Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PCI Graphics Card

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

No pci card will run HL2 etc at a playable quality. I had an AGP 9200 n it was fairly slow, could play farcry at med/low settings at 800x600 only. Spend ur money upgrading ur pc to agp/PciE

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

unklerosco wrote:
    No pci card will run HL2 etc at a playable quality. I had an AGP 9200 n it was fairly slow, could play farcry at med/low settings at 800x600 only. Spend ur money upgrading ur pc to agp/PciE

:( any idea if it wud play battlefield ok?
    I dont really have the money to go upgrading my machine at the mo and I wud like to just get a graphics card for the time being that wil let me play games like Battlefield etc..

Cheers for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

What pc have u got??? cpu/ram etc...

Have a P4 2.4GHz, 128kb cache. 512mb ram (soon to be 1024)

Thats why I was thinking if I got a new graphics card, it might work.
    Cheers,

zefer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Do you not have an AGP connector?

• Advertisement

AGP connector? Do you mean an AGP port on my machine? If so, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

I doubt any PCI card will run BF or HL2 at any decent, playable resolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

That 9200 might be ok for battlefield. It's not that stressful a game. Don't get the 5200. It's a complete rip off.

My advice is get yourself a new mobo that is compatable with your current cpu and has an agp slot. Then get a 9600pro or 9800pro/6600gt.

Make sure the new mobo is compatable with the old case. Make sure your psu can handle the higher load.

BloodBath

• Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

zefer wrote:
    512mb ram (soon to be 1024)

Hold on now - reality check!!

Why waste money on a rig that is crap for gaming?

You'd be better off buying a second hand mobo (with AGP) and a second hand last generation mid range card (9600pro for €50, 9600xt for €70 or 9800pro for €100). This will cost you from about €100 and would be a substantial improvement

Whenever you're into the money again, get more ram

Edit: cross-post there, Bloodbath :)

Thanks for your help all.

Might do as you say and get a 2nd hand mobo. I know of komplett etc for new hardware, any good websites for 2nd hand hardware?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

zefer wrote:
    any good websites for 2nd hand hardware?

I find this pretty good ;)

Advertisement