Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metal genres

Options
  • 06-04-2005 9:55am
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Can we sticky a list of metal types and make a rule whereby you have to have a vote to have a new one added and if its not voted up you simply cant use it any posts.

removing brain metal and no-brainer metal . . . WTF???/

thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Can we just abandon genres altogether? Talk about pointless categorisation. I can't think of any band who've rigidly stuck to the confines of one particular little clique for an entire career, which makes this sort of categorisation redundant.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

well look all im gettting at is this idea of people just making up these completely random new ones.
    As much as you Doctor J are going to whinge people are going to use these genre titles so im saying use ones that make sense that people can talk about properly.
    not euro metal or the likes.

OK then, name a genre a define it in words without using any bands as references.

Although you are now just acting the idiot i will humour you,
    You KNOW full well that genre titles are going to be used.

Thrash metal -
    fast beat generally with a rolling double bass,
    where the guitars are both melodic and fast paced,
    The singers actually sing but screaming is an option.

now thats all i've got but please if you want to keeping acting like a 4 year old go ahead ill keep making my same points.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

That's funny :)

• Advertisement

Ahhhh calm down, no need to start flaming like a cretin, if you can't discuss this without resorting to name calling you shouldn't post at all.

You say genres will be used, I can't disagree but my point is the stupidity of categorisation and how bands seldom restrict themselves to one genre as defined in the way you did there.

To make a point, how you described thrash could apply to the likes of Helloween just as much as it could apply to Sacred Reich, yet these bands sound nothing at all like each other. So one could easily argue that it is a redundant categorisation, yes? Therefore, if a category doesn't describe the music, what is the point of the category?

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭toffo

Have to agree with the Doc here, pointless putting metal into categories when so many bands fuse different styles.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Ah yes I can just see myself consulting the genre sticky every time I need to describe a band,

That would DEFINITELY happen! this is the best idea ever! you should be boards president!

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Drums

I hate genres.
    I especially hate journalists who give bands their own genre.

Take HIM for example.... One question... WHAT THE HELL IS LOVE METAL?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Bazz

Metal Hammer invents a completely new genre every month to coinside with the cover feature.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I think the notion of a Genre just hints as to what a band would sound like, sort of as a guideline, and not to be taken any more seriously.

Drums wrote:
    I hate genres.
    I especially hate journalists who give bands their own genre.

look im not saying i like genres,
    im not saying they are flawless in anyway,
    i am making the point that like you said people just randomly making up new ones should be outlawed.

Advertisement