Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Broadband Plus Question

• 06-04-2005 10:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

Hi
    I have Eurcom Broadband plus at home and it was worked pretty fine until this weekend. Now each evening at about 8pm I keep losing DSL Sync every 8 to 10 seconds so it just can't be used! I phoned support and they initially said that there was a lot of work on the network this weekend as it was being upgraded. Then it happned again the next night and again last night. It works fine during the day. Phoned support again and they said that if DSL Sync is dropping, I may have a faulty cable or filter which makes no sense if it's working perfectly every day from 9am to 8pm!

Has anyone had a similar problem?

I am on the Dunshaughlin exchange.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 moloneyg

Hi the DSL stats will show you what kind of connection you have,

can you repost the DSL stats and if the Attenuation vals are low that could cause issues,

If you have the netpoia then telenet to 192.168.1.254 ( or whatever) and type:

show dsl

post back reply, I diagnose the results.

Gerry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

Also, if you know how, try switching from PPPoE to PPPoA (PPP over ATM)
    If its supported on that exchange, you might just find a more stable service.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

im on the Dunshaughlin exchange with eircom broadband and everything is going very smoothly with the exception of some ping spiking last monday but its been very smooth ever since, it could well be your cables or filters as the exchange seems fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭julius

High Attenuations(Resistance) and low SNR(Low Signal High Noise) would be bad!!!

Honestly its probable peak time in your area at that time of day and you are probable experiencing a choke in the capabilities of your exchange.
    Its the same as the ights sometimes dimming between the breaks of soaps at night when people turn on their kittles for tea/coffee.

If it persists for another week....then call up tech support and demand they fix it as you are paying for an "always on" service which you are not currently receiving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 senzate

Hi Gonzo,

Good to see someone in Dunshaughlin is having a smooth upgrade! :)

The inly issue I have with cables/filters etc is why would there be a problem with them when the broadband works perfectly finw all day until about 8pm and THEN just starts dropping.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭I am MAN

senzate wrote:
    Hi Gonzo,

Good to see someone in Dunshaughlin is having a smooth upgrade! :)

The inly issue I have with cables/filters etc is why would there be a problem with them when the broadband works perfectly finw all day until about 8pm and THEN just starts dropping.

Losing connection like that is always internal.
    Most likely some appliance within your house.

When I Telnet and then show dls I get the following :
    Downstream Upstream
    SNR Margin 9.12 27.0 dB
    Line Attenuation 29.11 17.0 dB
    Data Rate 2048 128
    FEC Errors 0 0
    CRC Errors 0 15

Is any of that good or bad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

at 7'oclock your line is perfect and connected at 2MBps, however your upload appears to have had a number of CRC errors
    Try the same around 9, or whenever you are losing sync.

Ok your SNR for download is very low and is causing your problems

Your SNR Upstream is fine
    your line Attenation is excellent

and the CRC errors are being caused by the SNR value being low, basically the higher the figure the better as this is the strength of the signal vrs noise, the larger the figure means the stronger the signal, and less noise in the background, some articles below explain further.

Do you know your values before the changeover, you should ask what has happened since the changeover, I would recommend you ring eircom and complain of the deteriation in line quality.

Hope this helps

read the artical here:

http://www.lulworth-online.co.uk/technical/ADSLKnowledgebase.htm

and this extract from:
    http://whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=313495&p=-1

Noise Margin (AKA Signal to Noise Margin or Signal to Noise Ratio)
    Relative strength of the DSL signal to Noise ratio. 6dB is the lowest dB manufactures specify for modem to be able to synch. In some instances interleaving can help raise the noise margin to an acceptable level. The higher the number the better for this measurement.
    6dB or below is bad and will experience no synch or intermittent synch problems
    7dB-10dB is fair but does not leave much room for variances in conditions
    11dB-20dB is good with no synch problems
    20dB-28dB is excellent
    29dB or above is outstanding

Line Attenuation
    Measure of how much the signal has degraded between the DSLAM and the modem. Maximum signal loss recommendation is usually about 60dB. The lower the dB the better for this measurement.
    20dB and below is outstanding
    20dB-30dB is excellent
    30dB-40dB is very good
    40dB-50dB is good
    50dB-60dB is poor and may experience connectivity issues
    60dB or above is bad and will experience connectivity issues

Output Power
    How much power modem (upstream) or DSLAM (downstream) is using. Maximum recommended is about 15dB. The lower the power the better for this measurement.

Well, Eircom bradband FINALLY got back to me about my problem to say tha, as far as they were concerned, there was nothing wrong and told me to ring Eircom 1901 and see if there was any fault on the line. (Strange, I sorta thought that would be part of what they would do to sort a problem).

They could not understand what was happening but , as a test, they pulled back the DSL from 2mb to 1mb and there was no interruption in DSL sync at all. They can't understand why it is happening. My SNR margin has increased from 9 to 12 so that's in the right direction.

But I now only have a iMB line . Am I being selfish now???

• Advertisement

Your line quality is not good enough to hold a 2MB connection, see the stats I posted they say that with a 2MB line you are in trouble, and 1MB line you are boarderline.

Sorry to say this,

Gerry

Thanks for that Gerry.

Does that mean that I'm stuck with the line I have or can I compain to Eircom to have it improved?

Pete

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I just tried this telnet out and heres the results,is this ok?

SNR Margin: 30.80 28.00 dB
    Line Attenuation: 18.32 13.00 dB
    Output Power: 19.51 11.97 dB
    Errored Seconds: 0 0
    Loss of Signal: 0 0
    Loss of Frame: 0 0
    CRC Errors: 18 2
    Data Rate: 2048 128

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

Looks like im in the green :-)
                            Downstream  Upstream
                            ----------  ----------
    SNR Margin:                  38.26       26.00 dB
    Line Attenuation:           14.16       12.00 dB
    Output Power:               19.51       11.97 dB
    Errored Seconds:            0           0
    Loss of Signal:               0           0
    Loss of Frame:               0           0
    CRC Errors:                    0           1
    Data Rate:                    1024         128

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭MadKevo

While I concur that the noise margins are a bit tight for a reliable service, the timing of the loss of sync really piqued my interest - I'm almost convinced now that's you [senzate] probably have a neighbour who's just bought either a dimmer night light or a baby monitor which is using the house electric wiring rather than radio.
    Any neighbours with a new baby or young children?
    If this is the case the you might only need to put a mains filter on your DSL modem power supply - it would be great if it were that easy!
    Anyhow, I think you should ask your immedaite neighbours if they are switching something on at 8pm every night and go from there!
    Hope this helps.
    Kev.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

heres mine, i think they look ok, my SNR margin downstream looks a bit low tho.

ADSL Line State: Up
    ADSL Startup Attempts: 2
    ADSL Modulation: DMT
    Datapump Version: 3.28
    Downstream Upstream

SNR Margin: 14.98 29. 0 dB
    Line Attenuation: 35.95 20. 0 dB
    FEC Errors: 0 0
    CRC Errors: 0 9

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Muineach

I'm also on the Dunshaughlin exchange and had lots of problems with it yesterday, today it seems ok. I ran the show dsl and heres my results:

Cayman-3000/12461148> show dsl

ADSL Startup Attempts: 2
    Datapump Version: 3.28

Downstream Upstream

SNR Margin: 28.82 28. 0 dB
    Line Attenuation: 28.36 17. 0 dB
    FEC Errors: 0 0
    CRC Errors: 0 0

These values havent changed over the last few weeks, the problems I was having was with DNS, I was connected but any host name was not resolving to IP, but if I entered an IP from the internet it would work ok.
    Anyway it seems to be fine now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Muineach

famouse last words, on Sunday it was bad again so I didnt get to post a reply, I'm in work now so I'm not sure if its fixed yet.... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

Any ideas if mine is normal?
    My current DL speed is about 2kps :(

Netopia-3000/16421816> show dsl

ADSL Startup Attempts: 1
    Datapump Version: 3.38.2

Downstream Upstream

SNR Margin: 1.07 25.00 dB
    Line Attenuation: 53.96 31.00 dB
    Output Power: 19.45 11.97 dB