Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How to find out if seller=owner

Options
  • 06-04-2005 1:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭

I'm in the process of buying a second-hand car from a private seller.

Is there an easy way for me to find out that he is indeed the owner of the car he's selling?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Ask to see the vehicle licensing certificate. If his name is on it, he's the owner. Although if his name isn't on it, doesn't necessarily mean he *isn't* the legal owner, but it's a good place to start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Ernie Ball wrote:
    I'm in the process of buying a second-hand car from a private seller.

Is there an easy way for me to find out that he is indeed the owner of the car he's selling?

Thanks.

Also I have found it good to check number plate with Garda to check if any out standing bank fees/stolen and so on.....all you need is number plate.....

Mate of mines parents bought a car down the country.....anyway after about 3 months a company showed up looking for there money for the car.....the car was on HP or watever and owner never paid off fully!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

Thanks for the quick responses.

Are the Garda the only people to call about outstanding loans or is there some kind of financial office that checks on this sort of thing as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fr Dougal

There's a financial offiice in the business park in Clonskeagh, beside Phillips. I don't know the company name.

They charce about €10. What they do is tell you either
    a. There is no record of finance against the car or
    b. Advise you to consullt a certain bank.

They do not give you any information on what's outstanding but you can assume, if they advise you to contact the bank there is something due.

I used the Garda when I was buying before....but then it was a friend of the family so was done for free...not sure how he checked but I know other poeple have gone in and asked and they gave the info....

Not sure about compnay Fr Dougal mentioned....never heard of them but could be an idea!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

Big Nelly wrote:
    I used the Garda when I was buying before!

did that many times. you show your id , give guys name and car registration with current location (just incase is doggy)

but he should have some kind of documents

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Do driving licenses have the address on them? (can't remember the last time I looked at mine!) - if so, then ask for the vendor to bring his/her license along with the vehicle license cert, and the addresses should match.

Eoin

eoin_s wrote:
    Do driving licenses have the address on them? (can't remember the last time I looked at mine!) - if so, then ask for the vendor to bring his/her license along with the vehicle license cert, and the addresses should match.

Eoin

Yeah it has address but that was just the address they where at when the license was issued......the address on mine is an old one so cant really count on that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Big Nelly wrote:
    Yeah it has address but that was just the address they where at when the license was issued......the address on mine is an old one so cant really count on that!!

Good point Nelly (same in my case as well actually). One easy test would be to tell the vendor you want to meet up at his / her house to view the car (or to make the payment or whatever). That address and the one on the licensing cert should match. (except again in my case as I have moved since. I'm sorta shooting myself in the foot here methinks...)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

HP Autodata 01-2600905

They charge around €15.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

Thanks, lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

bazz26 wrote:
    HP Autodata 01-2600905

They charge around €15.

Any idea who is behind this company? I've just had a look in the telephone directory and they're not listed as HP Autodata and I've checked the CRO website for a business of this name: nada. I'm looking for this type of service at the moment meself, but no point in ringing up an unknown crowd and paying 10 quid for a 'vehicle check' without knowing their background and validity of their sources. It's not the 15 quid I'm concerned about, it's the few grand I'm thinking of spending on the car that I'm worried about.

Do they advertise at all? I regularly see ads in UK mags for HPI checks. Not many Irish mags to compare with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

I don't think they are actually called 'HP Autodata' (..people just call them that).

They are actually the head body for financial companies in Ireland - their main business is to collect and supply information to banks, etc.

I have used them before also. Back then they would not take credit card payments over the phone, so I called in (down the same driveway as Philips in Clonskeagh, seperate building on left).

......I too do not understand why they don't advertise this service ?!

Silvera.

Advertisement