Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Got SpeedTrapped this morning (I think)

Options
  • 06-04-2005 10:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭

Came off the M50 on to the westbound N4 and there was a mobile speed camera in a white transit which was parked on the bridge there at Liffey Valley.
    I was probably doing 50 or so in a 40 mile zone (i know I haven't converted over yet), on a four lane carriage way. Shooting fish in a barrel or what?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

PH01 wrote:
    Came off the M50 on to the westbound N4 and there was a mobile speed camera in a white transit which was parked on the bridge there at Liffey Valley.
    I was probably doing 50 or so in a 40 mile zone (i know I haven't converted over yet), on a four lane carriage way. Shooting fish in a barrel or what?
    worse, it's now a 37mph Zone after the conversion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

The worst I saw was the new bypass in Youghal in Cork, you come up this big hill and just at the top as you start to go downhill again he's sitting there picking people off.

It's quite difficult there to keep an eye on your speedo as the lanes merge and you start to go downhill.

I was caught once at the end of a dual carriageway where it goes from 60 to 30 with about 500m left to the round about. The cops were sitting in the bushes just picking people off like flies.

I'm totally in favor of speed cameras if it's implemented properly. They should have static speed cameras at black spots or other dangerous areas that are in plain view. People will slow down to avoid getting a ticket thus making the road safer.

Gatso's or cops hiding in the bushes aren't making the roads safer at all, they're purely about making money. Why do you think you see more towards the end of each month?

A lot needs to be done to make the roads in Ireland safer, educating people from a young age for a start should help, speed cameras in plain view on dangerous roads, appropriate speed limits.
    Hiding in bushes or placing cameras in spots that are perfectly safe for going a few mph over the limit is just racketeering.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

PH01 wrote:
    Shooting fish in a barrel or what?

Yup, sorry you were caught. All that talk about only targeting dangerous roads etc. is just BS tbh :(

I always stick the cruise control to 60km/h there as gatso vans and laser guns are there very regularly. People mock me for that speed, which is pretty ridiculous, and I'm usually the slowest car (off-peak) at that speed, but I wouldn't like to be a fish...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

You *may* have gotten away with depending on how much your speedometer overreads by and how much of a threshold there is with the Gatso vans. Only time will tell. Good luck :)

BrianD3

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Well given the plentiful catch, does anybody know the frequency at which these things can catch people? There's 3 lanes with cars flying by in each, can it catch them all or does the guy in the back have to pick out targets, ie aim at an individual car to catch their speed? Also, if you're in the right hand lane, what's the likelyhood of the cars in the other lanes obstructing the view of your reg plate?

• Advertisement
Advertisement