Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom have me on the wrong package

• 06-04-2005 12:04pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭

I'm on Eircom Home Plus (according to them at least), but according to my router i'm connected at 3072 down and 256 up. Before the recent upgrade i had 1024 down and 256 up.

This lead me to believe i'm on the wrong package (and have been for ages), my assumption is that i'm on Business Plus, but i'm being charged for Home Plus and i appear as being on Home Plus in their database.

Since i mostly use my connection for gaming rather than downloading stuff, the download speed and upload speed isn't really an issue for me, but i read some chart on the ireland offline website which said Business Plus has interleaving on high and Home Plus has it on low. My pings to eircom are about 50ms, which result in ingame pings on UK servers of about 90 or 100.

This has been an issue for me for quite some time now, and i only recently realised i was on the wrong package. I spoke to eircom's technical support who confirmed that i was on Business plus, and told me to contact sales in order to downgrade to Home plus. When i got through to Sales they told me i was on Home Plus. I ensured them they had to be wrong but they insisted i speak to technical support. It seems to be a case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing with eircom. Anyway, eventually i got in touch with some supervisor who sounded helpful and he told me i'd be "regraded" overnight. 2 days on now and still no joy.

What exactly is the procedure involved in "regrading" (or downgrading) someone? The technical support guys said someone would have to be sent to the exchange, whereas a sales supervisor told me that something just had to be changed in their system, so he was emailing tech support. It all sounds like a big joke to me, they don't seem to know what they are doing. My biggest fear right now is that they'll simply limit my connection, rather than actually downgrading/regrading me to Home Plus, and that my ping will still be high. They don't guarentee ping times so in that case i don't really have a leg to stand on if it doesn't result in lower ping?

Anyway i am not really asking for any advise in particular, just having a bit of a rant. Has anyone else had similar issues?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

Well I was sort of in the opposite situation as you. I was trying to upgrade to the bus plus from home plus. I called to upgrade and was told would be 10 working days. After 2 weeks I was still on 512k so I rang them back, upgrade showed in the system for for some unknown reason it wasnt done, got the standard answer that they would look into it bla bla bla.

After 4 weeks of this BS and countless calls to them I logged a complaint via the eircom.com website.

That same day i got an email back from a sound fella from the dsl escalations dept. 1 day later he got it all sorted for me.

So my advise is to log a complaint via the eircom site.

☀️ 7.6kWp ⚡3.4kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭julius

Dont say a word!!!

You never know, in the future you may wish you had kept your 3mbit line with unlimited downloads!!!

AFAIK downgrading is simply inputting new data into their database which will then change your account/billing as well as the technical side of things.

Leave as is because you are saving about €50 a month!!!
    If they ever get back to you looking for the monies owed, just play dumb!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

BTW your pings will drop with the downgrade, as mine went up with the upgrade beacuse of the interleaving.

pings to boards.ie were 30ms with home+

pings now to boards.ie now 60ms with bus+

Im a stock trader and the larger download/upload was more of an issue for me than the pings.

I was pulling so much data that the 512k connection just wasnt enough, but the extra 30-50ns pings were unnoticable.

☀️ 7.6kWp ⚡3.4kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

To be honest I wouldn't say a word..screw the pings your getting uncapped DSL and their to stupid to realise that your on the wrong package

• Closed Accounts Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Anarchist

Pings are important to gamesplayers.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Soldie

Thanks for the tips guys, but as i said before, i'm not really a big downloader so the extra download speed isn't really that big a deal to me. Regarding that, i'm getting about 230kb/sec speeds (which should be achievable with 2mbit if i'm not mistaken) with the 3mbit line.

It also seems as though i still have a download cap, at least when i log into the eircom.net broadband status thingy it shows how much i've downloaded out of 12gig or something (forget the exact amount).

The ping means more to me than the download speed, so ideally this is what i want to get fixed, even though it may seem stupid to many of you. I'm just hoping this is resolved shortly and that they do it correctly, ie. not just limiting my download speeds, but actually transferring package completley. I'm planning on giving them a call today and i'll see how it goes, i can't see how it can have taken this long already if it's only a matter of inputting some new info into their database, my guess is they put it on the long finger.

Advertisement