Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sunderland virtually gaurantee promotion

• 06-04-2005 10:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

Beat Wigan away 1-0 last night gap between them is now 8 points, Ipswich 2nd 5 points behind Sunderland with 5 to play.

1  	Sunderland  	41  	33  	84
    2 	Ipswich 	41 	27 	79
    3 	Wigan 	41 	38 	76
    4 	Preston 	41 	8 	68
    5 	Reading 	41 	10 	64
    6 	Derby 	40 	9 	64
    7 	West Ham 	40 	6 	62
    8 	Sheff Utd 	40 	4 	62

For more Irish players in PL which teams best suit Ireland to go up. Playoffs look ropey Only Wigan and maybe Preston sure of being in them.

kdjac

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

I want Sunderland and Wigan to go up....and Ipswich in playoffs....>Wigan have Kavanagh in midfield and would like to see him in PL....

Also Sunderland have Thorton, Breen, Healy and Eliott and would be great to see them in PL.....Breen Im not really sure will be much of an advantage but could be good as backup for Republic......Thorton looks an excellant player but needs more First Team action...played well the season they got relagated, can only help his progession.....

Healy...heres hoping he recovers from last break in time for pre-season and can get a good run....I can see this player taking over from Keane....I like hi gib....lol....anyone have news on when he is due back? was checking Sunderland site a few weeks ago and just said he was receovering from latest leg break

Eliott.....can only do him good playing against PL defences....has shown in international games could have what it takes to play at the top level......can only help his progress again

Also Big Mick is sure to buy some more of his old boys from the Republic days and alot of talk of Morrison going on loan for the season because they have no money....maybe Morrison and Eliott up front with Steward on bench.....fingers crossed

Not sure if Ipswich have any Irish.....not in first team anyway buyt maybe in reserves? anyway I like the way they play.....good passing team....but Bolton and so on will kick them back into the Championship after one season

I can only see Sunderland staying up.....Wigan to get up....spend a fortune....get relagated and never see them again!!

If not Ipswich/Wigan in playoffs then Shef Utd(this is killing me to say it...Shef Wed all the way) but in terms of Irish players this would be best.....Quinn is class midfield(bast**ds robbed him off Wed) and also have Geary who is a good right back but we have plenty of cover there(again robbed from the Wednesday).....they also have Quinns younger bro.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Sunderland got Deane of Leeds assume it was a "ensure we get out of Div 1" transfer. Doubt he be there next season. They still have Kyle to come back one. day, Stewart scored last night and Elliot came on for him with a few minutes to go. Have they any money to spend?

Wigan losing last night was bad in that usually the team that burns up the league for 35 games usually burns out and ends up in playoffs where the team who crept in and are on form win.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

KdjaC wrote:
    Sunderland got Deane of Leeds assume it was a "ensure we get out of Div 1" transfer. Doubt he be there next season. They still have Kyle to come back one. day, Stewart scored last night and Elliot came on for him with a few minutes to go. Have they any money to spend?

Wigan losing last night was bad in that usually the team that burns up the league for 35 games usually burns out and ends up in playoffs where the team who crept in and are on form win.

kdjac

According to reports Sunderland still have alot to payoff from the time they got relagated so if they get promoted they wont have money to spend but it will clear there depts....I just think that they have more of the sort of player capable of staying in PL...with the likes of Breen/Stewart who have been there done that.....

If Kyle comes back then it will be Kyle/someone they get in along with either Eliott/Stewart upfront.....McCarthy like the big un/little un combination......

Yeah Wigan done the same last season and lost out on playoff position on last day to Crystal Palace wasnt it? I bet they will start feeling the pressure again and wont get back into automatic position.....so at least playoffs for them but they have spent alot of money!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

its a mick mccarthy team so they are bound to f**k it up at the last hurdle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Dewey

I will be delighted for mick is Sunderland go up. he has done a great job and got some good yong players there. Dont forget Sunderland also have Liam Larence(sp) who has declared himself for ireland so that is 5 irish players. Ipswich dont have any irish players as far as i know so i hope its Wigan who gets second spot. It will be such a turn around for Kavangh. In international wilderness a few years ago and in Division 2, now on the brink of the Premiership and Captained his country in a friendly.

I can't wait for Man United v. Sunderland. i bet when Keane is going off after the match he will do a sliding tackle on Mick.....lol......but i wouldnt put it past roy boy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Kyle hits five on reserves return
    Kevin Kyle
    Kyle has barely played this season because of injury
    Sunderland striker Kevin Kyle made an emphatic return after injury on Wednesday, bagging five goals in the reserves' 7-5 win over Aston Villa.

The Scottish international striker has started just five games this season because of a hip injury.

But the 23-year-old target man is now back in contention to bolster the Black Cats' promotion push.

Kyle will be also be vying for a place with Brian Deane, signed from Leeds on transfer deadline day.

Michael Bridges scored Sunderland's other two goals in their amazing win in Durham.

But both Bridges and Kyle are behind he current front pairing of Stephen Elliott and Marcus Stewart.

////Sunderland could break the 100 point mark.

kdjac

Advertisement