Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles

• 06-04-2005 11:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭

Yay, they still show this on Network 2 around 7 a.m.! Happened to come across it yesterday morning.

Ya know something - April O'Neill was a talented wan. Not only was she a reporter, but she helped battle against the dark forces of Shreddar and Krang, AND! In yesterday's episode, she needed to get to the top of a building, so she just jumped into a random helicopter and flew it!

(It was the episode where Leonardo thinks he is a muskateer)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I'll have to set the Sky+ to record it some morning.

I'd love to see Krang again.... I sure have missed the little fella...

oh.. and Baxter Stockman was great as well...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

April was cool, and she was sorta sexy in that yellow jump-suit thingy that she wore. Id love to see Rock-Steady and Bebop again!

Who was Baxter Stockman I vaguely remember the name, just cant picture him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

baxter_stockman_cartoon.gif

Baxter, god i loved that cartoon when i was a kid, still been on Sky and Jetix.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Were they Ninja Turtles or Hero Turtles?

Ninja in US changed to Hero over here for some PC reason.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭TCamen

As far as I can remember -- there was the whole issue in the UK of promoting 'ninja' fighting with the cartoon, so the name was changed to 'hero' to appease the complainers on this side of the Atlantic. The movies and later cartoons were 'ninja' I *think*

Used to have the Baxter Stockman action figure -- he had a fly swat that had a small turtle mashed on it hehe :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Clinical Waste

Ninja Turtles when I was growing up. (btw the original comics were much darker before the TV series.)
    I think it was changed to Hero turtles to placate the likes of the American Family Association's "Concerned Mothers of America"

The UK title for this game (as well as both the comics and cartoon series), "Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles", replaced the original 'ninja' of the title with the less threatening "Hero". This is because the Conservative British government of the time wouldn't allow ANY 'children's product' to include the word 'ninja' at any point during its content, arguing that to do so would encourage the children of this fine country to use violence against each other.

It was always 'ninja' in the US. It was only ever changed in the UK and obviously, Ireland by association.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

then even later michalangelo's (sp?) weapon changed to rope(?!) because several little tits got home-made nunchuks and ended up injuring themselves.

then even later michalangelo's (sp?) weapon changed to rope(?!) because several little tits got home-made nunchuks and ended up injuring themselves.

I remember having nunchucks at one stage in the 80s -- they weren't much fun, but they were a good weapon, they hurt like hell, even with foam padding on the bars :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭dearg_doom

Heroes in a half shell - TURTLE POWER!

YES this was one of those phenomena that just don'thappen these days, I mean EVERYONE had a Turtles t-shirt, EVERYONE ate apple pizza(or green whatever), EVERYONE saved up there pocket money to buy a Turtle at the life-savings-draining-price of 4.99pounds, EVERYONE had a Turtles pencil-case/ruler/green pen!

They even had a cool arcade game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Yea in later eps Michaelangelo's weapon was changed to the grappling hook, it was done really bad though cause he used to get out the nunchucks, but then when the scene would cut back the grappling hook would be in his hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

A friend of mine has a proper pair of nunchucks. I was so scared when I saw him messing with them, they are scary looking things! :eek:

P.S.
    The turtles rock! I remember that Baxtar dude! Ahhh ... cartoons back in the day were so cool. Now kids have the likes of Barney and Pokemon to look at (how sad!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

Kowabunga!

_1660334_heroturtles300.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭samo

dearg_doom wrote:
    Heroes in a half shell - TURTLE POWER!

YES this was one of those phenomena that just don'thappen these days, I mean EVERYONE had a Turtles t-shirt, EVERYONE ate apple pizza(or green whatever), EVERYONE saved up there pocket money to buy a Turtle at the life-savings-draining-price of 4.99pounds, EVERYONE had a Turtles pencil-case/ruler/green pen!

They even had a cool arcade game!

My 3 year old is MAD into the turtles as its on jetix in Sky, remember it so clearly watching it as a kid all those years back on the saturday morning shows like Going live on BBC1.

They are starting all this turtles stuff up again, Turtle T-shirts in Dunnes and a whole turtles section in smyths. Its a bit wierd actually, its one thing something like tom and jerry being watched by different generations but you really would expect the Ninja Turtles to be loved by kids 15 years on and still going strong!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭DS

The new one is on rte during the day aswell sometimes. It's crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭Brock

yeah its pants i am quite surprised nobody has mention casey jones yet what a character he was.

The series was actually made in Dublin.

And also, I just was doing a bit of searching and even came across this synopsis for episode 150.
    The Irish Jig Is Up

Written by: John Fox

MWS #9059-057

SYNOPSIS

Krang and Shredder decide to use Ireland as their base for the Technodrome. With a device called the Rainbow Trans-Charmer, the villains intend to turn harmless little creatures like sheep and rabbits into slavering beasts. The Turtles and Splinter, vacationing in Ireland, are attacked by the monster-sheep and track Shredder, Bebop and Rocksteady to the Dublin Zoo, where they are transforming the animals. April, who is also in Ireland, gets trapped by the now-fierce animals in the petting zoo, and is rescued by the Turtles. Krang decides to pull the castle (where the Turtles are staying) up through the Dimensional portal. But Michaelangelo gets hit by the transformer and turns into an Arnold Schwarzenegger of a turtle and defeats Shredder, using his great strength to pull the castle down to Earth, overloading Krang's portal generator.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

See they don't just make quality show like that anymore.

The Irish Jig episode kicks ass!! It's brilliant :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

The series was actually made in Dublin.

And also, I just was doing a bit of searching and even came across this synopsis for episode 150.

you have to be taking the piss?

but were you serious about the series being made in dublin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭neGev

I'm actually looking at the Irish Jig Is Up right at this very minute believe it or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Stalfos

Also, was there really 150 different episodes? I'll bet those include the new ones as well which i dont like.
    I dont think their was more than a few series

It was Murakami-Wolf-Swenson Film Productions Inc. that made it. They were based in Dublin.

I think it was just voice acting that was done in the US.

And the series ran from 1987 - 1996 with 193 episodes in total.

It was the longest running cartoon there for a while, the Simpsons over took it 2 years after it went off the air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Nine seasons of the orignal show (1987 - 1996). Longest running cartoon ever at the time - beaten three years later by The Simpsons.

IMDB has more info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

The turtles are the best , when i was working up in wexford , I GOT UP EARLY TO WATCH THEM EVERY MORNING! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

You guys have answered a question that puzzled me for years, how come they were the Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles on Sky and BBC, yet the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on RTÉ and the movies. The fact everyone calls them the hero turtles shows we all watched them on Sky.....

Another question, how come the tv show Lois and Clark:The New Adventures of Superman, was simply known as The New Adventures of Superman on the BBC. Who could be offended by the title "Lois and Clark"?????

The animation place used be on the the quays down beside the bus depot facing the entrance to Pheonix park.

kdjac

You guys have answered a question that puzzled me for years, how come they were the Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles on Sky and BBC, yet the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on RTÉ and the movies. The fact everyone calls them the hero turtles shows we all watched them on Sky.....

Another question, how come the tv show Lois and Clark:The New Adventures of Superman, was simply known as The New Adventures of Superman on the BBC. Who could be offended by the title "Lois and Clark"?????
    I'm pretty sure it was Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles on RTÉ as well. Hero Tutrles is what they're showing each morning at the moment as well.

As for Louis and Clark... I think it was just a matter of abbreviating a needlessly long title. Also, they may have felt that people aren't as familiar with the Superman mythos over here as they are in the US. It's probably the same reason that E4 list Smallville as Superman: The Early Years.

Batman Beyond was also renamed Batman of the Future... which I always thought was really lame...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

It was deffo Ninja Turtles when it was on the Den, a huge mystery for us 8 year olds at the time!

Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles was always the name for the cartoon.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was the name for the movies (never really liked them much, much preferred the cartoon! :D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭DS

I just read there that the new (crap) cartoon is actually more loyal to the original comic strips. Characters like Krang, Beebop and Rocksteady were invented by the guys who did the original cartoon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭marshmallow

DS wrote:
    I just read there that the new (crap) cartoon is actually more loyal to the original comic strips. Characters like Krang, Beebop and Rocksteady were invented by the guys who did the original cartoon.

tear.... :(
    the old cartoon was WAY better than the new crappy version! i even have it on video! (somewhere.... :rolleyes: )

Advertisement