that's frankly a bit crap and it doesn't have the proper libraries either.

Has anybody worked with servlets on a home machine before? What exactly do I need to get it running?

I've downloaded the Java2 SDK (beta 3 or something) so I'm hoping that that will work, but this late in the day I'm not trusting anything. frown.gif

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭yossarin

I'm guessing that you havn't set your classpaths. you have to get the compiler to see the .jar files that came with the jsdk, also, servelt class files HAVE to be placed in ../web-inf/servlets. also you could just place these jar's in the ext folder in your compiler, but thats just lazy.

you sound like you have the right development enviroment.
    DON'T get tomcat (jsdk2.1+a bit) - its annoying and unnecessary

what OS are you developing in ?

see the readme in the JSDK2.0 folder for info on setting classpaths.
    get back here if that doesn't work.

servelts are a bit annoying to set up, but rewarding and fun after that.

ps dont worry too much about it - i just had a project involving servelts + got the whole thing done in about a week (and it was big)

yeah that sounds like it smile.gif

I have jsdk2.1
    it has the right jars. how do you feel about a quick email ? the jars alone are 112 K and the whole thing (zipped) is 358 K

PS it's free for students moderators !

pps alternativly i could put it somewhere for a while + you could get it, if you value your privacy.

[This message has been edited by yossarin (edited 20-03-2001).]

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

That'd be great thanks smile.gif

I think there used to be some problem with keeping my email viewable once upon a time, but you should have it from our IAR days (blitzkrieger@esatclear.ie)

there you go. The next part will be the hilarious fun of declaring your DB as a data source then accessing it.

...can you say ODBC + JDBC?
    nah, it's not that bad...

wink.gif

• Advertisement

I set the path like it said in the readme and copied the .jar to the ext folder but no joy. The thing is, the book I'm using said to copy servlet.jar but the only .jar I could find was jsdk.jar

I'm thinking that's the problem.

I've got an example of a program accessing a DB so I should be alright with that smile.gif

(says me after all the problems I've been having lately rolleyes.gif )

Advertisement