Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Philosophy of Mind

• 06-04-2005 11:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me exactly what the philosophy of mind is? I've tried reading some of Ryle's "The Concept of Mind", but it didn't go too well, and I'm now running low on time, and seriously need to know what it's about... Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

You got an essay due in shortly or something? ;)

It's not possible to tell you what 'Philosophy of Mind' is because there are many different philosophies of mind. Ryle's concept - logical behaviouralism - is just one point of view.

The only general definition I can imagine is this: to answer the great questions philosophers have approached them from different angles throughout history, from natural philosophy to transcendental aesthetics to phenomenology etc.; philosophy of mind is yet another of these trends in which philosophers have focused on the mind as a way to answer these burning questions - the Mind has been generally regarded as the crossover point of many if not all these questions or as a key entry point to answering these questions.

Capiche?

So I'd say crack open the books, photocopy like crazy, make cramming notes, find the Cambridge (maybe Oxford) Dictionary of the Philosophy of Mind and get working. Not long to go to the exams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭solo1

Cambridge Dictionary of the Philosophy of Mind
    I have that book! Rock on!

Although, on a personal note, I'm not sure if I'm any wiser having read large chunks of it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement