Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advise on car auctions

Options
  • 06-04-2005 1:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭

I am looking for advice for a friend of mine who is considering going to a garda run car auction in New Ross Co Wexford. Aparently these auctions are ran every thursday and they are cars that the gardai have ceased and are selling them on. Just wondering has anyone ever been to one of these types of auctions and would the cars be any good? I take it they would be roadworthy if the gardai are selling them on. Any feedback on this would be greatfully appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Any car sold at auction is sold as seen and may not be roadworthy. It is possible to pick up a real bargain, but you have to have a good eye. Bear in mind that you cannot test drive a car but if you talk nice to the auction staff, they might just give you the keys and allow you to start it up to see how it runs, check the interior etc. It's not a place for an ammeture to go to buy on their first visit. At the very least visit a few times to see how the whole thing works before buying and whatever you do, work out the max price you're prepared to pay for a particular car and don't go over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭lilulila

Thanks a mill we are bringing a friend with us who is fairly mechanical to suss the cars out but have decided to go a couple of time first to test the water. Im fairly sceptical about it to be honest but my friend reckons he would get a decent car for much less than you would pay in a dealership. Is he just dreaming?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

lilulila wrote:
    I take it they would be roadworthy if the gardai are selling them on.
    No experience, but I sincerely doubt that's the case. Most auctions have items sold "as is", and I would expect the same to apply to Garda auctions as they just want to shift these motors as quickly as possible.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

lilulila wrote:
    Thanks a mill we are bringing a friend with us who is fairly mechanical to suss the cars out but have decided to go a couple of time first to test the water. Im fairly sceptical about it to be honest but my friend reckons he would get a decent car for much less than you would pay in a dealership. Is he just dreaming?

it will be cheaper , but no warranty or come back...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

lilulila wrote:

Check out Car Buyers Guide and the buy and sell for private sales then - this way you can avoid a dealer, and still get the car tested properly by an independent mechanic, or someone you know who is able to have a good look.

What kind of car / budget do you have in mind?

• Advertisement
Advertisement