Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a counsellor in UCD?

Options
  • 06-04-2005 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know what is the story is with a counseling service in UCD?

How much it costs, where to find out about it etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

there is one available through the student centre, I believe youcan get 6 free sessions, but it prob requires some kind of referral through student advisors/doctors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Fergalscully

You don't need a referal just turn up at the desk or phone 3143/3133/3134 to arrange an appointment where you will be assessed and then booked in for counselling. Approx 4 week waiting time for this service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭elbee

There are also student advisors for every faculty, and I've never heard a bad word said about any of them. Nor about any SU counsellors, for that matter.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Yeah the student advisers are quite approachable, they'd probably be able to help you themselves or else be able to refer you quickly. http://www.ucd.ie/advisers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

If you can't get a counsellor definitely go try to see a student adviser. I have found them extremely approachable and friendly people who give alot of time to their students. Also Shane Hennely the SU welfare officer is sound bloke and is another person to talk to if you have some worries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭HappyCrackHead

I dont mind telling people, with my diminishing anonymitiy, that i sought the aid of a student counsilor (note spelling). She was about as much use as semen for toothpaste. But, that said other people might have more luck.

Basically the way it works is, u got to the Student centre, head up to student health services, queue (coz god knows they only have 2 receptionists for 22,000 students and theres usually only one on duty) then tell em u wanna see a shrink or counsellor. They'll ask u if its an emergency, (like ur gonna top urself after grabbing a sandwich in the grind) if u say yes u dont have to wait 3 weeks for an appointment (which if you were gonna top yourself isnt very helpful).

What i found was, i was asked if it was an emergency and i was like... uh no? and in hindsight yes it was an emergency i was quite close to "topping myself". not that the counsellor helped, i worked through my issues myself and and im a stronger person for it. my method is probably only suited to my wacky crackheaded personallity so dont trust me.

Anyway after that tangent the second paragraph is the one u need. if its something serious, like ur really depress, self mutilation, attempted suicide, actual suicide (seek a priest or mortition [ps if that sounds rather tasteless tis coz ive been through the mill and i can laugh about it, been there done that scars to prove it, just ask me]) or really anythin urgent.

As i said, the receptionists nice as they are, dont really tell you what an emergency entails, i actually said "i dunno if its an emergency" which if i had been her would have taken that as a yes. Drama queens(kings) dont usually question the neccesity for psychiatric help.

Anyway so long. Just do what i said and u'll be sorted. Last word: if ur a guy, ask for the guy, if ur a girl ask for the female, theres two, one, the one i got is definitly ****e.

Advertisement