Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone gone Windows XP 64 bit yet too?

Options
  • 06-04-2005 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65,314 ✭✭✭✭
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I've built my new rig yesterday (S939 AMD64 3500, 2GB Ram), so I thought I might as well go 64 bit XP straight away

Early days yet, but it looks very promising. Haven't installed much but already the pc feels like a scorcher :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

I have a 20gig partition set asside for it just have to get round to installing it some time.
    1 quesion about it tho will 32bit applications still run? Will thay be less stable?

Jozi

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Haven't done it yet, there aren't enough drivers available for me yet.

Did you get it off MSDN unkel?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

WizZard wrote:
    Haven't done it yet, there aren't enough drivers available for me yet.

Did you get it off MSDN unkel?

yep, not enough drivers yet and hardly any preformance increase until we see true 64 bit apps. im gonna stick with 32bit for awile until drivers and appz go 64bit properly. I did some benchmarks previously on boards 32bit vs 64bit windows and the benchmarks were nearly identical using sandra (the 64bit version)

jozi wrote:
    I have a 20gig partition set asside for it just have to get round to installing it some time.
    1 quesion about it tho will 32bit applications still run? Will thay be less stable?

Jozi

Yes 32 bit apps will still run on it, but im not sure if they all will without any problems

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Apparently, you should expect about a 10% performance hit running Win32 apps. This is strange; other 64bit OSs for the AMD64 don't do this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,314 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The lack of interest here in moving to the xp 64 bit operating system is quite remarkable. I seem to remember how several people here justified buying a 64 bit CPU because of the impending OS move :)

Experience so far is it is working grand. The faster and the slower brothers don't bother each other. Good thing is you can identify the slower brothers in task manager as they have a " *32" (sans quotes) tag in the image name...

unkel wrote:
    The lack of interest here in moving to the xp 64 bit operating system is quite remarkable. I seem to remember how several people here justified buying a 64 bit CPU because of the impending OS move :)

Ah, I bought a 64bit CPU for the immediate OS move. Not the same OS tho ;)

I thought the drivers would be better, so I don't want to go x64 if my h/w is not properly supported - I'm good enough at breaking it myself, I don't need any help ;)

that seems to be why most peope wont use it, because of lack of decent drivers

• Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭LFCFan

Is there any problem running 32 bit OS and apps with the 64 bit AMD CPU's? Thinking of upgrading to a AMD64 soon!

• Advertisement

None whatsoever.

LFCFan wrote:
    Is there any problem running 32 bit OS and apps with the 64 bit AMD CPU's? Thinking of upgrading to a AMD64 soon!

no just the fact u get a kickass pentium whupping system , ;) LOL

• Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭LFCFan

gline wrote:
    no just the fact u get a kickass pentium whupping system , ;) LOL

That's what I like to hear :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

gline wrote:
    yep, not enough drivers yet and hardly any preformance increase until we see true 64 bit apps. im gonna stick with 32bit for awile until drivers and appz go 64bit properly. I did some benchmarks previously on boards 32bit vs 64bit windows and the benchmarks were nearly identical using sandra (the 64bit version)
    LOL
    I can remember the fuss over 16 bit vs 32 bit and the marketing fog about "32 bit disk access" but there was still a lot of 16 bit code under the bonnet of win9x and a lot of the apps that wouldn't run on NT.

Also when the pentium came out they rewrote compilers to reorder instructions to take advantage of the pipeline. Result faster apps - but the interesting result was that when you ran the apps on 486's they also got a speed boost in some cases. This meant that about half the supposed improvement of pentiums at the same clock speed was down to the compiler. (of course this only applies where you wern't using any of the newer instructions - isn't debian still 386 compatible ! )

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

I got it download last nite of microsoft. Is the evaluation one the same as the one you will be buying? (or is that not out yet)
    Might install it straight after work this evening and let you know first impressions as i get thing going again.

Jozi

I think the evaluation is RC2 but I'm not sure. Anyone hear anything yet about the "free" swap MS are supposed to be doing, ie. Windows XP 32-bit swapped for 64-bit free of charge ex. shipping?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭epgriffin

I have it installed here on a socket 754 3200+. It's nice and quick compared to my standard xp pro install. I wouldn't worry too much about a performance hit for 32bit apps. How many apps would you use regularly that require 100% CPU power anyway? Also a lot of the core is straight from server 2003 so that can make up for the initial loss of performance due to the WoW interface. As most have said, the only problem is drivers. I got lucky enough that the only parts of my system with no drivers support is a WinTV card and a firewire card. Sad as it sounds I really miss the WinTV card so I don't use it as primary OS just yet. Hauppauge have said that they have no immediate plans for drivers yet so I'm thinking about an AIW replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,608 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

it all depends if your hardware is supported or not. I don't think the likes of promise have 64bit drivers out yet for their addon sata cards, and creative sound card drivers are still in beta. The good thing is that 64 and 32bit drivers can be included in the same install package.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Features not supported in windows XP 64 bit

Re: free upgrade
    http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,119878,00.asp
    The availability of the operating systems comes long after the processors shipped. Microsoft has said it will offer a swap program for Windows Server 2003 that will let owners of systems with the AMD and Intel processors trade their current server operating system product for a version that supports the 64-bit systems at no additional cost.
    Don't get your hopes up, it's pcworld who have been known to be factually inaccurate, also microsoft have done stuff like only give upgrades to US customers, customers who bought before a certain date (cf terminal server client licenses), retail / corporate customers / oem - might apply to all / one / none

M$ Ireland
    have a look around http://www.microsoft.com/ireland/windowsxp/64bit.asp
    contact http://www.microsoft.com/ireland/contact/

Hmmm, looks like Windows Media Player isn't included. I suppose I'll finally have to switch!

• Advertisement

Hmm, they've finally killed off NetBEUI, NetMeeting and a few other Windows eccentricities. Oh eek, no CD writing or DVD playback. And at least a gig of ram. How silly. What does it use it for?

Windows XP 64-Bit Edition does not provide support for features aimed primarily at users of portable computers. The following features are not included:

* Hot docking/undocking does it support SCSI or USB hot swap ??
    * PC Card PCMCIA
    * IrDA Infra Red
    * Power Management noise / ESB etc.

The System Restore feature is not supported in Windows XP 64-Bit Edition. :eek: but it does have something similar - right ? :rolleyes:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/08/31/avalon_winfs_decoupled/
    Does anyone know when 64 bit windows as originally intended will be released ??
    With WinFS and all that other good stuff that they were pimping a while back.
    SP2 anyone :D

TBH. I'm not really excited about it, I still say that Dos 5 was the last major OS that Microsoft released that didn't need two service packs/releases before it settled down (stable/promised features/beta faults & holes sorted)

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/08/31/avalon_winfs_decoupled/
    Does anyone know when 64 bit windows as originally intended will be released ??
    With WinFS and all that other good stuff that they were pimping a while back.
    SP2 anyone :D
    2035. ;) But seriously, that feature was NEVER planned for XP64; it was for Longhorn. Longhorn will be out (sans fancy filesystem) sometime this decade.

Nonsense, Microsoft never, ever misses delivery dates. Now sit back and enjoy Windows Cairo, which has WinFS and many other magic features, and which runs on 16mb of RAM. You HAVE had it since 1994, haven't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,608 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

erm, read:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prka_fea_tfiu.asp

That link from before was for itanium, NOT amd64, which is the OS just released.

The AMD64 version of windows has everything the regular windows XP has.

Advertisement